How is it possible to have a profile picture within Paul's posts?

I first thought, just Paul is allowed to have one, but the I saw others managed that, too…but how?

The forum picture didn’t apply and I didn’t find another way…

I do not know, but it may be dependent on whether you signed up through the forum or through Paul’s Posts. They appear to operate a bit differently even though there is substantial overlap.

As a non-avatar type I never noticed. (I block all avatars so I need not see them.)

Thanks ELK, maybe someone else has a hint.

For me the reason to read with Avatars is, that structure is better readable and people posting can easily be differentiated.

I appreciate there are others who like avatars. Go figure. :slight_smile:

Curiosity: what do you mean “structure is better readable?”

I mean I can better follow who answerd and posted where in the thread when scrolling up/down without having to always read the names in detail

it’ the same reason icons and symbols are used in software

In the recent past, you could usually pick out soundmind by the lack of brevity alone…1_gif

Elk said I do not know, but it may be dependent on whether you signed up through the forum or through Paul's Posts. They appear to operate a bit differently even though there is substantial overlap.

As a non-avatar type I never noticed. (I block all avatars so I need not see them.)

I didn’t find another way to register or sign in to Pauls Posts. There seems to be just one registration/sign in process, valid for both, also the forum. I guess I’ll PM one of the guys who managed to get an avatar in Pauls posts and tell here as soon as I know.

Paul’s Post pictures are automatic once you register your avatar, which is handled by a service outside of PS called Gravatar which stands for Globally Recognized Avatar.

Click the name and you’ll go to the Gravatar site. Register your avatar (mug shot) and whenever you post on a site that uses them, like Paul’s Posts, you’ll appear.

got it, thanks…the internet is full of surprises!

The downside is that using the same identity on multiple sites makes it easier for the ‘big data’ folks to track your activities.

correct, this was also my first thought! But you can register as many email addresses with different avatars as you want and use them each for only one site if you want.