New P20 ..... more details please?

That is incorrect, Paul. In fact Class D is only referring to the amplifier itself. Take Hypex, for example. This company makes great Class D amplifiers and couples them with conventional analog power supplies. I don’t believe they even make a SMPS (but that was some time ago).

1 Like

hm, ok that’s possible …I thought a 1,4 kW sub amp, even if class D sucks a considerable amount, assumed the rest of the setup sums up to ~1kW.

Tx Paul - The P20 will take it anyways in it’s stride either way, I’m sure! [Can’t wait for mine …]

That would be incorrect. Even their NC5xxMP use an SMPS.

https://www.hypex.nl/power-supplies/

https://www.hypex.nl/oem-audio-amplifiers/

That’s great. I see they still make most of their modules without power supplies but they do have power blocks with SMPS. Good to know for future projects. Thanks.

The P20 has made a significant improvement in my system in terms of lowering the noise floor thereby letting more details be heard. Makes the system sound more natural, more life like. Dynamics have increased as well and are seemingly unrestrained even with a DS DAC, DMP, BHK Pre, a pair of BHK 300s and a pair of 12” subs (each with 1000 wpc rms class D amps) plugged into it. It runs cooler than my P10 did with the same equipment connected. And, I am only using a 15 amp circuit. Very happy I traded up!

This is awesome to hear and we appreciate verifying what we too have heard here and are anxious to shout out to the world about it!

Hi Paul - Would the P12 be able to be used with a SS Power Amp? If so how would you recommend connecting it if the Amp is close to the Speakers and the source components are 15 or so feet away? Would put P12 on EQ rack. Would it be ok to use some sort of extension cord?

P12s can certainly be used with power amplifiers, but I wouldn’t go bigger than a couple of hundreds watts per channel. As far as distance it’s impedance that matters. When I am at a trade show, for example, I use a long input power cable and short output cables. This way we get the advantage of the Power Plant’s active impedance lowering and power delivered through short cables. If you do it the other way, short input cable and long output power cables, you compromise a bit. But, in the end, whichever way you go, you’re MUCH better off with a Power Plant in the system than not.

Thanks Paul - in my case the issue is powering my amp with p12 if the P12 sits near my source components. I’d plug all source components into P12 on the equipment rack but the power amp is on the other side of the room near the speakers. Since the amp will be around 15-20 feet from P12 not sure what the best way would be to connect amp to P12. Are there longer power cables available or maybe a well constructed extension cable you would recommend?

Paul, when using a power cable system made as a non detachable spider, so I have only one cable for the whole system to plug into a P20…would it be a disadvantage against having single power cables reaching the P20? Not sure if I asked this already…

Questions regarding the P20’s storage reservoir of electrical energy and how it “buffers” electricity, assuming that the AC source is rated at 15A. And exactly what 20A of AC power source means…

My experience having owned a variety of AC power cables from over the past few decades is that regardless of whether the AC cable is terminated with a 15A :open_mouth: or 20A :expressionless: AC female plug, the AC male plug which sticks into the AC wall duplex is typically 15A (anyways).

For reference, in my system (located in Hong Kong), my mains AC voltage is typically 225-230v, the micro circuit breaker on the dedicated line rated at 15A, and are wired from the utility provider in a “three phase” (with each of the three lines offset by 120 degrees from each other) configuration.

Do both the 15A and 20A AC input receptacles (only one of the two chosen at any one time, via the sliding door) on the back of the P20 ultimately connect to the same internal input circuitry? Are the choices of the receptacles (mostly) just cosmetic?

How does the P20’s performance specification differ between the usage of a 15A AC cable, or a “cosmetically” altered 20A AC cable, given a 15A wall duplex source? Logically-speaker, they should not differ, correct?

And it should follow that if the P20 was (somehow) fed with 20A of power, its output performance would improve exactly 33% from what is specified with 15A of power, correct?

And lastly, what does a 20A AC wall duplex source look like? Do they physically differ from the 15A AC wall duplex source? Please excuse my ignorance, as I’m from overseas and am therefore unfamiliar with the variations of the North American AC power sources / cabling.

As far as I know, the 15A/20A dual receptacle design is only on the US version P20. The UK/EU/AU 230V versions only have the one IEC input connector. So, I’m guessing the P20 you buy in HK only has the single IEC. And it is rated at 10A.

I stand to be corrected on that, of course, if that is not the case.

See image - the US/EX version is the one sold in HK, with the 15A/20A variable (sliding door) input

PS Audio are known to sometimes extend artistic license to product photos on the website…the HK market might have dual IEC, or it might not. I’ve never seen one. No doubt when Paul comes on here that aspect will be clarified.

You are exactly right. The input IEC is only the one on all models except the US and Japan which have the lower voltage.

Regardless of which IEC input is available on the P20 the insides connect to the same place internally.

The thing is all about power. In the US a 15 amp circuit can deliver about 1750 watts of power. In a 240 country, that number is doubled for the same 15 amp circuit. (Amps x volts = watts)

That is why in 240 volt countries there’s no need for a 20 amp connector.

Paul, thanks for the clarification and the explanation! :smile:

I’m looking forward to receiving my two P20s (as upgrades to my two P10s)in about a month ! :yum:

And I want to see the photos after installation…

My two black beasts have arrived in Hong Kong !
Only a teaser photo for now, as a key component (Aurender W20 music server) in my audio system is currently being repaired, so I don’t have any source (digital) files to listen to. I expect that within 10 days, this will be rectified. Interesting to note that the following words are silkscreened next to the AC input connector.

Input Ratings:
230V~ 50-60Hz
10A (2300VA) Max
45W Idle

On the PS Audio website specification page, the P20 is rated at 2000VA (for all models), and I thought I read on this Forum that its idling power consumption is only 35W. What accounts for the discrepancies?

1 Like