Installing Drivers on Windows Server 2012 Core

I’m a proud new owner of the DirectStream however am having issues with installing the USB drivers. The music PC is running Windows Server 2012 in Core mode (this was a good step up from full mode which in turn was an incredible jump from Windows 8).

When I run the driver setup it failed at the pre-installing psaudioks.inf step. This leads me to suspect that the issue may be because Core mode does not have Kernel Streaming. Can the ASIO drivers be installed individually? Or is there another way?

Have also tried manually installing through Device Manager > browse to the driver folder but get a “The data is invalid” error.

Any help is appreciated!

Eric just curious, are you also using Audio Optimizer software?

magicknow said Eric just curious, are you also using Audio Optimizer software?
No, I know about it but opted to configure myself. I have been using WASAPI for my previous DAC without issues. Does the DS support that?

We are suspicious the driver does not support Windows Servers. Checking now.

Eric, install the drivers in windows 7 compatibility mode… Right click on the file, choose options, then click the compatibility tab. Windows 8 compatibility mode may work, but I am pretty sure I had to use Win 7 mode.

Ryan

Oh, another thing… Kernel streaming does work in core mode. This is enabled by audiophile optimizer. I am using it in core mode with the Directstream as I write this…

Edit…I just read you aren’t using audiophile optimizer. No kernel streaming for you! Sorry.

rfajardo said Oh, another thing... Kernel streaming does work in core mode. This is enabled by audiophile optimizer. I am using it in core mode with the Directstream as I write this...

Edit…I just read you aren’t using audiophile optimizer. No kernel streaming for you! Sorry.

I understand that but am still keen to find out if there are other workaround. If all else fails, I will consider rolling back to full mode and testing.

Currently I’m using my existing USB-SPDIF converter which works fine but I suspect plugging direct to the DS will perform better.

Paul McGowan said We are suspicious the driver does not support Windows Servers. Checking now.
I await your feedback!

Eric,

Understand regarding the kernel streaming.

I am not sure if you read my first post on the matter, but the PS Audio USB driver will not install in Windows Server unless you change its compatibility mode - did you try this by chance? Worked like a charm for me.

Ryan

Yes I tried compatibility mode which did not change the result.

UPDATE: Sorry, I’m actually not running Core but minimal GUI mode (ie. no Server-Gui-Shell). If I remember correctly, core mode does not even have WASAPI.

I don’t think I will find much support to get this working as it is such an advanced subject so I will just have to play around with it (possibly reinstall Server 2012 in full mode).

UPDATE: I just figured it out - had to switch back to Full GUI mode and start/enable a few services. After the install, I then switch back to Minimal GUI and the music is still playing. Good SQ improvement going from the USB-SPDIF to USB only!