New LANRover = No Music

Aloha,

The LANRover just arrived and I eagerly installed it, replacing an iFi Nano iUSB. I rebooted both the DAC and Amp. The DAC is recognized by my Mac. But no sound reaches the DAC. Tried with iTunes, Amarra 4, and Audirvana. If I unplugged the LANRover, sound comes out of the MacBook speakers. Bypassing the LANRover, sound works fine the the iFi.

My chain goes like this:

MacBook Pro --> usb --> LANRover (all connected properly, all lights in good order) --> USB --> Stellar Gain Cell DAC --> S300 Power Amp --> Sonus Farber speakers.

PS Audio is closed, thus no one to call for the weekend. Any help would be much appreciated!

John,

Make sure your DAC is selected under the audio midi app. Mine is set to 2ch 24bit 352.8khz.

The only way I know of to get LANRover to work with a Mac is to use HQPlayer. I had it setup for Roon to output to HQPlayer which saw the LANRover just fine. It would also play DSD 128, which is a bonus. LR wouldn’t work without it for some reason. I have only worked with Roon and not Audirvana or Amarra. I know the LANRover won’t work with iTunes (shudder - I hate iTunes with a passion!). I’ve subsequently moved on to Bridge II which I think sounds a little better than LANRover. Slightly. That doesn’t take anything away from LANRover, though. It sounds great!

I have iTunes working with LanRover. Amgradmd, I hate iTunes as well. The only reason I am keeping it because I want a central library where I can also sync my music to my iPhone.

a25105 said

John,

Make sure your DAC is selected under the audio midi app. Mine is set to 2ch 24bit 352.8khz.

Thanks for the tip. There are mixed results, leaning heavily towards unacceptable. The good news is that after adjusting audio midi, Audirvana Plus (2.6.8) does indeed play across the LANRover. It sounds very good. However, Audirvana will only play if I have the preQursor2 pluggin activated. Straight up Audirvana won’t play.

iTunes will not even launch if the LANRover is connected, much less play. In fact, iTunes was so bewildered, that even after unplugging the LR, it still wouldn’t launch - had to do a restart. Amarra 4 Luxe launches, and plays, but no sound comes out - even with audio midi set correctly.

Under the same set of circumstances, all play correctly with the iFi Nano iUSB 3 - zero issues.

No doubt, the LANRover sounds very good, I love how it handles the highs, so smoothly rolled. But for a $600 device, claimed to be Mac compatible, this is an unacceptable scenario. It seems like an awfully narrow window to actually be able to hear music! iFi, ISO Regan, Wyred 4 Sound, Intona are all simply plug and play, no matter the software used. PS Audio is a great company, however, I find this performance to be unacceptable. Certainly PS Audio can engineer compatibility on par with those other companies?

True, when the LR does play, it sounds wonderful. It just feels like very shaky ground. What if I upgrade to Audirvana Plus 3? Will it all still work? $600 is too much to spend for such an unstable product. I feel I have no choice - and very disappointed - but to return the LANRover unless PS Audio can wow me with a solution on Monday.

a25105 said

I have iTunes working with LanRover. Amgradmd, I hate iTunes as well. The only reason I am keeping it because I want a central library where I can also sync my music to my iPhone.

How did you get iTunes to work? As I wrote, for me, iTunes won’t even launch if the LANRover is plugged in, much less play.

Thx

Curious. I too use iTunes and Bit Perfect (you can’t in good conscience use iTunes without Bit Perfect - really) and LANRover without issue on a MAC. It should be transparent. LANRover connects to DirectStream and when I go to Audio MIDI control in the Mac, I can see the PS Audio driver and select it. Bingo. It just works.

I just purchased the LANRover. I’m using older version of Amarra…3.0.2.

Set up…Mac Mini (Snow Leopard)>LR (direct ethernet connection)>Curious USB>Schiit Bifrost. In Amarra MIDI setup, the DAC doesn’t show up??? When I go straight from Mac Mini to DAC…it shows up.

