How about concert photos?

I am so envious, here in the NYC area there is nothing going on as we are still in early opening phase. Add I have immunodeficiency difficulties so it’ll be a while but it’ll be when I can go to a live event that this long nightmare will be at an end.

I have been playing some outside gigs, but they are few. The next is for National Night Out this coming Tuesday evening.

1 Like

We’ve not been to anything since early Feb, all shows has been cancelled in our area.

Events are currently very limited, but there are lots of rumours of pop-up events and events being planned on relatively short notice. People are feeling relatively safe in London and the south of England. In London, well over 10 million people, in the last month we’ve had about 1,500 confirmed cases, compared to Florida and Calif that have 10,000+ per day. Restaurants are busy and there isn’t a hotel room or airbnb available in the UK until about October. You have to pre-book everything, people are fine about that, simple things like in a restaurant you look at the menu online, they don’t hand out paper or plastic menus. Masks are mandatory in shops, but not outdoors.

A very dull attempt at a concert this evening. We walked past without stopping for long.

2 Likes

Back at Peckham Levels, the car park venue.

6 Likes

The Royal Ballet is hiding somewhere here

3 Likes

acoustics ok there (for piano music at least)?
puts me in mind of Hawkwind and their penchant for playing under concrete flyovers and the like back in t he day!

Acoustics were OK, there were quite a few trains that were a bit annoying an a lorry at one point. We’ve been to other events at Peckham - dance last year with Sharon Eyal and a huge company and very loud music that was superb. Better suited to that. They have some more concerts lined up in the next few weeks at Peckham and may still go.

1 Like

No dancers in the picture due to copyright, but a nice Tudor house with beautiful gardens and plenty of room for a stage and 300 punters, mainly dressed in linen and cashmere. The round building is a dovecote, full of white doves that were flying around in the evening sun, with was a nice touch. Dancers can be seen here:

1 Like

Loud music to drown out modern life outside!

Socially distanced Bach violin sonatas.
Rachel Podger and Kristian Bezuidenhout. Musicians of the highest order.

There are 1 or 2 concerts live streamed daily and they can be watched later here:

Tomorrow is the start of an Igor Levit Beethoven cycle. Should be great, as I went to his last cycle. Going to the start of another one by Gabriele Carcano that ends on New Year’s Eve.

3 Likes

One seriously good evening of music

Beethoven. Sonata for Cello and Piano No. 5, Op. 102 No. 2 - Andrei Ioniță, Samson Tsoy
Stravinsky. Duo Concertant for violin and piano - Alina Ibragimova, Pavel Kolesnikov
Schubert. Piano Sonata in B flat Major D 960 - Elisabeth Leonskaja

4 Likes

Good to see concerts in some genres are going ahead :slight_smile:

Sadly, I read today the the 1.5 Billion quid earmarked for the arts in July in the UK remains unallocated here in October due to the complexity of the application process (standard Gvmt trick - see also disability benefits).

Worse than this, it seems to be aimed at theatres and concert halls in the main, and the vast majority of freelance staff (engineering, FOH, Rigging, etc. etc.) and musicians are ineligible for any help anyway.

Basically, any type of arts (or any other) employment is only protected if it is something that those in power understand, so that’s mainly white collar office jobs and maybe the odd orchestra only.

We need more musicians, artists, (and scientists!) and “alternative” people in government.

Note - admin - NOT intended to be political, this is the sort of thing going on in many places under many flavours of gvmt.

3 Likes

Ray Vega’s Latin Jazz Quintet
City Hall Park
Burlington, Vermont
October 17, 2020

6 Likes

Mike Stern, Leni Stern, Chris Minh Doky David “Fingers” Haynes. Another great concert today.

4 Likes

Magan Esfahani tonighr. A wonderful recital.

4 Likes

5 Likes

Pandit Jasraj was one of India’s greatest classical vocalists. He died at 90 last August after a 75 long year career. I was fortunate enough to attend and photograph a master class he held in 2006.

2 Likes

Does Del only let Barry keep two stings on his bass? :thinking: