Life is a Cat Walk [for Linn/Windows users at least].

http://getcatwalk.net.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/about.html

Interesting. I don’t know enough to tell if this is similar to WaveStream or not but they do claim gapless play. The latest version of JRiver Media Center they mention is 14 though.

Looks like it also works with later versions.

On the Linn and JR forums they say that it is not NECESSARY with the later JR versions BUT it makes the LINN remote more functional AND [go figure] ADDS GAPLESS PLAYBACK.

I am not sure if it works with other servers than Linn since it appears to be PC only. [ I’m on Mac].

Might be good for someone to try it.

Also these guys might be good candidates for the WS Win version since they have already done it for Linn.

As I understand it –

1. Linn was one of the first companies to support gapless playback. All their players do it.

2. HOWEVER, Linn used a software method different from that eventually adopted by UPnP/DLNA for gapless playback. Therefore, not all software will give gapless playback with Linn gear. For example, on Android there is the BubbleUPnP control point for DLNA gear, and the BubbleDS control point for Linn gear.

3. “Catwalk” seems to allow J.River to issue Linn commands for gapless. THEREFORE, there is NO CHANCE it will “work” with the PSA Bridge to give gapless playback (except via Wavestream or something like that, once it sees the light of day).

4. Most of the Japanese and European players are gapless, and have been either from first release or slightly thereafter. It is mainly in the US, where music is top-40 oriented and everything is a “song”, that manufacturers dropped this particular ball. It is hard to imagine how PS Audio – whose proprietor loves music of many genres – missed this issue.

Again, that’s as I understand it – and as an opera lover, I’ve done a LOT of Internet research on gapless playback. I still could be wrong in some details. If so, I’d like to know!

HTH

Mike

As I understand it --

1. Linn was one of the first companies to support gapless playback. All their players do it.

2. HOWEVER, Linn used a software method different from that eventually adopted by UPnP/DLNA for gapless playback. Therefore, not all software will give gapless playback with Linn gear. For example, on Android there is the BubbleUPnP control point for DLNA gear, and the BubbleDS control point for Linn gear.

It is called the Linn uPnP Extension and is open source.
Lumin use it for gapless.

@mike48

Interesting information.

We have an olde Canadian saying.

" Where there is a way, there is a WILL that can find it.

A lot of Canadians are named Will?

No, CAN. :smiley:

Eh?

HUH? =))

Gotta love that Canadian sense of humor, although at times it can be a bit too sophisticated for us southern neighbors.

Laughing is how we stay warm up here. Well, one of them.

Your lovely mid west just sent us 2 feet of snow and brrrrr cold!

On line now looking at Thailand for a few weeks.

Huh? You say “huh?” a lot for no reason if your first name is a common verb. :expressionless:

…or eh…