Need 25'-30' RCA Run to Subwoofer - Low Noise

Thanx all.

I have a new home and the subwoofer setup is not optimal. I need to run a 25’-30’ mono RCA/unbalanced cable from the processor to the sub and there is no way around it.

Recommendation for a cheap low-noise cable? Any tips for keeping noise off of this line?

Many years ago, I ran some long RCA cables and they were noisy as hell. Totally useless. Now given this is a sub and in a home theater, I really don’t care about sound quality at all, just not picking up noise. Cheap is a requirement. I also don’t mind making my own if that is what it takes.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Talk to Frank at Signal Cable. Great quality and great prices.

3 Likes

+1 for Signal Cables

1 Like

Another question:

Does a shielded cable, with the shield grounded to the chassis, share the same ground in a component as the signal ground?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

I use a 22 foot Belden 1505F from Blue Jeans Cable and have no noise problems.

1 Like

Even better, go to Parts Express and get a wireless transmitter/receiver combo for your sub. No chance of noise, and probably cheaper than a 30’ cable…

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-Wave-Link-WLS-System-2.4-GHz-Full-Range-Wireless-Pair-300-594

2 Likes

Blue Jeans LC-1 is a good choice. 30’ is only $75.

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/subwoofer/index.htm

I was thinking that a wireless solution for this setup would work really well.

3 Likes

Thanx all, I went ahead and ordered the Dayton wireless thing from Parts Express from your recommendation. I didn’t even think of this solution.

About $85 with tax and shipping. And I don’t have to run a wire along the threshold of a sliding glass door.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

3 Likes

Let us know what happens.

Have fun!

“Subscribed”.

1 Like

I think I will install it between my PS Audio DAC and PrimaLuna integrated. That should tell me what this link really sounds like. No long test, I can get a grip on sound pretty quickly and I don’t have high hopes for this thing… but that is not what is important on my link to a sub in my home theater system.

Stay tuned.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

2 Likes

Hope it works out, be interesting to know if it introduces a processing delay :slight_smile:

I think I have a 25’ or so Belden cable from Blue Jeans around here somewhere.
EDIT: NM…it’s a digital cable BNC to RCA

http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/a01p.html
I am sure they would do single if you email Ghent.

Update:

Got the units in and they work great! Thanx Chops and everyone so much.

For the woofer setup, it sounds… well I certaintly can’t tell fidelity issues with this subwoofer setup as I expected. The setup is stupid easy plug 'n play, and they give you a bunch of cables for any setup.

To test the fidelity in general, I hooked it up between my PS Audio Directstream DAC and PrimaLuna integrated. I then listened through my Focal Clear headphones attached to the amp. I used the cable hookups that Dayton units; they are super cheapie cables. For tunes, I used only one 44.1 CD rip I made of Raul Malo, The Nashville Sessions. I played Early Morning Rain… man you have to listen to Raul’s version of this truly beautiful song. Wow, just a heavenly tune and Raul’s singing is just wonderful.

So… how did the Daytons do? As soon as the tune started, I though “wow, these sound pretty darn good”, But, then it didn’t sound all that great. Overall, the sound was old digital without the high-frequency brightness. Hard to describe, but I chose this recording because of the human voice. The voice had an edge to it. No need to listen more.

I will say emphatically… if you have to get a stereo signal from here to there without wires, this will do it and the sound is not offensive.

Thanx again,
Bruce in Philly

2 Likes

Very nice! It’s great to know that this worked out for you.

The Forum comes through again. I love the collaboration!