JRiver won't see the Bridge, but MinimServer will

I’ve had my PWD II & Bridge for a couple years and normally it works ok with JRiver, but not this week.
I’m on a Mac, which is located in a spare bedroom, and there is an Ethernet cable ran from the router/modem to the Dac in the living room stereo.

Everything worked fine last week…this week JRiver does not see the Bridge anymore. Tried everything I can think of to get it working again, restarted the computer, rebooted the modem, reset the Bridge, power cycled the DAC, repaired disc permissions, nothing seems to work.
I even rebooted my computer in to the Windows partition, installed the Windows version of JRiver and the Bridge still was not seen as a renderer.

Funny thing is if I start MinimServer and use the terrible PlugPlayer app, it will work, so the network path to the DAC is working apparently.

I’m not getting any help at the JRiver forum (Go read the wiki is all I’m getting).

Does anyone have an idea about what to do?

When I talked to Paul at the Chicago Head-Fi meet, he said there was a Bridge II coming out, (will it be better?) but at this point I’m wondering if it might be less frustrating just to park a Mac Mini next to the PWD and just use the USB connection?

Thanks

Maybe JRiver users can help. If not, here’s an option.

I assume you are controlling JRiver remotely rather than running up and down stairs, perhaps from an iPad (yes?). If so, you could probably take control of the Mac directly from the iPad and use MinimServer, which you’ve got installed and working. I’m not a Mac guy, but Windows has a feature called Remote Desktop where you can log in and control a computer from a tablet–you see the regular desktop and everything, although slightly smaller than normal. I imagine there’s something similar on the Mac. There are also third-party remote control solutions like RealVNC, which I have used successfully. Cheaper than buying a Mac Mini, and you wouldn’t be adding more EMI in your listening area.

I agree with you about PlugPlayer. There is a thread somewhere about control points for iPad–search for it. Unfortunately, none of them is perfect, but you might find one that you like better than PlugPlayer, if you can’t or don’t like the idea of controlling the Mac remotely.

magister said Maybe JRiver users can help. If not, here's an option.

I assume you are controlling JRiver remotely rather than running up and down stairs, perhaps from an iPad (yes?). If so, you could probably take control of the Mac directly from the iPad and use MinimServer, which you’ve got installed and working. I’m not a Mac guy, but Windows has a feature called Remote Desktop where you can log in and control a computer from a tablet–you see the regular desktop and everything, although slightly smaller than normal. I imagine there’s something similar on the Mac. There are also third-party remote control solutions like RealVNC, which I have used successfully. Cheaper than buying a Mac Mini, and you wouldn’t be adding more EMI in your listening area.

I agree with you about PlugPlayer. There is a thread somewhere about control points for iPad–search for it. Unfortunately, none of them is perfect, but you might find one that you like better than PlugPlayer, if you can’t or don’t like the idea of controlling the Mac remotely.

Yes,

I can control the music playback from my iPad with PlugPlayer, but it’s a terrible app and I’d rather have JRiver working again.

Yes, I was running JRiver from the JRemote app when it was working.

MinimServer doesn’t have a control point anyway so remote control of the Mac wouldn’t help.

When you say it no longer sees the Bridge, do you mean the Bridge (however you have labeled it) does not show up under Playing Now? It may just be called “Player” if you never relabeled it. One thing you might try is creating a new “Zone,” labeling it PS Audio or something like that, and configuring it for the PWD/DS (tools/options/media network/add or configure DNLA servers).

The Bridge is prone to connection issues so there may not be anything wrong with JRiver even though minimserver sees it, although it seems unlikely. I take it the iMac and Bridge are plugged into the same router. Gordon used to recommend powering everything off (and he meant everything) and then back on, although I don’t remember what order he suggested for turning things back on (I would start with the router and do the DAC last). Using fixed IP addresses can also help but I’ve never found it necessary.

Paul said in another thread today that Bridge II does address the connectivity problems but likely won’t be out until next year.

Correct, it no longer shows up under the “playing now” menu.

Yes, iMac and Bridge are plugged into the same router.

You’re right, of course. My bad. Too much playing with USB in recent days and/or lack of caffeine.

So I’m gone three days and get back and have the same problem–perfect wave is no longer a recognized player on JRiver. All configurations are right, have recycled numerous times, no recognition. Are you serious about the Bridge just no longer working (I’ve got the DieprectStream kit)? If that’s true, why am I such a glutton for punishment? Any help on how I can get this working again would be appreciated. I Did upgrade to JR 20.

blavine said Are you serious about the Bridge just no longer working (I've got the DieprectStream kit)?
The current Bridge works as well with the DS as it did with the PWD--which is to say that some people experience problems maintaining a connection, while others have no issues.
  1. Is the Bridge selectable as an input from the DS screen? If so, that means the hardware is OK. (Note that the Bridge will be listed as an i2s input unless you have renamed it.)

2. From the DS screen, you can get the IP address of the Bridge. Copy that down and enter it into a browser window. This should open up the Bridge web page, from where you can try resetting the UPnP server. I have to do this occasionally when the Bridge loses connectivity.

3. Do you have an alternate means of controlling the DS, such as an iPad with PlugPlayer or an Android tablet with Bubble UPnP? If you can access the DS this way, that would show clearly that the network is OK, meaning the problem must be in JRiver somewhere.

I don’t use JRiver, so if the problem is there I hope others can help.

This happens to me occasionally. 99% of the time, a simple resetting of the UPNP works (this fixes just about any issue that comes up with JRiver and JRemote). Just enter the bridge IP address into your browser and select “Reset Upnp Server” on the home page. If that doesn’t work, try rebooting your DS.

Hope that helps, Dale

FYI,

I finally got mine working again, the problem was in the router. I wiped out all the settings and set it up again as if it were a new component and I was reconnected.

Todd

It often turns out to be the router.

Especially if it is a modem/router supplied by your ISP.

Sometimes their nightly schedule updates contain firmware updates that can scramble the address settings.

Even if we attach a 3rd party router to them there can still be problems setting static IPs because their router does not like to see more than one address. This is why most commercially installed models are just modems since they expect a local “static” LAN to be set up and residences to use LAN dhcp most of the time.

I have the the same problem!

Check with your ISP whether you can subscribe to a static IP address. I do, and it cost me around $3 a month.

Wow, old post coming back :-)

Rebooting the router or re-running the set up got it working again.