Matrix X-SPDIF 2

The vbus2 does work with the matrix as I have one. I tried it once and it sounded absolutely horrible. Presumably because (a) it leaves the disconnected 5v wire floating allowing noise to be induced into it from the clock pin next to it, and (b) it intrinsically adds noise.

Have you tried using the other I2S port to rule out connector faults? Also, though cables are directional and have arrows, etc. I would try and invert the HDMI cable connectors temporarily and see what happens.

One last thing, when recycling power leave USB as the last thing to connect. Good luck :pray:t2:

Good advice. When trying to troubleshoot and reestablish digital handshakes along the signal chain, I have always found it helpful to power up and reconnect cables from first to last in terms of the flow of the digital data – starting with the router when trying to fix a problem with intranet connections.

FWIW.

2 Likes

Nothing seems to work. I tried different HDMI cables, the I2S-1 port, flipping the cables around, powering everything down and serially turning everything back on, hopping on one foot, nothing. My problems started when I “upgraded” my ultraRendu to 2.7 - but how could something feeding the input side of the Matrix cause the I2S to drop out?

@tony22, I had similar issue. I had to get a new 2.8 SD card from Andrew at Small Green Computer. The SD card I had got corrupted. All other options Andrew walked me through were a bust.

Hi Tony,
USB in DS DAC takes DSD files upto 128. I would test the USB from Ultra Rendu to DS DAC to make sure it is sending the right signal. Sorry you’re having these issues.

Interesting!

Yeah, I ordered it on Friday. I’m actually a little ticked at the Sonore / SGC method of operation. I can understand paying for the 2.8 upgrade, as these guys have to make a living, but if it gets corrupted, why does some poor SOB have to pay for it again? Further, why are they doing this whole SD card thing in the first place when they can set up a pay portal to be able to download a tar or zip image as soon as it’s paid for? At least that would give the owner a handy starting point in case the card gets corrupted, instead of having to back up the mailed card once it arrives - plus I’d be using it now instead of who knows when it’ll arrive? Sheesh, you think we’re back in 1995 or something. And oh, if a person is happily running say 2.6, and for some reason that gets corrupted, they don’t have (or want) the ability to just provide that older version gratis. Nope, gotta buy the new version. I won’t accept the reason that that makes their job easier, not having to CM older versions. It takes nothing to keep copies of 2.6 and 2.7 finals in their archive.

As for the X-SPDIF 2, why should what’s feeding it have any bearing on whether its output can lock to an I2S interface?

Rant mode off.

1 Like

I had bought a 2.8 and he sent another no charge when minE corrupted. I do like service from Jesus and Andrew. It is a niche product and they always served me well. They also show up at Roon forums. The price per performance can be quite high if you wish to tweak. The Inakustik USB at SGC. Plus The HDPlex300 are great kit. One can step into streaming at your own pace.

I do get the frustration. I sincerely hope you get it ironed out.

Hi Tony,

I run with all 3 switches off. If you’re feeding your X-SPDIF 2 native DSD already from a source like, say, HQPlayer that uses an ASIO software driver then the first (‘DoP to native’) switch should be ‘off’. However, if you’re feeding it a DoP stream then it should be ‘on’.

I don’t know if this will help fix your problem but it’s worth noting. :wink:

1 Like

I think that inserting a Matrix between Streamer or PC and Dac, just to use the I2S input, only creates deterioration on the sound. Personally, after several attempts with the Lumin and the Matrix, I preferred the Bridge 2, not only me, but many friends who have listened to the differences. I sold the Lumin and the matrix. After the upgrade to sunlight, Bridge 2 has grown in quality. If you have set aside your Bridge 2, I recommend that you try it again.

2 Likes

+1 here

1 Like

Thanks Mike. I had tried that, but still no success.

1 Like

As is always the case, there are a few variables involved. The USB and i2s cables being used as well as the power supply to the Matrix

2 Likes

Serhan

Thanks I took your advice. Ordered a five foot version though for HDPlex 300 since I had read what Caelin Gabriel wrote in digital power the cords need to be at least that length to be effective. Even after only 5 hours into break in OMG. The Signal Silver Resolution with Furutech upgrade connectors is totally awesome! This is the budget cord of the century for LPS. I never thought the power cord on a LPS would matter much. The HDPLEX300 you get a four way boost with the separate rails and totally transformers it’s performance. This cable has gobs of 3D space, layering, and more detailed definitions across the audio band. It totally made the Ghent Gotham cables stand out even more which run DC to my modem/switch, matrix, UltraRendu and powering the DS DAC 12V analog board.

I have one more LPS AC power cable to buy for my streamer and also place the Ghent Gotham DC cord on it. It is still stuck in Customs. The question is will another Signal cable benefit its zero zone LPS as much as it did the streamer. I guess it I order another it could go to preamp and us preamp cable on the LPS.

1 Like

Congratulations! I am glad Silver Resolution worked in your system.

I am after a second HDPlex 300, but they’re out of stock.

1 Like

Small Green Computer has them. Might not get free shipping but you could ask as he was offering shipping over Labor Day.

Edit. Looks like it is a preorder for shipment mid September.

2 Likes

So I need help here. I can’t get the Matrix to play to the DS anymore. The thing is, it was working when I first got all this a few weeks ago!

It all started with my ultraRendu running sonicOS 2.6. I was using LMS to send music to the UR and it was playing fine. I then made the mistake of trying to upgrade the OS to 2.7 and that’s when everything went into the pooper. After being told I needed to upgrade to 2.8, I did that. Just got the SD card and plugged it in. I’d discovered by now that the only way to get the links to work is to power these things up in this order:

1. Matrix X-SPDIF2
  2. UR power supply
  3. Wait for above to go green
  4. Wait for UR itself to go orange
  5. The Ethernet switch the UR is connected to

I did all this, and now the I2S connection on the DS, the one being used by the Matrix, shows no connection. I tried very other start up combination but I cannot get an I2S link from the Matrix. I tried unplugging and plugging in the WW HDMI cable, checked the voltage from my SBooster LPS (6.5V). Here’s the weird part - if I flip the power toggle of the LPS to Off, I get a momentary I2S green indication on the DS. It goes out after about 20 seconds. This tells me it can’t be the cable or tge I2S-2 port on the DS.

What goes on here?

Tony

Have you tried reaching out to Barrows or one of the other Sonore guys on Audiophile Style as they are on there all the time or just PM them. If my memory is correct we have multiple guys here running Sonore to Matrix to DS.

Is your volume set all the way up?