Modding the DirectStream DAC MKI

Thx Ted. I can see what your saying.

I have a sheet of Stillpoints EMR paper coming this week. It’ll be enough to shield the bottom of the digital board and display.

Thx!

@vee - Mattijs shared the noise spectrum results from 1KHz to 100KHz in 2019 and that is what propelled me to purchase the Super3 over the Sbooster power supplies I owned. Thanks for sharing this link because I now see the 20Hz to 1KHz noise spectrum and it looks better than I thought it would. Also, thanks for sharing the DAC mod w/ 12V FARAD. The FARAD power supplies are amazing and Mattijs is a really nice guy to work with on specing cables… I might be tempted to purchase my 5th FARAD supply for this DAC mod. Since I own a solder station and ESD wrist strap, I might give it a go…

Measurement Summary:
Voltage loaded: 11.8V
Voltage unloaded: 12.14V
Noise max: -122 (55 KHz) dBV
Noise min: -145dBV

2 Likes

You mean you use 5 Farad around the DS periphery? For what?

@jazznut - at present four: N+, AQVOX-SE, Giga-Foil, and Matrix; thinking Ethernet Regen in place of AQVOX-SE & Giga Foil; then re-purposing the 4th FARAD ($150 for components from Mattijs) for DS DAC. Another approach is just 5th FARAD for the DS DAC. Cost wise it is about the same; however, heard good things about the regen so might reconfigure.

To:

2 Likes

I can help you.

I did offer you installation of the the power supply with the second transformer TDS.

Should the cables be twisted when replacing the analog card power supply?
@tedsmith @yuriy @wctaudio

And…

What was the 4 core hookup wire that in an earlier install (with pics) that Ted almost recommended?

Will be sorting out a BOM for parts soon.

Thanks.

A slow twist can help two ways, keeping the wires dressed well and lowering common mode interference on the wires. The actual effect probably isn’t high, but it will help things look a little better.

4 Likes

It is better to twist the conductors counterclockwise, and I will add that the twisting step affects the tonal balance.

2 Likes

@yuriy Tonal balance by impedance affect?

I believe it was Ray Kimber of Kimber Kable who discover counter rotating weaving a cable can have a dramatic effect on the sound. It helps cancel conductor interactions and reduce noise. He says never run conductors parallel, as that would have the opposite effect.

2 Likes

I work in the field of avionics and all A429 cables are twisted (i.e. twisted shielded pair) to allow longer wires in the aircraft without being affected by noise as the twisted cable provides a noise cancelling effect.

A429 meaning digital bus cables? Or something else in the aircraft you work on?

@VMAX, yes digital bus cable.
But, the principle of twisted wires cancelling the noise remains the same regardless what signal goes through the wire.
I actually work in developing s/w for a certain type of avionics device called a Flight Management System (FMS) used by pilots to plan their flight plan and provide steering commands throughout the flight.
All of the digital data coming in/out of the FMS goes through A429 digital busses.

3 Likes

I plan to order the Orange fuse for my DS DAC from TheCableCo, I would like to use a higher rating of 1.2a to prevent premature blow, but they only have 1a and 1.6a slo blo, should I get the 1.6a instead?

Go to VH Audio. They have the same sale, and I believe they have 1.25a. 1.6a seems a bit on the high side for proper protection.

VH Audio has the same 1a and 1.6a. I think they all do drop shipping from manufacturer.

I would just get the 1a. I have never heard a fuse blowing with the DS. Unless something bad happens, then 1.2a will blow anyway.

2 Likes

My SR Orange 1a in my DSD for a year no issues.

1 Like