Magico Magic (and unrelated matters)

Yes. Always. Even though long-term storage can be a problem.

1 Like

I understand completely. My garage and attic are “box-central.”

1 Like

You are relentless, Mr B……… How many sets bought ? 3 sets - 3 different sizes ? 4 x “critical mass” per set ? What is the reason for the shiny discs ?

1 Like

Each set comprises 4 footers…but they are priced per footer and not per set (so a set of 1.5 = $2,780 MSRP).

I guess you could buy 3 footers if you wanted to…

I bought 2 sets of 0.8 for Esoteric components, and 1 set of 1.5 for the Halcro pre-amp.

The shiny discs are shims, used if required to balance the load on each footer under the supported device.

My dealer says his customer reports that 1.5 sounds better than 1.0 under his headphone amp…I’m the eternal skeptic and my snake oil alarm is easily triggered. But instead of flaming something without trying it, I’ll try it and come to my own conclusion.

It is a crazy hobby, I could have bought a new P15 Power Plant for the cost of those footers :thinking:

!!! WOW !!! That is some amount of money to spend just to support your equipment - which was already sitting on some form of isolation device ! It must be manna from heaven when your email opens up on the suppliers PC or when they hear your voice on the phone. :grin: Did you buy the two wonder cables from the same company ? Mpods did they not cost 10K.

Forgetting the price and purely from a performance aspect, 3 supports would be better ? Perfectly balanced over 3 contact points with no rocking, micro or otherwise, hence no need for the shims. ‘Theodolite tripod stand being a perfect example’.

My equipment sits on ‘big’, hardwood cones. And I did notice an improvement in clarity compared to the equipment sitting on the components stock feet. 10 sets. 3 cones per set = £330. That’s as far as I would go to supporting the actual equipment.

BHK300s are heavy, but the jumbo sized cones support them just fine, without any further need to increase the equipment support structure. I couldn’t justify that myself moving from the cones to “critical mass”… Of course the supplier would say that !

I have spent a “lot of money” on audio equipment past and present but I would never line the pockets of the snake oil merchants. I am not decrying what you do, or that there will be a difference/improvement with the ice hockey pucks in place but, for the money spent, you could have spent it improving the equipment and by changing to a better transport - a new DMP, etc…! :wink:

1 Like

Actually today was exactly the opposite…I was told by a dealer they didn’t want to take my order.

No, the brain zapping glass bubble wonder cables were bought from different channels…Music Direct only had one in stock so I had to find another elsewhere.

About 3 supports vs 4. I bought the 4 piece set of Magico Qpods but was only using 3 of them under my Esoteric (Qpod is also available as a 3 piece set). However with the Critical Mass footers my reading on that says 4 are required, for whatever engineering or pocket-robbing reason.

Yes, the optional Mpods for Magico M3 are a $10K upgrade option (and for the same money you could buy a brand new pair of Magico A3 speakers, so the logic on that is out the window).

I have the full set now. Spod, Qpod and Mpod, and three new sets of the Critical Mass footers. Those alone would probably buy a TSS and P15…as I said, I went a bit inadvertently crazy on that aspect of the installation.

I couldn’t stop laughing at the last line to copy the text …

““Understatement””. My wife just shakes her head at me when I buy speakers that cost 35k a pair and I buy two pairs so that I am immersed in omnidirectional sound. I will have to tell her about you. You are on another level !!!

1 Like

Next level is yet to come…I’m now without the very good sound quality of DMP, it’s replacement will be uber-next level. Counting down the days until February 2019.

1 Like

Does it start with E - last letter - C ?

2 Likes

If it fits your room try this amp in your uber-next level, >50% discount :money_mouth_face:

http://www.highendaudio.nl/en/apparatuur/wavac-sh-833/

If it packs lower distortion than my Halcro amps, which I doubt, sure, why not, 50% off sounds like a good deal, depending on what the 1st number was, of course. The downside is those amps will need 4 sets of those crazy priced footers, so the whole package is probably not affordable for me.

The three immovables in my system are the Halcro amps, the Magico speakers, and the Kaleidescape movie/music server system. Everything else is subject to the prospect of change. That which starts with E and ends with C is not an immoveable, I might be persuaded to try something else.

1 Like

.…“I might be persuaded to try something else”.

Could that be something that’s starts with M and looks like a big Wifi Router ?

I thought you were very happy with the Esoteric family ? When will the new Halcro amplifier be available.

1 Like

‘If you bought the amplifier on the skateboards your snake oil buddy would feel like a lottery winner’…

1 Like

Based on the seemingly unlimited fund availability I still don’t get the tiny listening room…

I am happy with the Esoteric, but now the word is out I have the M3 (mine is the only pair within 1000+ miles) I’m taking calls from a few hi-end DAC owners who want to come and plug their stuff into my stuff. Which opens up the possibility of discovering some nice new stuff that might be more to my liking than my stuff.

The new Halcro amplifier was supposed to be ready about 12 months ago, and I think it was only on static display at the Melbourne HiFi show last year. As far as I know it remains not quite ready yet.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, is there blue LEDs under the Halcro power amplifiers ? In the photos it looks like blue tinged light source ?

1 Like

The land the tiny listening room sits on has become too valuable to do anything affordable in the up-sizing context.

Why don’t you just buy out your neighbor and turn the house into a listening room.

Yes, the blue plasma laser anti-vibration thingy I pilfered from the Starship Enterprise when Mr Scott wasn’t looking…it was my lucky day when I also nicked the mumbo jumbo glass bottle polarizer thingy.