Modding the DirectStream DAC MKI

I don’t know if this has been addressed here in this thread, but regarding the filter at the IEC,
I was told some time ago by a guy with a huge brain, that he removed his and the sound was noticeably improved.
Thoughts?

2 Likes

I thought Modok had a Mac system!

Interesting question…

Sure Ted put it there for a specific reason,
but wonder if after ERS treating the Dac (i.e. a lot less internal noise) its still required?

Not willing to remove mine to find out though!

I performed the transformer upgrade on my DAC a few weeks ago. And dang this thing sounds fantastic! I loved how the DAC sounded prior to the upgrade, but the added richness and slightly more 3D presentation takes this DAC to yet another level. Next I will be installing a Mu Metal shield around my display.

1 Like

There’s an error message now when clicking on the link to the upgraded transformers.

Does anyone have an updated link for where to purchase them?

XS4400 - 1/2W Quad-filar 1:1:1:1 matching transformer. (edcorusa.com) works for me

8 Likes

Still no shipping to the UK. The only country in the world they won’t ship to. :rage:

Don Audio are showing them in stock at the moment. Lundahl & Edcor Transformer Distribution

1 Like

Was looking up the same - here they are: Edcor XS4400 Quadfiler 1:1:1:1 matching transformer, 61,47 €

@Vmax can you provide a bit more clarity on 3M mod please?

PS Audio

1. I assume 3M AB6005S sheet should be used to cover display and Edcor transformer right?
  2. Picture #2320 shows the top of the transformer covered… should we cover just the top or wrap the full transformer?
  3. There is a mention of drilling a hole in display board… :flushed: or simply cutting to size and slapping the 3M sheet on display board will suffice?

Apple TV

1. Which IEC type for power card should I choose for latest ATV, C7 or C7P?
  2. Should I use 3M AB7050HF for ATV mod?
  3. Is there a photo of what exactly should be done here?

Really appreciate your help.

A question for those who have had the transformer modification: do the Edcore XS4400 transformers make instruments within the soundstage appear to move further back? I am a headphone user, and I hear this effect on all firmware versions after Torreys (YMMV of course). The issue is so important to me that I have been reluctant to make such a drastic modification to a DAC that has given me so much pleasure over the years. But the desire to tweak things to get that little bit extra in performance is also strong. Any advice would be appreciated!

The 6005S needs to completely cover both Edcor transformers all the way to the PWB. I painted the side leads of transformer with liquid electrical tape as well as any through hole vias. I did not want to worry about a short to shield layer since it is conductive.

I covered all the ICs on the Display with 6050s. As well as all ICs on digital board. And all the other noisy components ted listed and bottom of digital board under the noisy components I ran out of 6050S for whole display. But used some AB 7050 HF for a wall of absorber between display and metal power supply heat sink. Either material worksfor the 6050 is a little lower in the blockage but 7050HF works better up higher and for EMF too.

1 1.75m Shunyata Research Venom 14 Power Cord
1.75m : USA Wall Plug IEC : C7

1 Like

Really appreciate @Vmax
Did you use AB7050HF for ATV? I assume you only pasted the 3M sheet on top of ATV and did not have to open the device?

1 Like

Yes I used 7050HF for the Apple TV. The cover is plastic. It works through plastic or metal and from a fair distance away. The 6005S needs to be adhered direct or very close.

2 Likes

Well, weeks later, as the Purple fuses settle in and as I re-tailor and re-tune my system to the newly installed fully modded DSD. . . I am getting stellar sound.

The final piece for me was swapping out Arcturus 0B3 voltage regulation tubes for my Monoblocks’ output tubes to Raytheon 0C3W voltage regulation tubes. Gave me a bit sweeter top end, a bit more open midrange, and a taut and supple low end.

For a while I’m sticking a fork in my system and calling it done! Very happy with the sound and just spinning discs with joy.

4 Likes

That is a great feeling. I am pretty close on my system. I continue to fuss with DSP filter settings and I am a speaker whore so there are a couple more sets to evaluate but overall I could quit adding pieces today and it would be alright.

2 Likes

What would Ted think about this?
@tedsmith

I suspect that the RFI power filter typically integrated in some power inlets isn’t the culprit as much as the IEC inlet contacts.

I’m sure that there are some fine aftermarket IEC inlets. I don’t have any experience with them.

The IEC inlet on most audio equipment is really one of the weakest links. Very few make as solid of a contact as most wall outlets and typical home wall outlets aren’t as good of a contact as hospital grade outlets.

If you don’t change your power cables often skipping as many connections as possible before the transformer can be good.

6 Likes

Thanks Ted I thought I was done upgrading my DSD. Lol

1 Like

Replaced mine which was over 10 years old, installed Furutech NCF.
While doing this which requires making the cutout slightly larger,
I also found that my step-down stock transformer became loose and had to tighten up because it was touching the heat sinks.
There are 2 x 120 vac primary and 2 x 8 vac secondary windings, I presumed a voltage double is used to achieve the 12 volts.
Here are some pictures of the rectifiers and filtering caps which I will be replaced with better quality components.
A big thank you to member minimalist and Ted for helping me out with this.

6 Likes