Jay's Audio NEW Dac Alert!

I don’t know one way or the other, but the analysis is essentially the same. If you sell thousands you have greater profit to allocate to costs. I know for small volume companies the licensing fee is a major issue.

Because Paul doesn’t mind it if we discuss other brands and their products. He wants everyone to maximize their enjoyment of music, no matter what path accomplishes that. Heck, he’s always praising other companies like Schiit, Rel, Emotiva, and several others. If your path leads you to buying a competitor’s product, he keeps smiling. If your path leads your to purchase a PSA product, his smile just gets bigger

1 Like

It is also far less moderated than some other forums, Roon in particular. We don’t get chewed out for getting off topic, or have our comments sent to a new thread where it loses 62.8% of it’s meaning. We can be us, unless we get totally out of line.

3 Likes

I hope you mean praising! At least auto correct didn’t suggest “preying” :exploding_head:

But, it used to not be an issue when I was dealing with the product pre-1997. If the fee was $25 per unit, they just added that to the selling price of the unit, or sometimes it even got marked up just like the rest of the cost. But that was still back in the dark ages, when distributors and factory reps were still a big part of the industry. I’m sure most things have changed industry wide since then.

Hey, did I EVER claim to be able to type? NO! And I never will, mainly because even a casual reader would know I’m lying.

Must be the grey beards that render us ham-fisted at a keyboard! I’m like you with my typing “skills”.

I almost flunked typing in high schools (I was a buddy of the teacher), and my eyes are shifting from being near sighted to being far sighted, and my arms seem to be getting shorter, making typing even harder, as with the proofreading. Old age sucks, but it’s still better than the alternative.

2 Likes

Old age is occasionally wasted on the young, and it’s not for sissies.

1 Like

@RonP

Does the world need another R2R DAC?

Maybe, maybe not. I am listening to mine at the moment and it is sublime.

See?

So, Weed - that’s like…LESS than “Lime”? :thinking:

I’m jaundiced, so I need as much lime as possible.

1 Like

As Johnny Carson used to say, “they can’t all be winners, folks” :roll_eyes:

1 Like

It is in search of a reasonably good Gin, no ice that’s nice.

3 Likes

Sony and Philips co-developed SACDs technology. Not sure a company would pay a royalty to itself? Could be the reason Sony includes CD and SACD compatibility in so many of it’s products.

It is a Metrum Onyx R2R NOS DAC. Sublime in that it does not draw attention to itself. Musical beyond description with no hyper etched detail, soundstage and imaging are appropriate with no spotlighting of instruments, or exaggerated frequencies. Probably not a detail champ, but with it I listen to the music not my stereo. It replaced a hot rodded W4S DAC, which I could not off load quick enough. The Sabre chip is not my cup of tea. That said with Sunlight I do enjoy my DSD DAC. The MAC Mini at this point is just tolerable as long as I plan for 1-2 reboots per listening session. I was just informed I should pitch it and get a second Innuos ZENith.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, as I meant to impart and as I understand it’s not just the drive that needs licensing but what PS Audio wanted to do and has done in the past is to license or pay for the right to the method to pass the raw DSD data to their DACs. That’s a much more expensive, near prohibitively so, proposition according to what PS Audio themselves have written on this forum. In the past they paid into the agreement that Oppo had and now they pay into the agreement with the Esoteric company for their drive and “handshake.”

Elsewhere on another thread, I read that the drive is a Marantz SACDM-3 same as in the Marantz Ruby.

As for licensing, the only thing I could find was from @tedsmith

"And yep, PSA uses connectors and cables designed for HDMI, but they aren’t used in an electrically or protocol compatible way with HDMI. It’s just that HDMI cables and connectors are well speced, well constructed, and have 4 pairs of differential connections so they support I2S well.

We can’t afford the licenses for HDMI (they assume you are a big company and will sell many units.) We are and have been looking for legal solutions so we can use HDMI proper in future products."

To me, that implies that for those that are not using the HDMI electrical protocol fot passing the signal, you do not have the prohibitive licensing fees. Do I have this correct, Ted, and if not, will you please elaborate further so I can understand??

If they still share the license with Phillips, wouldn’t they at least owe Phillips half of the license? (I don’t know, just conjecturing)

tarheelneil’s got it right. Have at it. This isn’t about PS Audio it’s about community and community isn’t always interested in just us. :slight_smile:

7 Likes