Need telescope info please

Hello all. I need to buy a telescope for my young son. Any input please. I am not looking for a toy , I really want something good and a quick lesson on types please. I know some have a motorized base to locate points of interests . I would prefer this kind .

Help please.

Al d

Al, you’re like Ricochet Rabbit! :wink:

Short answer:

http://meade.shptron.com/c/telescopes_etx-series

http://www.vixenoptics.com/reflectors/vmc95l.html

http://www.bigbinoculars.com/mounted.htm

People often overlook the binoculars since they think of them as having another, terrestrial purpose but they have some advantages over telescopes in some situations.

Yea I am a busy dude all over the place it’s living life after 55 man and I have a 7 year old , I have what I got left here and a lot to do. And thanks for the reply I really mean that .

I will look them up. I will go to hp photo on Monday , but I wanted a quick idea first . Thanks

Thanks some really cool stuff there . How are you doing ? I. Have been reading on a forum I found

Thebestforums . Com. And they have beenpeople talking about your cross over the berringer . Lol

Talking very well .

Al d

Whatsthebestforum. Com

I suggest checking Sky and Telescope.

Ok I will check them out too thanks

I have a question. What is a good optic strength to but meaning the power of the telescope?

Al so there seems to be different types of scopes , some have folded lenses and others not. Does anyone here understand the basis and need for either to better or or more practical in use. I know I want one that will find my points of interests for me by entering codes for locations.

Al

One of the big hurdles to cross in beginning astronomy is to curtail one’s expectations. What you will see with the naked eye using amateur equipment, even good amateur equipment, is usually far below the novice’s expectations. After spending, say, $1,000.00, don’t expect to see star images as anything more than fuzzy dots. Planetary observation will be hazy at best but you will get great views of the moon. We have wonderful images from big terrestrial telescopes and even better ones from the Hubbel that have upped our expectations of what we “should” see. Many people lose interest after the realization that they will have to make do looking at fuzzy dots as a hobby. I don’t mean to be discouraging, but this is just the way it is. You easiest and most spectacular viewing will be with a pair of big binoculars looking at the moon. If you can get him interested in the moon, and there is a lot there to look at, he will get a great introduction to astronomy. Planetary observation will be colored smudges unless you spend a few thousand on a decent telescope AND be out where it is very dark. Deep sky images are always fuzzy to the eye and many cannot be seen using “just the eye to the eyepiece” without huge telescopes. Deep sky viewing from The City is not an option.

Give Kevin at Oberwerk a call. His products are reasonably priced and are a better view for the $ than you can get with the telescope manufacturers. He’ll be able to answer all of your questions. Tell him the “tripod lamp” guy sent you. :smiley:

Toll-free: 1-866-OBERWERK

Phone: 937-253-8010

Excellent information and perspective.

An additional thing to know is that the images from the Hubble, etc. have been colorized and many are not even visible via visible light. One does not see these gorgeous, colorful structures in space.

My father had a massive telescope custom made for him (on tracks, multiple motors, etc.). While he finds it fascinating, most find it very dull after a few looks.

A little tidbit that surprised me: the telescope must be wheeled outside hours prior to viewing as an temperature differential creates optical distortion. (There are also heaters and other electronics, but i do not know how they are used.)

Thanks people as always a wealth of info here . Two other people in other forums said the same about a telescope , that bino,s is the better way to go. My home here in NY is right next to a large park too so it does make sense in all ways . and my home in the south will be even better for the stars and all,others too . At night it’s just so much more to see in the sky.

Al d

http://www.astronomy.com/rapid/2013/09/viewing-the-night-sky-through-binoculars

Looky!

Thanks I am going to BH PHOTO. In NYC today. To buy the most powerfull pair

They have for my 7 year old. Thanks a lot. If I can help you guys with something just ask. I’m a little slow but there is some stuff I do know really well.

