I'm not really getting any oomph or dynamics!

I have the SGD and an S300. Sources are a bluesound Node 2i and a pioneer stable platter cd player connected digital coax into the SGD. Speakers are Buchardt s300. All power and signal cables are of a good quality.
My speakers are based on my pretty sturdy desk and are on isolation pucks.
My room is 2.9m x 2.4m (9ft x7ft) and I listen about 5ft from the speakers.

It sounds ok-ish but given the expense I’m not really getting any oomph or dynamics.
The speakers are 4 ohm so the s300 has plenty of power to play with and there is some bass but music does not bop a long.

I’m just wondering whether I’ve done something wrong or I just have mismatched products but it just isn’t doing it for me.

Is it the speakers… the SGD and S300 is a winning combo right and in a small room it should be able to really make the music really work?

I’m always sorry to hear such experiences! In case you heard those speakers making oomph in another room or at the dealer, you might have cancellations as your small room combined with extreme near field monitoring is a bit special.

Did you try unusual positions for your speakers (also near corners or with a corner in the middle) and does this improve tonality (even if it’s not good for soundstaging etc.)? It takes a bit until I can answer again. It seems you don’t need more power but more weight (if it’s not the placement and room).

Thanks for the advice, I’m going to try a bit of experimenting at the weekend. I am very limited on positions I can use due to the room but I will experiment with all sorts I guess.

As I pointed out, I’m not sure, if those small speakers are capable of oomph generally. Additionally, in such a small room, room resonances are not supporting the typical oomph region (their first resonance in this room is at 60Hz, not around 40Hz), so they are not supporting deep bass response in this case. (good with large speakers, not so good with small ones). But you should get enough bass at 60Hz.

I know you have stated you have a smaller room but I found that some of the oomph that you may be missing maybe made up from even a small REL or other brand sub. Like T5i size. Initially, I honestly thought a sub would only help with low bass but it adds so much more than that. It adds that missing snap that I really wanted.

I have a sub which I used before I made changes and I’ll be trying it again. I did want to avoid it as I like the sound of just 2 speakers but it is worth the experiment. Thank you

1 Like

It’s important for us to find out what kind of oomph you mean. Rather a punchy bass or really deep bass. Due to the size of the speakers I guess you’re missing the punchy region more than the deepest bass. Many small speakers combined with subs suffer from a whole inbetween, which means they have add. deep bass then but no weight or punch above. However if you’re satisfied down to the 50-60Hz Region but not below, a sub will help.

The whole high end game without adjustment options is a mess unless you exactly know what you combine in which room.

Add to that you need to be sure, that the recording includes the deep bass - I have several cd’s which do not go as deep as I hoped for whereas others leave nothing to be desired…

1 Like

It might be your speakers. Did they have dynamics and oomph before and now with new electronics not? I would always look to the speakers to see if they have that capability. The Stellar pack should have plenty of dynamics.

Also, is the OOMPH he talks about really OOMPH, or is it boominess. Maybe the S300 tamed boominess that was present, and he misses that. Maybe not. At present, all any of us can do is conjecture!

DaveH

A couple of quick checks on speaker position

are your tweeters at listen ear level
are speakers anywhere near manufacture’s recommended distance from rear wall and or sidewalls
what is the first reflection point and are the wall features the same
what is on the back wall is it reflective or sound absorbing

all of these thing had major impact in my small listen space

Good Luck

Got an update fo the masses…?

Cheers.

Just always remember, the room is the other half of your speaker system, especially below 200Hz. You can use a laptop, some free RTA software, and a decent mic and assist your setup.

Hello, thanks for all the responses. To be honest I am and will continue to experiment with the system. I’ve attached a picture of the room. My desk is at a fixed height so I can work and the speakers go on there on ISO Pucks. I tried them right way up, upside down but the best result I got was with them on their sides with both the woofer and tweeter at ear height.

The picture is old now and I’m not at home right now but I have them pulled forward about a foot from the wall and they are about a foot from the sides. I have a cushion behind each one for a bit of bass absorption which was really to try and improve imaging.

I’ve also added my sub, a monitor audio RSW12 back into the mix and I’m trying to get that integrated properly.

Overall I’m more satisfied now but not completely satisfied but I have to admit time has been very limited over the last few week to be able to sit down and listen.

On the rear wall behind me is just the sofa I’m sitting on and a wall picture. The whole reflection point thing really confuses me as I have no idea how to check or what to do.

Thanks all for your advice and I’ll continue to listen and play.

1 Like

That is the largest pair of headphones I’ve ever seen. :grinning:

1 Like

FWIW, as mentioned earlier I believe, your overall performance is going to be limited by your speakers (and their placement in the room). SPLs (dynamics) are kind of like horsepower and, as the gearheads say, “There is no replacement for displacement”. (And I am talking about “natural aspiration” you nitpickers, so don’t be picking on me about turbos and supercharges and what not. :slight_smile: ) Have fun on your journey.

I’m sure that setup sounds a lot better near field. I’d move the tweeters to the inside and sit in the office chair and find the best spot. You have a lot to overcome in that setup to expect a lot from where you’re sitting in the pic.

I’ll give that a go. I want my listening position to be the sofa if I’m honest. That way I can chill after work and raise the volume a bit.

…then I suggest you stand mount those speakers out in space in front of the edge of your desk (and move them away from the side walls a bit) and do the subwoofer crawl to re-integrate your subwoofer.

As others have mentioned, mount the speakers such that the tweeters are at ear level at your preferred listening position. If you use some extra-length cables you can easily move the speakers back to your desk and coil up the extra cable length for near-field listening when not chilling at your location across the room.

Since you have a pretty small, but dedicated space, I think you will be able to find a really good, “best” location for your subwoofer. Here is a good resource for your consideration:

The Art of Subwoofer Placement

My $0.02. Have fun.

No offense, but this has to be one of the smallest listening room that I’ve ever seen. I am interested to see how things will turn out for you as we could end up having a smaller room like this due to downsizing as our hair gets grayer. Please keep us posted, thanks!