Magnepan sock color opinion poll

Tie dye!
you k ow you want to :slight_smile:

I’ve always had a thing for orange

3 Likes

Orange is an excellent colour :slight_smile:

1 Like

My legacy Maggie’s are in black, have worn well over time, which over the years has seemed to bear out the old adage, (that once you go black), no pun intended, but you will know, no need to consult a decorator now that you have consulted The Forum… The lighter sock appears to be the missing Monolith from Utah, imho

1 Like

yeah i hear ya there. :slight_smile:

Or they make me feel guilty about forgetting to turn in my TPS reports.

3 Likes

I would think it would be pretty cool to be that close to Magnepan. What’s their auditioning room like? I got to hear the 30.7s at my local dealers but his show room is in an old farm house. Not at all ideal.

I didn’t get to hear anything at Magnepan itself. I just met the parts guy and got my socks. Without covid, I’d probably have asked for a tour. (Fun fact: I did have a tour back in the 70’s, when my cousin owned an audio store in Berkeley CA.)

My dealer is Audio Perfection in Minneapolis. Their room with the .7s is fairly small, frankly. As i think about it, I’m probably about the same distance from the speakers in my room (6-7 feet) that I was in their listening room. (And my maggies are about four feet from the front wall. They maybe had two feet.)

On the 30.7’s, though, they had some blue 30.7s (automotive paint, kind of a metallic blue) that were pretty wild. Not in a listening room, just in a hallway. These were trotted out at audio shows over the past few years, and the parts guy just rolled his eyes and said “a bunch of people want us to offer something like this, but we won’t do it. Stuck in our old ways,” he said.

(Same with their website. it’s stuck in 1998.)

These are the speakers (pic of Steve Guttenberg):

My dealer is the Listening Room in Chestertown, MD. The grandson of the guy I bought my first speakers is running it now. Very nice guy. He somehow got the 30.7s in for a one day audition. We went just to hear them. They could be the same pair in your picture. If I could ever afford them they sure wouldn’t be blue!

Are those your JBLs?

No, no. I think it’s a JBL promo photo.

I like the aesthetic tho.

Ok. Yah. I can’t believe what they want for those. I kinda think they still sound like a box speaker from the 70s but for like 2500. Lol

1 Like

yeah, I don’t think I’d ever get them.

If I was gonna get big boxes I’d save up even more and splurge on Harbeth 40.2’s!

1 Like

IMHO they were nothing special in the 70’s either. My room mate had a pair of L100s.

Yah. Back then I had infinity quantum 5s which I liked a lot. But I do recall the ohm Fs??? Or was it ohm Walsh 2s. My buddy had the L100s. They were just ok. My brother had - I think the L150s which had a 12” woofer and a passive 12”. Those things rocked the house for their time.

Well that was fairly easy, I must say. Pretty cheap upgrade/mod.

I’m gonna dye the white ones, eventually.

9 Likes

Do they sound better??? :slight_smile: they look great!!

Wait, I can’t see them any more! Where did they go?

; )

The main thing is they just disappear in that room, which I like for now.

I have some orange dye as well as sky blue. Maybe this weekend I’ll muck around and experiment and see how the fabric takes the dye.

Magnepan seems to be plenty busy with orders, but if dyeing these socks works effectively/predictably, I’d love to see them offer custom colors. I think of all these companies doing acoustic diffusion/absorption panels in every color under the sun, and if your magnepans could be in a matching/complementary shade, that would be sweet.

2 Likes

How big is this room. How do they sound in this size room?

Yeah, I like the black much better. If you do the tye dye, you gotta post pics.

1 Like