Al

Al-

I agree with many of the others here that binos are very nice. They have many advantages:

* Portable

* Relatively low cost

* They are intuitive to aim

* They provide bright, non-inverted, three-dimensional images that can be breathtaking

* They are very versatile

However, there are some disadvantages you might consider:

* Not everyone can look through binoculars - it really is difficult for some to see correctly aligned images through both barrels, meaning that you’re only using half of what you paid for. This is further complicated by the fact that large binos often loose collimation so that the barrels are not pointed at the same part of the sky.

* High magnification binos require a tripod - a pair of 20x80s is too heavy for even a adult to hold steady enough by hand.

* Fixed magnification - unlike a telescope, you can’t switch eyepieces and change the magnification to suit the subject you’re viewing.

* You can’t use filters. Living on the east coast, a sky glow filter may come in handy but that isn’t a practical option with binoculars.

* You can’t use them for photography (at least not very well).

* When mounted on a tripod, you will find it is difficult to share the binoculars with another person unless you’re both exactly the same height. This will require adjusting the tripod or using a stool. Each time you move the tripod, you’ll have to aim the binos all over again. You’ll also probably have to adjust the distance between the barrels for each viewer.

* No star tracking - as the Earth turns, your subject will continually move out of view.

There is no perfect telescope or pair of binoculars - every one is a compromise between cost, optics, portability, and function.

-Pb

Yes, I agree! Oberwerk binocs are collimated by hand by Kevin and are known for this. Power is not as important as good optics and light gathering ability. Too powerful and the image will shake about miserably. A good STURDY tripod is essential. Much more substantial than your usual photo tripod. Your son is seven an his interpupillary distance (PD) is probably not as wide as yours so when the binocs are folded to their narrowest they may not be narrow enough for him(!).

Peanut Butter said: There is no perfect telescope or pair of binoculars - every one is a compromise between cost, optics, portability, and function.

Even more than speakers, so true.

A small (4 to 6 inch) Dobsonian reflector is:

* Small enough for even your son to move.

* Is easy to use.

* Is easy to share.

* Will teach your son how to find things in the sky (a fancy, computer guided mount won’t teach this skill).

* Is sufficiently powerful to see lots of stuff and let him discover if this is really a hobby he wants to pursue.

* Is very affordable.

* Is easy to maintain.

* Will always be useful. Even when he builds his own 20-inch computer-guided light-sucking monster, that 4.5" he got when he was 7 will still be a delight to use for a quick observation.

Get this, a nice, basic star atlas, and a subscription to Sky & Telescope.

If you go this route, don’t get carried away. Too big a scope and you’ll loose portability and storage will be a big problem. Orion makes a nice 4.5" model that sells for around $250 and comes with a great selection of eyepieces.

Too powerful and the image will shake about miserably. A good STURDY tripod is essential. Much more substantial than your usual photo tripod.

Yes! High power binos could be very frustrating for someone who doesn’t already know the sky as it will be very hard to find things due to the narrow field of view. Expect to pay nearly as much for the tripod and the head as you do for the binoculars.

I bought a telescope a celestro nexstar 127 SL. IT IS UPTO 200 power and motorized . I bought a book and moon filter and two lenses . About 500.00 delivered to house in two days . The man there lives in my neibor hood too. He suggested the telescope over the binocs as they are only about 20 power at best. It’s a folding lens so it is small and about 6 inches in diameter . He explained it to me not so bad . I am happy and he said down south there is much more to see. Even here there is plenty too and the moon alone will have so much detail . The larger diameter of the lens the briter the object and having a folding lens gives you much more power in a shorter scope. Many thanks to all . Maybe I can post some pics.

Al D

=D> Yay!

() () () >-) () () ()

I know crisis management . And I fractured a rib over the weekend too . Got the X-ray to prove it.

@ALRAINBOW =D> cool, it would be fun to see some pics.

Anyone have a suggestion for binos that hook to a recorder? preferably with a night-vision feature.

I live on an island and have critters passing through my yard quite often.

Especially in the winter when they come from a near by otherwise uninhabited [humans] island.

I have Steiners from my boat but have limited power [ to avoid puking] so they cover the yard but if I want to see what the coyote has in his mouth out on the lake they are not very effective.

Any suggestions, maybe army surplus?