Modding the DirectStream DAC MKI

Seems that simply clipping the leads from the old transformers would be much safer and much easier to suck out the remainder and solder vs trying to relieve all holes of solder to remove the orig transformer. No large heatsink to draw the heat away.

Then soldering in the new is simple.

In retrospect, I could have done this.

2 Likes

Hahahaā€¦I drove up to Ft. Collins with my DSD to do the mods. Itā€™s probably 70 miles away, so we (3) are in the same sail away to mod-land boat.

I tried that, but I could not get a clipper to fit between the transformer and board. There simply is not that much room.

I was a bit reluctant to make this offer, but having performed the transformer change on my own DAC and a couple of friends, one of them has convinced me that I should offer the service to others who would like to have it done. So if someone would like to have the transformer mod done, private message me and we can discuss specifics and my terms. Happy listening all.

10 Likes

Good man.

1 Like

Please note, that while I am willing to perform this transformer mod, I have no desire to risk getting into any dispute or any claims of wrong doing on my part. Let it be clearly understood, Anyone that decides to pursue this, know that you are doing so entirely of your own free will and take full and sole responsibility for doing so. You will be 100% responsible for all shipping costs, insurance and packaging. You must provide the transformers and preferably just the analog board. Items must be properly packaged to avoid shipping damage. This is not my profession, it is my hobby that Iā€™ve enjoyed for over forty years.

4 Likes

wctaudio could you please say where you are based, thanks

Nothing in life is without risk. Youā€™re right to post the release of liability. It may not hurt to ask any takers to sign an actual release just for your safety.

Thanks Brett66. Mike Iā€™m located in the Atlanta, GA area.

I would recommend WCTaudio. He did the mod for me and Iā€™ve been very pleased with the incredible sound improvement. Very neat job. Very conscientious and trustworthy.

3 Likes

Since we havenā€™t beaten this question quite to death yetā€¦ :blush:

For the on/off sequenceā€¦does this apply only when shutting down the DSD via the back rocker switch? I normally leave it powered up, and just put it in standby when not listening.

Would I need to shut down the LPS prior to putting the DSD in standby, or is it OK to leave the LPS powered?

Only when using the back power switch. Think of standby as a mute.

2 Likes

Thank you for those good words of endorsement John. Much appreciated.

Can the Bridge ii be installed in a separate case?

No, not really. Thereā€™s tons of internal communication with the DAC that wouldnā€™t be possible.

Hello,
Is there a chance to post some pictures of the installed XS4400 quadfiler 1:1:1:1 matching transformer in your DSD, and a few guide lines about the removal of the stock transformers and installation of the upgraded ones.
Thank you in advance. Terry

They are already in this thread. Many times over.

1 Like

Vmax, Thank you a whole bunch.
Found them and ordered the XS4400 transformers.

You are in for a real treat. It is the best and cheapest performance tweak out there for digital chain.

4 Likes

Give them 200 hours to settle before making any judgements though. The path can be a bit rough at times.