Modding the DirectStream DAC MKI

These LL1948 transformers have a bad ring issue in these DAC’s that’s why you need the C704 in the first place. 15nF was overkill for these.

If we replace one type of capacitors in the electrical circuit of an audio device with another manufacturer, but of the same rating, then not a single measurement will reveal any objective changes. But our ears will easily hear the difference between them. Therefore, it is not necessary to anticipate the measurement graphs so much, they are certainly important, but not final.

1 Like

He did not say he was changing the type however the one being used is probably the best for that application.

Yes, the difference between those was huge:

If you say the difference between 6.8 and 7.8 is not audible (no problem to believe that), then further differences must be somewhere else between 6.8 or 7.8 and 15nF.

Why would you change something that is not a problem?
You want more air and space then this is not the solution.

I will do some more intensive listening on the weekend because I had the impression yesterday it might be too much top end rise…not sure yet. I only change again if I recognize unnatural top end extension by longer listening.

Good Luck

This is what you need. No C704 patch. Talk about air, space and timing. -0.25dB at 100k :grin:

Look at what else changes besides the frequency response with that cap installed. Look at the phase error with and without C704. That will definitely change the sound.

With:

Without:

Yes, I’m sure that’s the most perfect solution…but the option to dial the top end in with the C704 isn’t bad either :wink: It’s so much better than the original or the XS4400 without cap for sure.

2 Likes

Under the given circumstances and considering my still limited possibilites the combination with 6,8nF for the Lundahls is pretty much perfect. There are caps in the ECHU line from Panasonic with 8,2nF or 10nF. The 7.8nF is just no standard value and not available as far as I know.
But I will not change the caps again. Just let everything burn in and settle down. I believe it gets even better over time!

Yes, I’d do the same and wait, but I have to decide before I get the other treatments…I will see this weekend.

So within the Panasonic line we use now, there’s no other value between 6.8 and 15? I didn’t look yet.

I think someone else here mentioned he used a value around 10 after he tried the 6.8 after the 15 but I’m not sure.

There they are.

Thanks, I ordered the GX5 2% as 8200 and 10000 just in case I need them.

1 Like

Did you switch from the 15nF cap to the 6800pF for C704 or start with the 6800pF cap? If you switched, what was the biggest difference.

My DS MKI is with the electronics shop to make the change,

-Alan

Does the flatter line in the Without graph mean there is no phase error?

-Alan

very little

What value did you choose?

I had the 15nF first and then changed to the 6800pF.

Major changes were a much more open top end, letting the sound breathe more. Right now it still has a very slight zzzing effect, just a tiny bit too much on critical recordings only, which should still sound completely natural.

I try to burn in the cap for several days continuously now, if it stays like that I go up to 8200 or 10000pF which will quite sure be perfect then.

Besides the other mods, the correct C704 value will do magic here, as the original and XS4400 tuned DS always lacked openness for me, which can now be dialed in perfectly. Even if it still won’t have the same combination of extension AND body as great vinyl playback, it’s so damn perfect then, that one wouldn’t notice anything missing without direct comparison.