KEF Blade 2

Re: the KEFs I would certainly want to see if they do a Meta version before investing.

1 Like

I adore my KEF LS 50s!

2 Likes

Well you need the LS50 Metas then. Although if you are a fan of the (IMO) overly bright former model, you may not adore the Metas. But they are a rare case of several major design and sound improvements with zero price increase.

1 Like

I have my LS 50s up at my lake home. I have been informed by my wife that my Audio disease cannot exist in two homes, only one. But I have heard from many that the Metas (a now tarnished name, thanks Facebook) are quite a step up. And I could possibly get them in Minion Yellow color.

3 Likes

I have a set of LS50 wireless 2’s in a second house system. Also have a pair of SVS3000 micro subs to go with them. For the money it’s a hard system to beat. Also very simple. 4 pieces and a laptop hosting Roon and the system is complete. And the LS50’s also get used for front channels on the TV when needed.

1 Like

I have a set of LS50 WII in my office. Great speaker for the $$$. Finally all of my DSD’s on my NAS are on offer again.

The Metas are available in yellow???

1 Like

One could hope!

The colors are one thing I adore about Focal’s line. Yellow, blue, tan…they’re so beautiful.

2 Likes

Last year I demo’d a pair of Blade 2’s here at home for a week. They were fantastic. The sound stage was deep and wide. My only issue I had was the tweeter was easily several inches over my head when I was in my normal slouchy sitting position. If my room was deeper, they’d still be here. The Warm Metallic Grey is beautiful.

2 Likes

Before you settle on the Meta, I suggest you audition either the ProAc Tablette 10 or Signatures. For a few hundred dollars I think they are much better. I have a pair of the Signatures on my desk and listen to them pretty much every day. Frequently I catch myself sitting there lost in the music vs working.

A big plus is they are true bookshelf speakers and don’t need to be pulled away from the rear wall.

Here’s a Darko comparison of the two:

1 Like

I think ProAcs are great. Al might not like them as they are British Monitor (LS 3/5) type speakers like Harbeth. I would point out that the article compares them with the older LS50, and that I have the Metas 6" from the wall with none of the port stuffing, and I think they work really well with the wall. But I haven’t felt the need to put any speaker right against the wall or on a bookshelf since the 70’s.

I am not trying to talk anyone into KEFs, though I think the Metas are a great value at $1,500/pr. I would hasten to add that I assume the use of subs, so the price is relative. But I’d add subs to anything, frankly.

3 Likes

You are correct! They were the Estelon XB Diamonds in a beautiful Blue finish.

3 Likes

Buy the Whites & these.

Problem Solved.

4 Likes

It’s the working at a desk life that’s resulted in ~4" from the rear wall placement for mine.

My next gen desk is going to be much deeper giving more flexibility for positioning. I am going on the hunt for a large slab of Redwood. One of the benefits of living in the NW. There’s good availability of natural fell Redwood.

I am thinking about mounting it on something like this:

https://www.rockler.com/cast-iron-crank-height-adjustable-table-base-71-long?country=US&sid=V91040&promo=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=PL&gclid=CjwKCAiAlrSPBhBaEiwAuLSDUF2elpDhmo8-uYkppzw_AtqotaJZvprStfE0HD-IkyotTA2RwtQX0BoCBtIQAvD_BwE

5 Likes

Oh great, now I have Desk Table Base Envy!!!

3 Likes

That would be the bomb.

1 Like

There are so many amazing speakers available in the $20-25k range. I’d suggest listening to as many of them as you can before pulling the trigger on Blade 2. As has been mentioned, it is likely that they’ll soon be replaced and no longer be a current version. Speakers are insanely subjective, so whether me or anyone else says they like or don’t like the Blade 2 or any speaker shouldn’t matter too much to you, unless you already know for certain that your tastes align with the person recommending. With that said, since you’re looking for opinions, for my tastes I can find many better at that price range for 2 ch music, though Kef is amazing for a hi-end HT setup due to their incredible dispersion that makes almost every seat in the HT room a good spot. That’s meant as a compliment, don’t read negative into it because I mentioned HT. I just like other speakers better for 2ch at that price point. Also note that speaker is pretty dated by this point, has already depreciated a lot as mentioned, and is about to be replaced it would seem given the new tech at the bookshelf level. Now I know there are Kef fans out there and I’m not intending to offend like dude who blew a gasket when I said Rega good amps for $15k systems and below (implying that above that, look elsewhere), so I’ll close with the caveat that YMMV and pick what you like regardless of what anyone else says, it’s your money

How does the Focal Sopra 3 compare with the KEF Blade 2 ?

Ok, my original thread about the KEF Blade 2 kindof got sidetracked with discussions about other speakers.

I will be getting around to hearing a pair of KEF Blade 2 speakers.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on which you prefer: KEF Blade 2 or Focal Sopra 3

I always like to get the insight of others in advance…

thanks