How many use the DSJ as their preamp vs DSJ into a dedicted Preamp?

I tried my DS Jr directly into my PBN Audio amp bypassing my Liberty Audio preamp and the sound was dark and compressed. I have gone back to DS Jr > Liberty Audio preamp > PBN Amp. Way better sound for me. The switch was a complete 180.

I always tell people to try it both ways and see what you like.

David Bernat said . . . 'less is always more'.
Logical, and one would think this would always be the case. But, as many have learned, the improvements rendered by a good preamp can vastly outweigh any downside. I agree this makes little sense. but try it if you get a chance.
1 Like

Elk - Yeah - it’s a bit like saying, “I only need a phono pre, because it’s less amplification”.

badbeef said

Elk - Yeah - it’s a bit like saying, “I only need a phono pre, because it’s less amplification”.

Logical or just a good rule of thumb? I mean to say any part of a system or indeed any part of a piece of equipment could be regarded as “bad” if we extended that logic. I think like all rules of thumb, it is right most of the time. From an engineering point of view, there is actually a sound “logic” to using an inline device to re-balance the input and output impedance between two devices and to provide gain. As long as this additional device (the preamp) doe not act in a destructive way (raising distortion and so forth) then it could actually be argued as being the default choice rather than something to be avoided.

I tried using both low and high gain when plugging my DSJ into my amp. The direct connection sounded okay but always left me “wanting”. However when I inserted the Calypso between the DSJ and amp it was like a new world of sound opened up. Not a minor tweak but a vast improvement.

This is wasn’t a minor tweak and I bought the Calypso used fully thinking I would have to resell it. In my head I kept saying to myself I can’t see how this would help. I don’t need input switching and the DSJ has great volume control.

All I can say is that, for me and my system, the sound differential was night and day. I’m now afraid to try the BHK for fear I might "need " one!

Thanks for your welcomes to the forum. I’ve been reading for a while and this drove me to start sharing.

Brian

David Bernat said

I bypass the preamp option on my Headamp GSX Mk2 and go straight to gain stage, which is more than sufficient to drive my Audeze LCD-4’s. I believe that when it comes to putting electronics in between the source and your ears, ‘less is always more’.

After speaking with Justin at Headamp today, I have to correct this post by me. Justin told me that the GSX Mk2 contains circuits within it that perform the essential functions of a preamp. The “preamp” switch on the GSX actually allows the user to bypass the GSX amplifier in the event one wants to have the unit also connect to an external amp that generates current to drive loudspeakers (which, generally speaking, the GSX Mk2 does not do – it is configured for use with headphones). So, in fact, I actually do run my signal through what is tantamount to a preamp, and I stand corrected.

Anthony said

Interested in knowing how many use the DSJ as their preamp vs DSJ into a dedicted Preamp? I believe Dennis has stated that using the DSJ without a seperate preamp is the “prefered” option.

I use my DS Jnr directly into an Arcam P49 power amp. Without the attenuator engaged there’s a little background hiss audible from my listening position. With the attenuator engaged these’s no hiss but I can’t quite drive my system loud enough. (The speakers are Quad 2805 electrostatics.)

Try a preamp… Your ears will be glad you did - your banker, not so much!

A preamp may, or may not, sound better in a given system. It would get rid of the hiss without the attenuator. It may also give the amp a better fighting chance powering the fairly insensitive Quad 2805. I would give a it a try, but there are no guarantees.

Put my Pre-Amp (Audio Electronics Supply AE3-DJH) back in over the weekend… What a difference! It is staying in for good… SOOOO much better with the Pre-Amp in the system…

Had Parasound P7, DSJr sounded better standalone, needed switching ability, bite the bullet and got a BHK pre-amp. WOW! BHK rocks!

It sounds like the preamp section in DSJr is pretty decent but once into higher quality preamps like BHK or Calypso the differences get larger? Wonder how some other preamps compare…

David said

Had Parasound P7, DSJr sounded better standalone, needed switching ability, bite the bullet and got a BHK pre-amp. WOW! BHK rocks!

David said

Had Parasound P7, DSJr sounded better standalone

No surprise there. DSJ is twice the price of Parasound P7. DSJ is a 2.0 DAC/pre, P7 is a 7.1 preamp. The 2 devices are built for different purposes.

I am running a DS Sr. into a Line Magnetic 219 via the ‘amp’ input. Compared to running it into the 219 via integrated (vol. pot) side of the amp, there is a noticeable difference. A lot more resolving when bypassing the vol. pot and 12ax7 section of the 219. The DS Sr. and 219 sound fantastic together using the DS as the pre!

Hi, a bit late to the thread. I am running a DSJ into M700’s. I get the hiss which i understand is part of the DSD treatment in the DSJ. Did your pre-amp reduce/eliminate this?

Cheers

Everyone’s mileage may -and does- vary. But in my application, the introduction of a preamp did improve things plus I do need it now as I combine digital AND analog sources.

Had the DSjr straight to a McIntosh MC-152 power amp for a while, sounded good but maybe not “exactly the sound I was looking for”. Someone lent me a Marantz 7 that they had lying around and the addition did offer something new, more organic to the sound and a tad better bass too.

As a result I purchased a McIntosh MA-6600 whose preamp is really sweet. And the synergy with the DSjr is very, very nice indeed. Superior I’d say.

I was using the preamp feature in my DSJr but recently tried some of Schiit’s products. First the Saga and now the Freya.

I have to say, music is much more organic sounding, separation of instruments are better but the biggest improvements are soundstage dimensions - much less flat! For such a modest price of entry for a Saga, it’s an easy upgrade.

The preamp has to be a certain quality before it can improve the sound. I tried a couple of preamps before on the DS Sr and both improved the sound. The Bruce Moore I had before made the sound more vivid and richer. The Esoteric C-02 I use now is a night and day difference. Everything opened up with more space and more real sounding instruments in the room with the C-02. I don’t care what they say , but when you turn down the volume on the dac, you are reducing the bits. They say the bits starts out so high that it doesn’t matter, but they also say that with 44k, you shouldn’t hear the difference to 192k because 44k is beyond your hearing anyway. But I do hear the difference between 44k and 192k recordings. I did try turning up the volume all the way and using the dac to turn down the sound and it is not as good so go figure.

With the DS you aren’t reducing the bits (all bits always have the correct effect on the output regardless of volume setting), but you are moving the overall output level closer to the DS’s fixed analog noise floor. A preamp allows you to, in effect, lower the signal (and the noise floor) to better match the rest of your system. At that point the digital volume control of the DS may indeed be better than the analog volume control of your preamp (or not.)

I think a good preamp is often the best choice, but the quality of the DS’s volume control isn’t the reason.

3 Likes