Holo Audio: one of the best dacs ever? J Atkinson, H Reichert, S Deckert, M Lavorgna, GoldenSound, D Abramson and the Stereophile reviewers think so. Stereophile A+ and POY 2020

Tim is great very knowledgeable

1 Like

Also answered every question I have ever posed to him within 24 hrs and if you e-mail him late in the evening quicker than that.

1 Like

Yes I was impressed with the support. He was sending me emails late on a Friday night.

1 Like

Regarding Transferable warranty on HOLO products. Tim at KitsTune just told me said that the warranty is transferable to the second owner.

So for Example the Spring 3 I am selling will come with the full warranty. This can just be done once.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s good to know, as it takes away some of the hesitancy of purchasing a new unit.

1 Like

I am curious about your first impressions about the sound.

I was out of town on vacation for a couple days and today was my longest listening session but so far it is exceeding my expectations. My most significant sonic takeaway is what I would best describe as realism. That might not be the best subjective word but the best I can describe it is when for instance there is a loud drum hit, it can startle you. Itā€™s been a while since I had the MSB Select II demo but I do remember having the same experience when demoing that after having the DSD for some time. I would assume that has something to do with the dynamic range but I could be wrong. Another thing that is very noticeable is instrument separation, which I was surprised I could hear so easily. The DAC has been rock solid so far and no issues outside of the bug with Roon.

Iā€™ll be able to spend more time this weekend listening but so far I will say that this is the least expensive DAC Iā€™ve had in this system but itā€™s easily one of the best Iā€™ve heard.

3 Likes

How many miles do you have on it so far. Most report that at 500 hours is when it really starts to break free and improvements up to 1000 hours.

I had the Spring 3 KTE with PreAmp and i had a similar experience to what you have stated.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure that I believe in break in but Iā€™ve never owned a May before so Iā€™m keeping an open mind about it. I got a week ago today and Iā€™ve left it playing so its roughly been playing for 168 hours.

The sonic characteristics I was describing were between the May and the DSD, not between the May when I got it and now. My preamp has multiple balanced inputs and Iā€™m able to set the volume independently on each input, so I should be able to do a level matched blind AB test between the two. This might seem kinda silly given how much better the May sounds than the DSD but I do believe in all that science stuff and I understand my audio memory is short and bias is real so it will be fun to blind test the two of them.

4 Likes

Hi there Clifton @waymanchen11. When do you get to borrow the May?

I am really curious about your impressions.

And also your feedback on hdmi cables. I still have my dealerā€™s Dragon, and I am ready to try it again based on your experience.

Also curious if the Matrix will improves things in your system like it does in mine, and if you find differences in usb cables.

Phil, what type of power cords have you tried with the May?

1 Like

Itā€™s a bit of a long story.
When I had the DS, I had an Acoustic Systems International, Franck Tchang designed power cord from the wall to my P20. I donā€™t think itā€™s available in the US.
Most of my other PCs were WW Silver.
I upgraded the ASI with a WW Platinum Electra, and after some experimentation, used the ASI on the DS.

When I got the May, I wanted to have a fair fight, so I didnā€™t change anything.

So long story short, I use the ASI on the May, and the WW silvers on everything else. I should try a WW silver on the May, but the system sounds so good, I just listen to music and I donā€™t feel like swapping and experimenting ā€¦

What do you use?

Phil,
Please give a link for your ASI power cord as I have not heard of it and am curious as that old cat.

1 Like

https://asi-resonators.asi-resonators.com/liveline_cables.html

But I think heā€™s retired and the cables are no longer available, sadly.

I think my friend have enough hours on the May to sound pretty good. I will arrange a time with him and now with the Esoteric back, we really gonna hear what this May is all about. Will keep you posted.

2 Likes

Break-in is very real with this DAC. I have had the May KTE for a bit now, and can testify that the sound changed quite a bit from first play to past the 500 hour mark (for me). After 500 hours, it has settled down for the most partā€¦just so liquid and focused. Great soundstage dimensionality, precise and airy imaging with great focus. I came from top of the line Auralic, Denafrips, PS Audio and moreā€¦but the May KTE is King in my book, for now at least.

1 Like

By the way.
I am a MW 4 kind of guy, like you.

I just tried to push the P20 from MW 4 to 6.

On the DS, it was unbearable, especially on violins and sopranos. Distorted and painful. A step to far.

With the May, itā€™s amazing, so far, on pop and rock, and some classical, but I have to spend some more time with it to be sure.

YMMV, to my ears etc

1 Like

Yes, and @brett66 nailed it completely in his review:

'My only other ā€˜realā€™ DAC has been the PS Audio Directstream for the past 3 years. In the last few months I owned it I replaced the transformers and analog power supply. Both opened my ears to better sound but both pale in comparison to the first few hours with the May DAC. No contest.

Initial thoughts and feelings. A natural sound that well sounds real to my brain. Dynamics are improved significantly. Decay is silly good, the DS has zero in comparison. Trailing notes or ambient space reflections seems to go on in a very natural way fading as they would in real life.

There is an increased feeling of ease despite the increase in dynamics as if the energy is delivered in time much more precisely vs. the DS. Time domain goodness. It just feels right. I donā€™t want to gush too much as I expect there will be some dark break in days to come but Iā€™m confident weā€™ll come through those based on what Iā€™ve heard already.ā€™

The decay is what I noticed immediately, especially on classical and jazz. Probably linked to the huge difference in SINAD between the two dacs, but maybe not, who knows.
Hats off to @brett66, the pioneer who helped me transform my system. I never thought a change of dac would have such a huge impact. I have Ā« invested Ā» a lot in my system this year, but this is by very far the best bang for the buck.

Thanks. Itā€™s interesting to hear what others have tried. Iā€™m using a Shunyata Alpha NR. I also have some Iconoclasts BAV cables I could try but to be honest everything sounds so good so far I havenā€™t tried. This product seems so well engineered I wonder how much difference an aftermarket power cable makes a difference over the stock. I might give it a try just for fun.

1 Like

I never tried the stock Chinese cable as I went straight to my go to DAC power cord a Triode Wire Labs Digital American. As with every other component Iā€™m pretty sure different power cords will make some difference whether you like the difference or not.

Wonder what an upgraded umbilical cord might do for the May? The one I got from Brad for the Supratek preamp made a drastic difference. The stock umbilical with the May does appear to be considerably better built than most supplied ones but one can only wonder.

1 Like