Magico Magic (and unrelated matters)

Sigma DAC. For the money, hard to beat.

How would you compare it to the PS Audio DSD?

I had them side-by-side for over a year. I preferred the Ayon, using the Ayon about 80% of the time compared to about 15% for the DSD. I sold the Ayon reluctantly, sweetened by the fact that I sold it for more than what I paid for it brand new 3 years earlier.

Oh boy, now I’m really tempted to try the CD 35, which I believe has the same DAC as the Sigma. Of course when you were comparing them, Snowmass wasn’t available.

Yes, that’s right…I bailed out on the DSD before the first mountaintop arrived, and I bailed out of DSJ more recently (Snowmass not available on that platform yet).

I forget now, but did you get a chance to listen to the DSD with Snowmass before you sold it?

I’d like to hear DSD with Snowmass, but I don’t know anybody local who owns one.

Thanks Brodric. Did you by chance deal with Paul from USA Tube Audio, for your Ayon dac?

I’m in Australia and purchased my Ayon via local dealer channel (who also happens to be my Magico dealer). It drop-shipped to me directly from Ayon in Austria only 2 days after ordering it. Which is unusual, because if it was in-stock in Australia it would take 4 days to arrive. Flying from Austria is quicker than driving from Melbourne. Flying to Singapore is also much cheaper than flying to Sydney. Whacky, but true.

Of course, forgot you were in Australia. To bad you can’t easily get your hands on a DSD. Would love to hear your thoughts on how it might now compare to the Ayon, with the latest SM firmware.

I thought Ayon was made in China?

Although it looks a lot like the Raysonic, it is not made in China.

Nope. Made in Austria.

Huh, look what google just stumbled across…looks vaguely familiar

Do you live in the Northern Territory ?

1 Like

Nope…been a while since I was in the NT (1986)…doing army stuff at an air force base. That was weird.

Where Madge and Harold lived…? Do I have to work my way down…

1 Like

My home town…where the sun sets over the ocean, not rises from it

1 Like

Looking at the photo is there a clue in the photo. Sydney Opera House . Or Melbourne.

1 Like

Yes, the clue is, the sun is rising over the land…that doesn’t happen in Sydney. And you can catch prawns, crabs and fish in the river, that doesn’t happen in Melbourne. And swimming in the ocean you are far more likely to be eaten by a shark than eaten by a crocodile. And as for snakes, no clue there, they can get you anywhere.

Well the sun rises in the east. I don’t know. Victoria. Australia is a big lump of land so it can be a few places Queensland…

1 Like