Any suggestions? Thanks

It’s Ammara which is kind of quirky. Switch to Bit Perfect (better sounding anyway) and give it a try. It’s $10.

Paul McGowan said

Curious. I too use iTunes and Bit Perfect (you can’t in good conscience use iTunes without Bit Perfect - really) and LANRover without issue on a MAC. It should be transparent. LANRover connects to DirectStream and when I go to Audio MIDI control in the Mac, I can see the PS Audio driver and select it. Bingo. It just works.

Hi Paul,

Nice to meet you. This gives me a degree of hope. Hopefully your team can help me on Monday. Now even Audirvana only plays every once in awhile. iTunes (with or without Bitperfect), Amarra 4 Luxe, and Fidelia all will not play with the LR connected and the midi audio settings proper.

The SGCD appears in the apps, as well as system preferences, and audio midi. So the signal is getting through.

I would love to be able to keep the LANRover. It solves my desire to have a tube like sound added to my chain, yet does so much more than what a tube buffer would do. So the LR is perfect solution. If it would only play music!

I am still on El Capitan. Are you running Sierra?

Same here. I can get LR to work with iTunes but not iTunes/Bitperfect. I just get no sound from that combo even after I closed them out. Only way to get sound back is to reboot the Mac. Tried to adjust settings in Bitperfect but no change. I am running Sierra/Bitperfect 3.1.1. I would love to get this working as well.

To my way of thinking, there is no reason why the LR should not play any of the various music playback apps. iTunes, BitPerfect, Amarra, Roon, HQ Player, Fidelia, Audirvana, JRiver - whatever. We should have free license to choose whatever playback arrangement we like. And the LANRover should simply play it.

My iFi Nano does just that. In ISO Regan forums, I see nothing about the sort of issues we’re experiencing with the LR.

So its certainly possible from an engineering perspective if these far less accomplished companies than PS Audio can achieve this simple goal. Because I’m in my trial period, I’m concerned about committing to a device that has issues with playing music across such a wide swath of players.

Our staff is off during the holidays, returning Wednesday. That’s a great time to give them a call. I don’t remember what OS version but I can make sure we get this to work. For sure it will.

a25105 said

Oh yeah. iTunes won’t work with Bridge II. My bad.

iTunes won’t work with Bridge II because iTunes does not support UPnP. Didn’t work with Bridge I for the same reason.

I upgraded my MacBook Pro from El Capitan to the latest Sierra. Now Audirvana, both independent and iTunes integrated works normally. Sounds great.

iTunes launches now, but does not play. Bit Perfect freezes and I have to restart the Mac.

Fidelia and Amarra 4 Luxe launch, play, but no sound.

However, I’m not the biggest Audirvana fan. Its core sound is aggressive. Much prefer Amarra 4 Luxe, even though it library management is substandard - the sound is heavenly.

Hopefully the crack staff at PS Audio can sort this on Wednesday, otherwise the LR is making its way back to Colorado.

Paul McGowan said

Our staff is off during the holidays, returning Wednesday. That’s a great time to give them a call. I don’t remember what OS version but I can make sure we get this to work. For sure it will.

…" I can make sure we get this to work. For sure it will ". Paul, you never appear burdened or dented by what’s asked of you ? …( With Some Poetic License ) " Ah, but P S Audio’s reach should exceed their grasp or what’s a heaven for "

Well, I am often flummoxed but not in this case. His setup is near identical to my own and I know it works.

As far as burdened, I answer customer emails and requests 7 days a week. It’s not a burden at all.

Its peculiar for sure. I’m using the cables from you guys, plus my long owned Supra USB 2.0 cable. The DAC is brand new from you, the SGCD. All work well with or without the iFi Nano iUSB and the LR unplugged.

Could it be my LR is defective?

Update…I tried running iTunes w/o Amarra and with the LR installed Audio MIDI doesn’t show my DAC. The DAC shows up when the LR is removed.

This is weird. When I first got the LR, I had no problems. I unplugged some things on my stereo rack (to rearrange), and after rebooting the Mac Mini this all started.

I’ll call in on Wednesday.