It’s here AGAIN! Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon 50th Anniversary remastered again

I never really thought much of DSOTM. Odd I know but it seems dull to me. Wish You Were Here is wonderful, and Animals better still.

3 Likes

I have an audio buddy who feels the same way about Jennifer Warnes’ Famous Blue Raincoat because he heard it every time he went into an audio salon back in the 90s.

3 Likes

Hello Elk,
what do you mean by Zeitgeist …

Hope it’s okay to jump in here, Elk.

In German, zeit = time and geist = spirit.

Hence: zeitgeist = The spirit of the age; trend of thought and feeling in a period.

3 Likes

They are releasing a multi-channel Animals according to Waters…

2 Likes

In this context, culturally significant; in a Hegelian sense, the culture of the time.

I suspect being German you find how we use German words in English confounding at times.

I hope this helps.

My copy shipped Fed Ex smart post. I should get it by the end of August.

1 Like

Meddle is my favourite. Echoes will always be my favorite track by them.

2 Likes

The first time I made love to another student who was also a psych grad student with me at the University of Western Ontario, Echoes was the side I played as she and I then got into bed. :heart:

3 Likes

My SACD shipped today. It’s been so long since I ordered I had to call Acoustic Sounds and question why they charged my AMEX card.

I am going to rip mine when it gets here as DSD. Handy having an old Oppo BDP-103 lying around.

2 Likes

The tracking says it will arrive on Sunday. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Lucky you, being able to rip it. Unfortunately I don’t have that option. It’d be nice if they made the DSD layer available as a download like Octave Records does. :frowning:

I purchased the Dark Side Vinyl Half Speed Master way back in the 80’s when it first came out.

At that time, I had an NAD 3080 Integrated Amp, Technics SL-1700 TT and the Miller & Kreisel 1a Satellites / Volkswoofer sub combo.

When I first listened to that recording, I was blown away by how good those specially made albums could be.

Back then, I had done intern work in a 54 track recording studio in Manhattan. That experience enlightened me as to what “well recorded” music sounded like. Over the ensuing years I would purchase more of Pink Floyd’s specially made vinyl albums as they were released by a mix of Japanese and U.S. companies.

I was never a Pink Floyd “Fanatic”, but I did enjoy them for their interesting soundscapes, inventive recording techniques AND their music. I still listen to them when the mood is right. Also, Alan Parson’s “I Robot” album was right up there in that category.

All in all, a pretty good timeline and evolution of the band on specialty vinyl:

• A Nice Pair [ ‘Piper at the Gates of Dawn’ & ‘A Saucerful of Secrets’]
  • Ummagumma
  • Meddle
  • Dark Side
  • Wish You Were Here
  • Animals
  • The Wall
  • The Final Cut
1 Like

Thanks, Elk! In a treatise about North Indian Ragas, Walter Kaufmann mentioned years ago the term “Aufführungspraxis”, which is the practise how to play music for an audience in a concert. I like those quotations in different languages, as they confess attention and interest in similar cultures for specific aspects but in different languages …

3 Likes

Acoustic Sounds used to sell DSD downloads. I picked up Holly Cole Temptation that way and a couple others. I’m not sure why they stopped selling the downloads. Most of their Analogue Production titles were available that way.

As far as ripping DSD you don’t need an Oppo 103/105 to do it. I use a Sony BDP-390 I picked up on eBay for thirty something bucks!

3 Likes

There are several different discontinued sacd players that can rip DSD. I have a Sony stored away as well in case the Oppo breaks.

4 Likes

I haven’t surfed the used SACD section of my local record store in quite a while. I think I am going to walk over there after lunch and see what I can find.

Thanks for the motivation!

2 Likes

It just comes into my mind that I rarely prefer works played on original instruments of the time. Not good in terms of the composers intent, but I tend to prefer the fuller sound of strings played on modern instruments.

“Practice performing.” I like it as a concept, and something I should explicitly do more often.

1 Like