Matrix X-SPDIF 2

Just got my Matrix and setting up to work with my MacBook Pro. Doesn’t work. The Audio MIDI doesn’t see it. Plugged the USB back into my SGCD and the Audio MIDI sees it. Has anyone figured out to get a MacBook to see the Matrix?

I just bought the 9v Farad. I noticed Farad also sells a DC Y split cable to feed 2 downstream components. I just wonder if I can use it to feed both ER and Matrix, anyone has tried or know of any issues with doing that?

That’s an interesting question. I hadn’t though of that. I’m pretty sure the Farad has enough current to power both since the Matrix require very little power, but it may lose a little on sound quality because you are sharing power supplies. Just in case I just e-mailed Mattijs and asked him about it. When he gets back to me, I will let you know.

1 Like

Mattijs responded. Not only is his LPS one of the best on the market, he’s also a great guy. He says that no problem using one Farad to power both. He recommends using 9v, the middle of the ER and top of the Matrix range. He also say using one supply for each will give better results, of course one Farad for both will still definitely sound better than their original SMPS supplies.

1 Like

Thanks for your following up. I already have the LpS1.2 on the Matrix so I keep it that way. I’ll experiment with Farad on matrix and LPS1.2 on ER if that combo yield better SQ.

Yah still having the same issue with my Mac Mini as well. Pretty sure it was the last Apple Update that broke it for me. I said screw it and purchased a Streamer. Should be here tomorrow.

My plan is to do a SQ test between all four options; DSD with Bridge ll, Mac Mini via USB to DSD, Lumin via USB to DSD, and lastly Lumin USB to Matrix to DSD via I2s. And if I can’t hear a difference between any of those 3 options I plan to send them all back and just keep the DSD as an all in one Streamer using the Network Bridge ll I have. We will see.

2 Likes

In my system the last configuration delivers the best SQ. Looking forward to your findings.

16 Likes

I also use Lumin, and the last configuration with LPS1.2 and RAL HDMI cable yields best sound in my system.

2 Likes

Nice setup. I see you have the Pass Labs XP-22. I just picked up that very pre-amp about a month ago now. Nice machine!

4 Likes

I like both the organisation and the gear. Neat stuff.

1 Like

3 Farad’s? What are the 3 feeding power too? I’ve went ahead and ordered one for comparison.

They power the EtherRegen, the Matrix SPDIF-2 and the Lumin U1 Mini.

I installed the one for the Lumin just some days ago, replacing the internal switching power supply. With this I got rid of the last switching psu in my digital chain. It was mainly an aesthetic choice, but I also want to believe that my system sounds more relaxed now.

My biggest design issue now: when I add the fourth Farad, to power the analog board of the DSD, where to put it in the rack?

2 Likes

Ok now I’m curious; how did you power the Lumin with it? I saw the SBooster connection kit but now I’m curious about the Farad option.

Nicly asked the Farad comes with a dedicated Lumin configured cable (with the usual choices of material).

9 Likes

Ok what was the options on Farad you selected?

Very nice setup! Curious, what do you have under each Farad or component?
And what DC cable do you use? I am thinking about the Level 2 cable or Ghen Gotham cable.

2 Likes

Sexy philipp Schaefer !! :smile: what do you have on the farad blue lights?

1 Like

The isolation feet under most components are the Stillpoints Ultra Mini.

The DC cables I use with the three Farads are all the Level 2 silver versions. I have not compared them with other cables though.

1 Like

I can’t help myself and always choose the full upgrades, so all units have the SR Orange fuses and Furutech Rhodium AC inlets.

1 Like

Thank you! I also find myself starring at the system for hours… :wink:

The blue lights from the Farads are very bright. They distract me and my family during the night, as the system is in our living room and always on. As Farad offers no solution to turn off their LEDS I put Light Dims on top of them. The problem is that the LEDs stick out from the front panel, so there’s no way to attach the plastic flat over them. I’m still looking for a better solution…

Mattijs from Farad is aware of the too bright LEDs but decided to stick to the original design, as customers also demand consistency in visual appearance. I get his point, but hope that in his upcoming Super10 he’ll make the LEDs dimmable and secure the reset button in a foolproof way.

1 Like