New Directstream Junior No Sound Output

Hi All,

I am very new to these forums, but this one seems very active, so I am hopefull that someone may be able to assist me.

I just got my new Directstream Junior and connected it all up to find that there is no sound output.

My Setup:

Directstream -> Arcam AVR 850 via RCA

I have tried multiple inputs including optical & Ethernet.

I do have a locked signal from the Directstream, which indicates that it is receiving a signal. However there is no output (I do have an occasional clicking sound though).

I have tested the same cables and connections to ensure that the cables and AVR are not the issue i.e. AVR is playing sound from the same inputs, using the same cables (using the same input sources).

I have also tried to update the Firmware based on the one from the website… no luck.

Any guidance or additional aspects to check would be very much appreciated.

cheers,

Marc.

This is a puzzle. I would call PS Audio this morning. If it’s not on mute, I don’t know what would be keeping it from outputting sound. Sorry this is happening, hope you are listening to music soon.

Is there any chance there is a small icon on the display? Any at all? There should be only the volume numbers that go up and down as you rotate the knob. I am thinking perhaps the mute function is on. Check the remote.

If this is a new DSJ there’s no way it left the factory not working so we have to imagine another cause for it.

My first guess is your source. This is a DAC and even though it might be locked, if for some reason the source is not connecting properly you’ll get no sound. Tell us of your source.

marcjones said

…I have tested the same cables and connections to ensure that the cables and AVR are not the issue i.e. AVR is playing sound from the same inputs, using the same cables (using the same input sources).

So you have disconnected the L+R RCA cable from the back of DSJ and connected it to another source, and you get sound?

And you have tried a CD player with optical/coax input to the DSJ, and whilst this is playing you get 44.1/16 showing on the display?

You had no luck with the firmware meaning what, the firmware updated but still no sound, or the firmware didn’t update?

I assume also volume is indicating 100 on DSJ display?

My DSJ was also highly problematic brand new out of the box (as was my DMP). A force load version of the software fixed it. You might need to try the force load version of the software. PS Audio Customer Support can help you with that.

Thanks all for your input.

So as an update… after a few restarts and trying to update the firmware again, the sound is now playing.

Firmware now says Torreys 0.0.0 now instead of 2.7.11 (not sure if this had anything to do with it).

The bad news is that now the music plays for between 1 to 3 minutes and then I get a hissing sound (like static) with a crack sound every 13.5 seconds.

When I restart the DSJ, same thing again sound for 1 to 3 minutes and then hissing with crack sound.

I have tried different inputs (SAT box via optical, CD via optical, Ethernet seperately) the result is the same…

One thing to note is that when I have the ethernet as input after the 1 to 3 minutes the bridge is no longer visible via roon.

The sound though is great for that 3 minutes :slight_smile: