New P20 ..... more details please?

It was celebrated with a bottle of gin lol blush_gif

IMG_18801-2.JPG

Paul McGowan said They don't have handles and as I tried to mention, the case doesn't change at all. Only the internals. So they look identical. Long term I'd like to add handles to the P10 to match the 20.
Piffle the handles, what the P10/BHK needs is a retractable roller to get it in and out of a tight rack where I don't have to bust my back to get the Herbie's feet under the chassis. Right now I use a 7/8" aluminum dowel to roll the unit into place into the rack but then I have to lift each corner to get the Herbie's foot under that corner and then remove the dowel. So how about a retractable roller?

The use of a dowel is a superb idea.

Have you seen retractable rollers on other equipment? A neat concept. How would they be employed and retracted?

Elk said The use of a dowel is a superb idea. Have you seen retractable rollers on other equipment? A neat concept. How would they be employed and retracted?
Dowel is cheap. A bit ungainly, and cumbersome at times, but it works.

For the retractable, see McMaster-Carr and go to the ‘leveling casters’ There’s a thumb-drive unit that doesn’t need additional tools, but they are expensive at ~$23 each. Perhaps this could be an option that could be added to the chassis for those who want to put it in confined spaces?

–SSW

Neat. Clever device.

But at three+ inches high they would be a bit awkward. We would also want a way to remove them entirely as they are ungainly and many will want to put the unit on vibration control cones, etc.

I still think your dowel idea is the best. :slight_smile:

Schedule 40 PVC drain pipe (the thicker stuff) works too. Cheaper and available in a variety of sizes at your local home improvement store!

Elk said

The use of a dowel is a superb idea.

Have you seen retractable rollers on other equipment? A neat concept. How would they be employed and retracted?

Since you already use Herbie’s products, try his Iso-Cups (check in the Misc section on his website). I use the firm ones with either his Supersonic Hardball (not sure they are still available) or the lampblack balls with the elastic cup on top and the ball on the bottom. Then you can slide them around WITH CARE AND VERY SLOWLY! I still use a sturdy dowel or a carbon fiber tube (I build model airplanes, I have these around) to lift either the P10 or BHK-250 to put the feet under the unit. I put one at each corner right against the stock feet, move it into place, then use the dowel/tube to push another one under the transformer bolt (1 on the P10, 2 on the BHK-250).

My quick impression is that I prefer these to his Tenderfeet. Not sure why he has moved them to the misc section.

Greg in Mississippi

Streets Still Works said

Piffle the handles…

I have no idea what piffle means, but I agree with you. Doesn't matter however many bottles of gin, those P20 handles are just dog ugly.

Gregory, I’ve used the Herbie’s Audio Lab “Iso-Cups” as well, for a few years under all my components. I found the Deep Moss Quartz balls to be the best for my needs. When I bought my firs set of VooDoo Cable Iso-Pods though I eventually moved to those throughout the system. I have four under my P10. It’s not easy to get them there!

brodricj said
Streets Still Works said

Piffle the handles…

I have no idea what piffle means, but I agree with you. Doesn’t matter however many bottles of gin, those P20 handles are just dog ugly.

Most people, including me, love them. Differences of opinion I suppose.

Paul McGowan said

Thanks, Michael! There are a few P20s circling the globe to much fanfare and raves. Can’t wait to launch the website which should be this week.

check out the pair in Radar Audio’s showroom in Hong Kong.

I could be wrong, but as far as I know, that would be the first PS Audio anything to get a guernsey in the Radar Audio Causeway Bay showroom #1. To me that speaks volumes what Radar thinks of it. And for those not familiar with the speakers in that photo, they are Magico M6. $172,000 USD per pair, which they probably sell by the dozen in Hong Kong. Including the other hardware normally found in that room, a demo rig easily north of $1M. Now off to the Cathay Pacific website to buy a ticket to HK to hear that Magico/Ps Audio combo! Fair bet it is the only place in the world where you can do that.
brodricj said I have no idea what piffle means,
Actually, it is a word in the dictionary. . . .

…and so it is. And to think I thought I knew every word in the dictionary, I now know another.

Screen-Shot-2018-02-09-at-9.39.01-AM.png

I’m more intrigued by the use of the word guernsey in this context. I have a Guernsey sweater and am familiar with the island, but not “to get a guernsey.”

In the sporting context, you get a guernsey when you make the team…unless you’re a cricketer playing Test cricket for Australia, in which case you don’t get a guernsey, you get a baggy green.

Got it! This makes sense. Thanks, very interesting!

brodricj said

In the sporting context, you get a guernsey when you make the team…unless you’re a cricketer playing Test cricket for Australia, in which case you don’t get a guernsey, you get a baggy green.

Thank God. I though it involved a milk stool and pail…

The P20 looks good. IMO the handles are ok. Especially due to the needed functionality…

1 Like

Well, I’m glad those Magico M6 speakers seen next to the pair of P20 don’t have P20 similar handles on them…they weigh considerably more than P20 but don’t need handles, instead they use castors. P20 with handles is just different to everything else that’s come before it thus far in the otherwise gorgeous looking DirectStream product family chassis. The dowel work-around is a good idea. Many many years ago my dad and I used a dowel-like thingy to get a boat up and down the beach and into the water. It worked well, made an otherwise impossible task quite possible.

Perhaps PS Audio should make some loose handles that can be set at 250/300 like decorations. It looks a little strange with a P20 without lol