Matrix X-SPDIF 2

You need to order latest SD card from Small green computer for UltraRendu.

1 Like

Can’t do that unless I schlep the MAC Mini core machine and power supply to the main room.

Or just get a rasp pi. It is cheap, fun and easy. Nice backup device to have around. these kinds of drop out seem to me more rendu’s than matrix’s fault.

2 Likes

Folks, it’s really good to know that I’m not alone on this issue. Thanks for the input.

I’ll keep an ear on it, but will also update the ultraRendu and, if the problem comes up again, I’ll focus on cycling the etherRegen.

Thanks!

I just thought I would add that there is an issue with the ultrarendu or microrendu powering up after a power outage if using an LPS 1.2, One should disconnect the Rendu until the LPS1.2 is fully charged up. Otherwise, the Rendu won’t boot up correctly.
-Peculiar but true from Alex at Uptone.

Wouldn’t that then require hot-plugging the LPS into the ultraRendu?

I would be leery about doing so.

I have the ultraRendu 2.8 on order now.

1 Like

I was having similar issues here and swapping out the LPS 1.2 for an Sbooster made that all go away.

yes, I’ve done it with some regularity.

Mine used to hang up before 2.8. Always make sure you do a DAC diagnostic of UltraRendu from www.sonicorbitor.com website and dac volume is 100 percent. If it wont self recover prior to SD card. RemoveUltra rendu power. Remove Matrix power. Then DSD power. Then bring them up reverse order and then run DAc Diagnostics. Jesus taught me that trick.

Had I not already emailed with Jesus, I might have said, “Say whaaa?”

:smiley:

I really appreciate the help from all y’all (which is grammatically correct here in the south).

1 Like

“Jesus…”

I did wonder for a minute there!

Any opinions on the Sonore LPS?

Yeah Let Jesus take the wheel. As in from Sonore not holy spirits. If your drinking spirits and your Roon acts possessed perfotm Jesus exorcism ritual and sprinkle more holy water aka Scotch, bourbon, and or beer to rid the evil demons from your Roon. All puns intended.

1 Like

The good lord put weed here for a reason… easier on the liver, I figure.

2 Likes

Using an ohm meter you will wind up with this setting

If you can connect the Mini to ethernet, you can use Roon to drive it as an endpoint.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I’m not beating a ASR type measurement drum. My issue with Uptone, for instance, is laser focused on one thing, misleading marketing. On their ISO Regen and EtherRegen webpages, they characterize theory as fact. The theory centers around reducing noise, yet they have no proof that their device does that. Yet their marketing is filled with volumes of complicated, sounding smart theory. But they never clarify it’s just a theory.

My comments in no way reflect upon their actual devices. I don’t own Uptone stuff, I have no idea if the do what they say. And neither does Uptone! My beef is with the deceptive marketing. When a company is not straight with me, that’s it, they’re out. Honesty is more important to me than gizmos. If Uptone clearly stated they are operating on unproven theory, then no problem.

Expanding beyond the narrow focus on noise and Uptone’s unproven theories, the matter of how something actually sounds certainly transcends measurements. Of course. Although there are many other players as our minds are very tricky, and deceptive beasts. Placebo is a very real dynamic. Psychoacoustics, expectation bias, are all players.

To reiterate, my issue is not really about sound quality, or measurements. It’s about honesty. Transparency.

2 Likes

My post was speaking in a more dynamic and metaphorical way. About a type of thinking. It had nothing to do with buying a Matrix meaning you are a member of cult. I was addressing deeper psychological dynamics, seeds if you will, that then grow in different directions, they take on different shapes.

It was all far more esoteric than scientific :man_in_lotus_position:

There have been some. The AES has published a number, including addressing the efficacy of ABX testing itself. I also recall a study supporting listeners can hear a difference between standard Redbook audio and high resolution audio. I do not recall others off hand, but there are more.

While I enjoy reading such things, and it is intellectually satisfying, I am not certain how much it matters in the enjoyment of audio. For most of us listening to music is a subjective experience. What matters is if I enjoyed it. If tubes are more enjoyable for me, they are the correct choice. Same with solid state. Etc.

it matters not if the enjoyment is perpetrated by unadulterated placebo. If the black box makes music sound better to me and the improvement is worth the amount I paid, it is a good piece of kit.

This does not excuse outright seller fraud. And I enjoy knowing why something works. But I have no problem with a purveyor stating it makes everything sound better and offering a 30 day money back trial.

4 Likes

I gotcha… however in comparison to other companies with Audiophile switches Uptone is on another whole level with transparency of what’s inside. Almost none of the other switches tell you anything. Uptone spec’s out the clocks, regulators, isolator chips, flip/flops and shows you the board and layout.

I say this is moving towards a better direction at least recently with the EtherRegen. The Regen’s were a little more tight lipped, I would agree. I do not think the LPS from Uptone was a good look when they found out that it didn’t in fact block all Leakage Currents and needed a new version. Also, with that unit they describe galvanic isolation from the mains suggesting power quality does not matter… I found the opposite to be true with the LPS 1.0 preferring the wall compared to my Dectet.