Modding the DirectStream DAC MKI

You are most certainly entitled to your own opinion :slight_smile:

I would just appreciate that you do not smear my name.

proprietary and patented

2 Likes

@Ted - So, if one replaces the DS analog board today, this is the one you will get, ref. post#86 (?)

That’s the TSS analog board. The DS analog board is significantly smaller.
Here’s a link to the upgrade instructions for the DS:

On page 15 you can see some pictures of the analog card (and how to put it in.)
1 Like

Thanks.
I should have known, but was momentarily confused by the thread title ‘Modding the Directstream DAC’.

Hi guys.
I did it. The standard transformer on my DS was replaced with XS4400. The result is fantastic!

9 Likes

Cool. Was there any noticable “burn-in”?

1 Like

Hi Ted.
The replacement was made on October 26th. I deliberately waited out time for the initial “warm-up” of the transformers, so as not to make hasty conclusions and not to give erroneous advice to the respected community.
The first week, the sound floated strongly, there were moments of delight and grief, but from Monday everything began to return to normal.
The changes were fundamental and they are not comparable to the changes when the firmware was replaced. DAС has moved to a completely new level! I could not even imagine that DS has such potential. Delightful!
It is obvious that the “burning” and adaptation of the transformers in the DS has not yet been completed. I think this will take at least a month.
Thanks so much Ted for your advice on replacing transformers! They gave a second life to my beloved DAС.

5 Likes

Is this just a solder out/solder in job?

Yes.

Thanks, can you post a link to that type of transformer?

1 Like

This is a regular DS: https://www.edcorusa.com/pcw_series
And this is new: https://www.edcorusa.com/xs4400

6 Likes

Are both transformers the same part number.

This is where I like offers of co companies who have “se” or +”. versions or whatever they call them. For those who’d be willing to pay the difference multiplied by those crazy factors for noticeable HW step ups which are not unaffordable.

1 Like

No, the links that yuriy posted are correct, the DS uses a PCW the replacement is the xs4400.

1 Like

Thank you Ted, much appreciated.

Were the two transformers the extent of your mods, @yuriy? I’ver ordered a pair. Thanks!

1 Like

So now we might guess one of the improvements in a next generation of the Directstream…

Indeed

8 Likes

@yuriy, please tell us more about what you’re hearing with this transformer replacement. :slightly_smiling_face: