Hooking an OPPO player to the DSD Sr

hooking an OPPO player (movies playback) to the DSD sr:

plugged in via HDMI from player and no sound…what else needs to be connected between the two?

If you are trying to connect the HDMI from the OPPO into the I2S on the DSD it won’t work because they are two different formats (hdmi video vs I2S). You will need to use Toslink or SPDIF/Coax.

2 Likes

using the Oppo for sound with movies…
i am coming out of player on HDMI and plugged into the (samsung) TV HDMI connection (DVI input)…then signal coming out the TV is routed through a Fiber Optical connection to the DSD…

So movie player > TV > DSD…picture is present no sound output.

until i installed/moved equipment around, all worked as asked…(or i don’t know what the F i’m doing wrong…including i should have looked it over 1st)

1 Like

So it was definitely working before? I ask because if the HDMI was using a DVI input then you might not get sound as strictly speaking DVI is video only (unless I"m misunderstanding what you are saying). If you had sound before and you connected it back the same way the most likely explanation would be a loose cable - even Toslink cables can come free (especially on some socket types). Another issue maybe that on some TVs (like the LG I have) you need to go into the TV sound option menus to select the Toslink output - it may have been reset if the TV was off for a while. Also check for the same kind of thing on the Oppo player i.e. is it set to output sound through the connection you are using (HDMI).

thank you!
DVI was the wrong option…then i’ll try again (and again)…

1 Like

Make sure the digital output is set to PCM, and not Dolby Digital. It may default to DD, if it was unplugged.
Another option would be to go straight from the Oppo digital output to the DSD, unless you use the DSD for watching TV too.
Third option would be stereo analog outs from Oppo to analog input on preamp. Or analog outs on HDTV to your preamp would work too.
DSD will probably result in best sound.

You might have to go into the TV settings and turn on the optical output. I know that’s what I had to do on my TV.

This is why I haven’t even tried taking an HDMI cable and connecting it to the HDMI “Audio Only” output of my Sony UBP-X1000ES into my SGCD’s I2S input. I don’t think they are compatible and I don’t want to damage either boxes by “experimenting”. If Paul’s says NO ! It mean NO !

I use the S/PDIF for all my 2.0 channel PCM/AAC/mp3 files and discs. I use the Sony’s built in DAC for playback of 5.6MHz/11.2MHz DSD files via the RCA outs and the SGCD’s RCA in’s. My Sony STR-DN1080 HDMI link’s to the Sony 1000ES for 5.1 SACD’s/DSD files, and DVD-Audio using my hacked 5.1 fixed level/volume bypassed true Balanced Outputs. The L & R front’s volume is always controlled by the SGCD/Preamp/M700x2. While the Center and Surrounds use the Sony 1080’s internal amps (next year I’d like get an S300 for the rear left & right).

I believe PS Audio had a list of other manufacturer’s disc transports that are I2S compatible.

Cheers to the weekend folks,
Joe

1 Like

This is why I haven’t even tried taking an HDMI cable and connecting it to the HDMI “Audio Only” output of my Sony UBP-X1000ES into my SGCD’s I2S input. I don’t think they are compatible and I don’t want to damage either boxes by “experimenting”

They aren’t compatible at all as they are completely different standards which just happen to use the same cable. So there is absolutely no point in doing it even if you knew for certain it was safe.

1 Like

Thank you… each and every suggestion helped me isolate the problem…

seems my Samsung Plasma is the culprit…so, the work around…was to use the Coax connections from Oppo to PSA…i guess the coax cable price trumps the costs of TV repair.
until i moved the equipment to a new stand, Oppo > DVI input on TV > PSA was the original path…:sunglasses::+1:

1 Like