HURON UpDate "Japanese" sounding

the overall balance of frequencies is High Frequency Dominant – i miss the Torrey overall tonal balance WITH a strong bass…

Except for the Lack of any real bass, FANTASTIC IMPROVEMENTS across the board!!

i have updated 2 of my DS DAC’s with the Huron update…both systems now lack deep bass info…

what’s up with this update?

thanks for any help (in advance)!

Most are reporting better bass.

If you are using digital speaker correction, digital room correction or a cross over to a sub or a sub with a phase knob you might want to readjust the appropriate controls for Huron.

If you don’t have any of those, there’s a smaller possibility that you might want to adjust your main speaker position.

A very few have reported better bass with Huron but that it’s more controlled than Torreys.

Ted, i appreciate the suggestions…

no equalizing applied anywhere…i am a purest.

there is no or little Deep Bass signal to work with - Out of Contol…even after 6 days…

If by “Japanese” you mean “hifi”, I’m feeling that generally. It seems to require adjustment of the system to adapt to the changes. Ted has mentioned a change in the phase of the bass, so it may involve adjusting the phase and/or position of your subs if you have them, or moving your speakers. Most feel it is brighter, and a fix for that is toeing your speakers out some, which with most speakers results in you hearing the tweeters less on-axis, resulting in less treble. As long as it doesn’t kill the solidity of the center image, you also get a bigger soundstage.

Huron has a lot of positive qualities, but going in, I didn’t feel like Torreys was deficient. So, jury’s still out for me. I like to do long-term listening of stuff, so I’m going to give it a while before I start with the MQA-type raves ; ). (…and I say again - ; ). I’ll be perfectly happy to be proven slow on the uptake.

If I recall correctly from the DSSr. Thread, it’s possible that the sound may change with a reboot after install, if you haven’t already done that.

maybe i should Qualify that i used a 3rd Octave Analyzer (in desperation) and the bass is basically missing in play – Directly in front of either/both speakers @ 1 meter

it’s hard to imagine that the IRS Infinity speakers (et al.) that showcased the PS A components in UTube, will need to be realigned with every update? repositioning the 4 speakers? Really??

If you didn’t notice the last sentence of badbeef’s post, you might want to power off and back on if you didn’t after the Huron update. And a few discovered that going back to Torreys and forward to Huron again (with one last power off and on) made all the difference. FWIW The bass level of Huron doesn’t measure any lower than Torreys - all releases of the DS software measure within a few 10ths of a dB across the audio range.

One more obscure difference that some have experienced, some tend to not turn Huron up quite as much as Torreys to hear the same detail. If you aren’t matching the levels carefully you’ll definitely perceive a change in balance.

Ted, the ON & OFF technique HAS helped…but, still has the “Japanese” signature…

Yes, maintaining ALL settings with just the OS switched is the ONLY way to compare/audition…

there really isn’t much info or weight below 250 Hz with Huron OS…Torreys wasn’t limited in deep bass reproduction and seemingly offering a overall flat frequency response top to bottom…

BUT, from 250 Hz up, Huron OS makes my DS DAC is the best sounding DAC I’ve heard. Bar none.

(Both my systems agree!)

Since the phase of the (very low) bass is a little more correct in Huron it will change the frequency response of the low bass in some rooms, but this doesn’t sound like your problem. All I can say is that they measure the same to well below the audio band. Some have also reported that a few days “burnin” makes a difference - I haven’t noticed that nor do I have anything more than speculation as to what could cause that but if the bass changes over the next few days let us know.

I’m curious by the “Japanese sounding” descriptor. Surely not the shrill of a final desperate bayonet charge for the Emperor of Japan by his troops against US Marines in the caves of Iwo Jima? Today we generally associate Japanese as good, rather than the way things used to be. Just curious on the descriptor, I haven’t come across that before in audio circles.

“Japanese” descriptors are not racially motivated - just to clarify that point. Having grown up in the 70’s and 80’s I can relate to it as a common way of describing the sound of HIFI gear. Another description for HIFI gear in the 70’s and 80’s was “American” and “British”. So to make a gross generalisation, “American” had fat bass with a slightly tipped up treble and “Japanese” was more detail oriented and thinner in the bass regions. A lot of solid state gear that was coming from Japan (or Asia) did fit that general stereotype. And gear from the US and the UK had their respective sound. With the passage of time, those generalisations have little meaning.

On the topic of Huron, I find the bass very deep and powerful yet clear. What I have found though is that the sound of the bass is more pronounced through my USB cable than it is streaming from Roon. I use a Curious Cable that is made here in Australia. So perhaps the balance of the sound is in some way related to the setup in your system.

Ted - hafta say though, the “toe-tap meter” - hell, the “foot-stompin’ meter” is happening in a big way with Huron kiss

Always a good sign. I just have to get my head around the changes.

“Well my mind is goin’ through them changes…” - Hendrix

(~;

i like your humor!

brodricj said

I’m curious by the “Japanese sounding” descriptor. Surely not the shrill of a final desperate bayonet charge for the Emperor of Japan by his troops against US Marines in the caves of Iwo Jima? Today we generally associate Japanese as good, rather than the way things used to be. Just curious on the descriptor, I haven’t come across that before in audio circles.

Ted Smith said

Since the phase of the (very low) bass is a little more correct in Huron it will change the frequency response of the low bass in some rooms, but this doesn’t sound like your problem. All I can say is that they measure the same to well below the audio band. Some have also reported that a few days “burnin” makes a difference - I haven’t noticed that nor do I have anything more than speculation as to what could cause that but if the bass changes over the next few days let us know.

Ted (& Badbeef and the other wonderful contributors)...Looks like i came to the Right place!

thanks!!..

the Rebooting was a EarOpener!..also i turned my amplifiers off and played at top volume level (100) overnight and the break-in period (6 days) concluded…

“PENALTY” RESOLVED for player…judges agree…truly today’s Stater-of-the-Art playback.