My recent experience with Revelation Audio Labs

Which Dragon is the fire breathing one in catalog? AQ gives me a headache with their names. I wonder why the directional dragon is cheaper.

There are two versions to confuse you. AQ does not explain it clearly.
The eARC version is meant for video mainly. There is a pair of data return wires that can go back to your sound bar or HT receiver. While the eARC version has the same amount of conductors, the return pair is not a priority as the video pairs so they use silver plated long grain copper instead of perfect surface pure silver for this pair. The insulation also need not be as good on this return pair as well. That is where the saving is. You will not get the same audio performance from the eARC version, so avoid it unless you’re using it for video only.

1 Like

It would be interesting to compare these to the PS Audio i2S pinout for DSD. Silver plated copper in Wire World HDMI comes up short to the full Silver versions in sound but video is close. So I am not surprised AQ took that route.

The eARC cables don’t work with I2S? At least that’s what I’ve been told.

I posed as a new purchaser to get him to answer… I got him to answer got a lame promise then went to PayPal for a refund, that did the trick

I was just informed that my cable is due to ship this week, after I told him that I was completely fed up.

Too bad I’ve already made alternative arrangements.

During a phone call with my credit card company:

Me: “I’d like to dispute a charge for a product I ordered in March, but have not yet taken delivery.”

Rep: “Fine. Can you describe the item?”

Me: “It’s a Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy CryoSilver 99% HDMI cable.”

Rep: “What is that?”

Me: “It’s a cable for an audio system.”

CC Rep: “Sure, how much is the charge?”

Me: “$799.00”

Rep: “How many did you order?”

Me: “One.”

Rep: {Softly} “Wowww…”

Me: “I know, right?” :wink:

12 Likes

That’s funny shtuff.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This is to shed some light on time delays with Revelation Audio Labs: Brad only has a handful of employees and is always backlogged for custom orders. I ordered a 15’ USB cable Aug. 7, 2019 which arrived to me on Sept. 16, 2019. The sonic improvements when using this cable in my system cannot be overemphasized.

3 Likes

There is a legal page which states ALL ITEMS ORDERED ARE COMPLETELY NON-CANCELABLE. And as to your surmising that AQ is better than RAL, I invite you to stop by and listen to my system if you are ever around Kennebunk, ME.

So, your custom order in 2019 took about a month. My stock order is (was) four months and counting.

Perhaps it wouldn’t be so bad of a wait if a) there was even a modicum of communication regarding an order, and b) a congruity between what he claims on the website (orders are fulfilled in the queue as they are received), and reality (someone here got a 10-day turnaround on the exact cable that I am STILL waiting on).

It’s called integrity. Say what you’ll deliver; deliver what you say.

According to the FTC, “If you can’t ship within the promised time (or within 30 days if you made no promise), you must notify the customer of the delay, provide a revised shipment date and explain his right to cancel and get a full and prompt refund.”

3 Likes

See my last post about the legal page.

See my last post about what the FTC page says.

I believe the FTC guidelines would prevail over the homespun web page of a given vendor.

Besides, is there any reasonable excuse for not picking up the phone or sending an email when one knows there’s a significant delay?

2 Likes

I found in my troubles with communicating with Brad that email works better than phone: the guy is just TOO busy.

Neither phone or emails worked. Not once.

Good for you that you had some luck. I did not.

Brad has responded to me with other emails I have sent him since my purchase. I will send an email to him and see if I can nudge him to respond, hope it will help.

Thanks for the offer, but specifically don’t bother on my account.

It’s in the hands of my credit card company now, and I’m quite happy with that.

I’m not talking about cancelling, but you can get refunded if the seller refuse to ship an item if given a reasonable time. I filed a dispute and my credit card company rule in my favor and refunded me the full amount.

Aw c’mon, I have the RAL for over a year, and nothing I found is better, but this AQ Dragon is something else. The RAL sounds so veiled next to the Dragon it’s silly. In my system, it has made my DMP sound like it has never sounded before, it’s that good. But as I said before, every system is different, so the AQ might not work for you.

Have you tried the AQ Dragon 48 in your system before and compared it to the RAL?

1 Like

No, but I trust Kalman Rubinson of Stereophile Magazine who uses the RAL (Recommended Component) in his reference system: KR first became acquainted with Revelation Audio Labs’ USB cables when a set was supplied with his Baetis Prodigy-X server. He was especially intrigued by the build quality of RAL’s DualConduit design, in which dual Type A USB plugs converge in a single Type B USB plug, with one lead for signal and the other for the 5V USB power. The RAL DualConduit remains a KR reference in various computer-audio settings. (Vol.41 No.3 WWW). And my system incorporates PS Audio Stellar M700 monoblock amplifiers which are Class A rated components.