Holo Audio: one of the best dacs ever? J Atkinson, H Reichert, S Deckert, M Lavorgna, GoldenSound, D Abramson and the Stereophile reviewers think so. Stereophile A+ and POY 2020

It’s an interesting point, and a good question.

I canceled my Stereophile subscription a decade ago or so, so I couldn’t say with any certainty how many awards were given to products, from companies that don’t advertise.

1 Like

I imagine there is a actually a good number who have received rave reviews and awards without advertising. For example, there are quite a few pro audio pieces of kit who never advertised which received accolades.

But it makes perfect sense that most would have advertised. High-end audio is a niche interest with few avenues for contacting clientele, primarily audio magazines. Of course they would have likely advertised before being reviewed, winning awards, etc. There also those with heavy market acceptance (Maganapan, Audio Research, Pass, Quad, etc.) who advertise little and receive review rave reviews.

1 Like

I have observed no definitive evidence to support this general conclusion. I understand the supposition, I just don’t share your observation/perspective about this.

Rather, I subscribed to and peruse H-Fi rags (digital and print) because I am confident they will review a wide variety of generally worthy equipment that I would never have a chance to stare at or listen to left to my own devices. It helps me to dream and develop short lists when I am in the market for something.

I read an editor’s answer to the ubiquitous nay-sayer’s question, “How come there are no bad reviews” once that made sense and rang true to me. His answer was something along the line of (summarizing): “we have limited space and resources in our publications and it would do our readers no service to spend those resources on equipment that is not known or expected to perform well.”

All that said, I have no doubt that manufacturers are often able to coordinate advertising with the publication of a favorable review. I just don’ share the often-cited conspiracy theory that ties good reviews to advertising dollars. I am not saying or in a position to know that it never happens, I just don’t think that is the general way of things.

No offense, @Phil , your comment just reminded me of folks that constantly harangue the Hi-Fi media industry for being inherently corrupt. (Maybe I am just naive?)

Be well.

SEE

3 Likes

You’re a good man, Charlie Brown.

2 Likes

…as, apparently, are you…

I really appreciate being able to visit this oasis of civility, that is the PSA forum.

And, I appreciate your contributions and obvious attempts to keep things civil.

We could use some more @Phil/civility in the world.

5 Likes

Spot on Phil !!

1 Like

Thank you @scotte1 and @twablt.
I am honored and humbled by your comments,
I don’t deserve your praise, I am just an enthusiast trying to help my fellow audiophiles.
As we speak l am listening to Ella singing the Cole Porter book, and there’s no higher bliss … except maybe for Schubert …
Who cares about the dac or amplifier or speaker, it’s our beloved music that speaks to us …

1 Like

Once again spot on regarding it’s ALL about the music !!
Ella has THE most wonderful female voice I have ever heard !!

1 Like

You are very smart and kind people @twablt, and @scotte1.

I am really digging that DAC component stand.

Is it a custom job? (I note the almost perfect matching black color - well done). :wink:

Thanks for sharing the “shoot out” observations.

Cheers.

PS

That component stand looks an awfully lot like the high-tech, multi-purpose, folding table (read “TV dinner table”) that keeps my side surround speakers at the perfect height in my system.

SEE

1 Like

Great discussion, gentlemen!

1 Like

Aw…shucks @Phil. Thank you.

SEE

[The check is in the mail.]

1 Like

Very long after we are all dead, Schubert, Chopin, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms etc will still be alive. And Duke Ellington and Ella.

Unlike us, they are immortal.

Our petty discussions and differences about the best speaker, amp and dac will be long gone, and they will still illuminate the lives of future generations. They are my best proof of the existence of God.

What do you think @Elk ?

Here Here ! Buy that man a drink on me !

1 Like

Don’t laugh! That’s a high tech Chinese folding stool. Yes, and it does really sound as good as it looks. Perfect height for the purpose it is used. :joy:

2 Likes

You’re a good man too, Charlie Brown :slightly_smiling_face:

FYI: Just received the Pumpkin shaped LP of Charlie Brown Haloween.
Will be listening tonight.

1 Like

What a coincidence :+1::joy:

1 Like

Just pulled it up via Qobuz…

Fun stuff/right time of the year…!

1 Like