Mikey exits AnalogPlanet.com

…and Stereophile, too…

1 Like

Frankly, I’ve been finding my former hero getting a bit tedious with his supercilious elevation to six figure turntables and five figure cartridges only.

2 Likes

I finally got to meet him at an Axpona afterparty. He plugged a USB thumbdrive into a Grimm MU1 that contained 24.96 recordings made with his ultra expensive Turntable gear. It was excellent sound!

Stereophile is losing too many key writers/personalities. I fear for them.

2 Likes

A great example of how digital captures analog.

4 Likes

I like Mikey even though he’s a bit over the top at times. Thing is, he knows his stuff. So now if we want to follow him we go either to TAS or to his original site https://trackingangle.com/

Agreed that Stereophile is losing some great talent but it’s still my go-to. Is the print form a dinosaur? Yep. And it’s a pain to read because the (soybean?) ink smears. Still, I hope it stays around.

1 Like

I’ve met Mikey many times over the years. A real personality, love him or not, but in person one on one I’ve always found him to be a good fellow.

3 Likes

Back at the Absolute Sound

2 Likes

This is a better fit.

2 Likes

Just a few minutes ago I saw a 5-day old Facebook post (I’ll never understand their algorithms) from The Absolute Sound saying Mikey has returned to their editorial fold, as of June 15th. I thought he was happily ensconced at Stereophile, and had some degree of disdain for TAS, based on his prior experiences there. Apparently I was wrong.

1 Like

I was shocked to see how unceremoniously Fremer left Analog Planet. Looks like he is launching (relaunching?) his old magazine Tracking Angle as a website and YouTube channel. I am very happy to see he isn’t gone for good, but just starting something new. No word on his departure details were given on the first YouTube posting.

1 Like

For those that don’t know who Micheal Fremer is, here’s a interesting video interview that summarize who he is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za65wXOaM4U

1 Like

I’m not so sure that MF left of his own volition. The one-sentence version of “best of luck” from TrackingAngle feels a bit forced at best. Was he fired?

Did Fremer create Analog Planet as a separate entity and then Stereophile (actually the various publishing conglomerates) acquired it? Or, was Analog Planet always under the same umbrella but created by Fremer?

It’s probably all about the money, money, money…

It’s been said Stereophile pays poorly. Hmmmmm. I prefer Stereophile to Absolute Sound. I hope that doesn’t change.

…and he has to finance quite a bit of gear, even if he gets part of it on loan temporarily or for free :wink:

He is profit driven as he wants to own the half million dollar TechDAS Zero. He has to have one. Plus he will also want Gryphon Commander and Apex. All the smart guys are getting those. I have a friend who has a chance to buy a low hours Gryphon Ethos for $23k even and he is waffling about it. Its a bargain at list price but 1/3rd off? God.

1 Like

No clue about how he left. Maybe he will talk about it in the future. It seemed very abrupt to me. I always thought that MF was the owner of Analog Planet and was a contributor to Stereophile, but perhaps over the years that ownership changed. Either way I am happy that MF isn’t hanging it up and will still be producing content, I like his stuff.

1 Like

I think he needs smaller amps, as when using the Apex in his room, he has to put his feet on them and this gets hot!

And I guess he will end of this year have a new reference on similar level as the Zero but less than 1/5 of the price.

2 Likes