Modding the DirectStream DAC MKI

Is there a relay involved, switching the XLR to/from the single ended?

And I would assume the transformer primary ct is not connected?

Thanks, T

1 Like

No need for a relay - and how would it know what cables were plugged in? We recommend that people don’t connect both the unbalanced and the balanced if they hear a hum or other miss match, but many run both at the same time with no problem.

The best way to make a working mod is to better understand the circuit by tracing things out - otherwise you won’t know where to make cuts, etc.

I see, thanks. Thought I had read something about a switching relay.

Thanks, T

My DS dac is broken again.
The electricity was cut off for transformer maintenance in our area. When it was cut off, I took the switch at the entrance of the house to the off position.
When it came back, I noticed that the device was not working. It reacts differently when the card is inserted and outside. I don’t hear the sound I hear when it is turned on. There is a small flash of light on the screen. The fuse is solid and there is no problem with the 12 volts going to the analog card.

When the card is out, there is a light on the on-off button, when the card is inserted, the light goes out.

Annoying, I had just replaced the screen and the board on the back.

Does the unit work without the bridge 2 card installed?

1 Like

Do you have any mods done?

1 Like

All of the mods are done, it doesn’t work when there is no bridge.

What Power supply are you using? The power supply I linked above works great with the DS even with all the power outages we have had here. Also the power board we make sequences the analog power on/off at the correct time which should eliminate these kinds of failures.

diy psu

That could be the problem. If the voltage goes too high it could take out downstream components. That’s one reason I like the voltage meter on the power supply.

Power supply controller boards are do in this week. The Holiday did slow down shipping a little.
Look for payment / shipping instructions soon. I will be sending a PM to everyone on the list of interested members.
Thanks!
Happy Modding.

6 Likes

In case there will be a future batch of power supply controller boards, I’d like to be on the list for that (international to Norway).

OK… I think we have enough for everyone. Boards came in today however now we are waiting on the relays. We stuff the relays & power connectors here (the through hole components). The board manufacture stuffs everything else. Boards look great. I am building the internal power cables this weekend. I had enough relays to put one in my DS and it’s working great! Note the green LED. This indicates we are running on the external power supply. Red LED indicates the controller board is seeing 12v from the external power supply and the DS is powered off. No LED indicates the DS is running on the internal power supply with no external power connected.
Should be shipping soon. :smiley:

13 Likes

Can’t wait! Looks great!

1 Like

:+1:

1 Like

Boy am I proud of my son. In less then a month he engineered, designed, sourced parts, built and thoroughly tested / revised this unit from just me explaining what I wanted. My hope is that everyone who orders this kit will have them in there hands by the end of the year.
Have a great weekend!

8 Likes

Can’t wait!!! Super excited about giving this a whirl

1 Like

This is so exciting. I’m not seeing a switch to toggle (and guessing that would be dangerous). So does it basically work such that you connect the LPS to the board prior to turning the DAC on, and it will automatically power from the LPS, and if you power down and remove the DC cable and power up it powers from the AC cable?

One still needs to have both AC and DC plugged in for the unit to function, correct? (I’d love to be wrong about this)