Isolation: What are you guys using under your Directstream?

Appreciate the response. Did I mention this is vintage lead shot circa 1970?? :). But great idea. It sits on an unopened sack in my garage. I’ll add an empty rack to the top and kerplunk it on. It’s about 20-40lbs is my guess. Not sure for certain

I’m experiencing very good results using simple 16" bicycle inner tubes, furniture leg cups and 3/4" chromed stainless ball bearings. All told it’s about $10 per component and it makes them nearly float in space, so much so I think short string tether may be in order to ensure they don’t find themselves migrating out of the rack.

Got the idea from http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm

1 Like

That’s pretty fascinating actually.

These SupplyHouse EVA Pads look very similar to these Increcable iBlocks!

http://www.increcable.com/iblock.htm

I got a set of 4, stacked them under my stereo amplifier and the bass was tighter, midrange felt more pop… overall just felt more musical.

So if these SupplyHouse can do 90% of what the iBlocks does they are surely a bargain.

Anyone compared them?

When PS Audio tune their products I don’t suppose they use any sort of vibration feet / tools?

Cork model appears the same. I cut a few into 1/4 as they are rated at 45lbs each! Seems way over rated for a 13lbs amp. I didn’t notice much difference frankly. I’m now experimenting with bicycle tubes and furniture leg cups and 3/4" ball bearings. I’m liking the effect more/better.

I have a box of 48 EVA absorbers. I’ll use a few around the house and plan to sell the rest on ebay, people are paying money for them in smaller batches. Go figure.

1 Like

After a couple of days of listening, a $5 16" bicycle tube, $1.50 worth of chromed stainless 3/4" ball bearings, and a $5 pack of faux-wood furniture leg cups under my DS continues to impress.

I found the tube (vertical damping) has the most impact. It’s also the easier to setup. The ball bearing/cups can cause the device to move if not perfectly level. My amps and preamp are now just on tubes, too fiddly with bearings, but I’m really liking the sound vs. other cheap solutions.

Using my iPhone with a seismic app I can visually see the reduction in vibration. Whether the resonant frequency is as low as it should be, eh, it sounds good so who cares.

Cool! I’ve used both of those configurations in the past but when I had perfected it my wife kept telling me how awful they looked and how they had to go and she would not give me flack for ordering better looking “Professional” (her description) items. That led me to exploring different isolation products and to better sound still and looks that don’t revolt the women in my life. :wink:

In my main system all components are on PS Audio PowerBases and I’m using VooDoo Cable IsoPods under all components but one: IsoAcoustic Oreas are under my preamp (they look so cool under that component!) In my second system I have two 4" maple platforms in use and I have Cardas myrtle wood blocks under one component, Aurios under one,Herbie’s Audio Lab Iso-Cups under one component, and Synergistic Research MIGs under another. The combinations works well in this less resolving system.

All of my gear is hidden in a back closet in an AV rack or behind closed doors in my main room :wink: allowing me to do whatever inside.

1 Like

That’s cool. I wouldn’t want to go back to that set up though if I could. . .it’s good for little dollars but I prefer different components.

Understood. I wanted to experiment and hear it for myself before bothering with evaluating and potentially returning commercial products. The Orea sound worthwhile for my BHK pre.

I have to admit I’m a skeptic on this tweak but might as well be an educated one. I would love a Powerbase but finding one of those may take forever. I ordered the EVAs- sort of dip my toe in the water. Try them under the Jr and my Pre… Thanks for all the above input. Everything from 400.00 “isolation devices” to inner tubes! Love it. Almost got the mouse pad just for grins…

Dipped my toe in with Herbie’s Tenderfeet under everything. Must admit I had to listen hard. I think I heard a difference–an improvement, but I could have been convinced I heard it because I wanted to.
Then I swallowed hard and switched to Oreas and the improvement was easy to hear and well worth the cashola.

1 Like

Ron,

Where have you settled using the Oreas? DS or preamp?

amp-3, pre-3, DSD/DMP stack-4. P5 is still on the Herbies

Has anyone tried the less expensive Isoacoustics Iso-Puck? It appears to be a very similar design just less flashy metal.

Haven’t tried those. . . they’re designed for speakers though.

Ron, The P5 will respond well to good isolation.

Ron- listen to lonson… (and send me those herbies) :grin:

2 Likes

ugh! Thanks. It’s cat food again…

Now I’m kicking myself for not buying the Orea at Axpona. Music Direct was giving 20% off each.

I bet they still give the discount if asked. I think I’ll try a set of Iso-pucks and Indigos under the BHK.

I was able to listen most of the day yesterday, the inner tubes sound or rather ‘don’t have a sound’ really good. The sound is easier, it’s slight of course, but nice. They are ugly though and wouldn’t be satisfied with them out visible. Mine are not, so it’s really whatever works best and best value.