New PS Audio speakers?

Haters gonna hate.

3 Likes

I just don’t understand what would make a person judge something before they know anything about it, seems really strange to me.

These people must be missing out on some incredible experiences in life.

5 Likes

I’m assuming the sophistication is similar to the B&W if not less, it’s unlikely to be superior to the B&W. But I guess that’s TBD, so far no info is presented on the quality or craftsmanship of the FR30 cabinet.

I’m not sure how comparing two speakers a apple vs baseball? What would apple vs apple looks like then?

WOW!
Talk about being biased.

2 Likes

w/r/t comparing B&W to PS Audio at this point in their respective speaker manufacturing histories…

I was talking with consideration “w/r/t comparing B&W to PS Audio at this point in their respective speaker manufacturing histories…”

Again, why assume anything, to assume is showing quite a low level of intelligence.

And educated person would wait for 3rd party reviews before making any judgements.

1 Like

I was simply wondering the pricing difference in response to the BW build video. Review won’t help answer that as any educated person would know. But OK… no reason to argue. Noted.

Today being Martin Luther King Day here in the US, puts this statement into a much bigger perspective.

It’s sad to say, but this attitude has been pervasive in humans since we stood upright.

5 Likes

While normally I’d celebrate diversity in perspective, very often I’m left shaking my head.

1 Like

Hi all, I’ve enjoyed following the development and roll out of the new FR30s, but they are out of my price range, and way too big for my room. I seem to remember Paul having said that they were eventually going to release a full line of speakers. I assume these will be coming out 1 at a time, but I can’t seem to find any info on what the full line will eventually consist of, what models will be released in what order, or what the timeline for release is expected to be. Obviously supply chain issues are going to continue to have an unknown impact on timeline, but does anyone have any general info on this?
Maybe they’ll produce a smaller floor stander that I can justify coming up with the coin for!

The PSA lead speaker designer, Chris Brunhaver wrote this a few days ago:

4 Likes

Thanks for the direct quote from the source on that. Have there been any teases as to what those 5 models are going to be, what order they may come out in, and what the general timeline might be? I’m not in a rush for new speakers by any means, I have a couple of pairs I like, but really would like to step up in the next couple of years or so. It’s more curiosity than planning at this point.

1 Like

Dude assuming they won’t be as good as B&W is no more speculative than Elk assuming they’ll be amazing, as he’s mentioned several times. It’s actually less speculative because dude at least apparently believes the B&W are amazing and has heard them.

I’m not arguing one way or another just pointing out the double standard. For the record I do not think B&W are amazing

1 Like

I expect the speakers will be excellent, but we will not know one way or the other until they are out in the wild and we can actually listen to them. Nota bene, I am not prejudging the speakers without hearing them, I am only expressing what I anticipate.

Whether they will be “as good as B&W” will depend on whether you like B&W speakers and, for that matter, whether you like the Aspens.

9 Likes

About done with this thread.

People are just unreasonably nasty in arguing about something only two or three of the participants have heard.

It’s not unreasonable to expect the speakers will be good given the PS Audio track record. If they sounded bad, they’d be back to the drawing board because PS Audio doesn’t put out crap. Just breathe and stop with the negativity already.

Mike

13 Likes

Even some first person comments would be nice. Apparently at least one pair are on the way to the UK. I have no idea where they will be demonstrated. I’ve only just noticed there’s a PSA dealer in Ealing, not far from me. I got my PSA units from a dealer in Northampton.

My limited experience is if the room is half decent, you can get an idea of a speaker very quickly, reading specs won’t teach you much.

There are plenty of good speakers that sound completely different, it’s a matter of taste. I had a B&W owner round here a couple of weeks ago and he did not like my Wilson. Doesn’t make them bad speakers.

I think people are interested to know how they are voiced, their specific character. We all have our preferences.

Sure that’s fair. Similarly other guy saying he doesn’t expect they’d beat his favorite speaker shouldn’t be objectionable at this point. I don’t think either view is out of line or unduly biased. Time will tell.

From his point of view, it may be akin to saying “I don’t think that I’ll find the rookie QB coming into the NFL next year to be a better QB than Tom Brady (assuming he finds B&W to be the GOAT). Nothing wrong with that

I’m kind of surprised by the last day or so of posts… maybe I shouldn’t be. Here’s a bit of how I try to be nice to people in the Hifi world.

Bose owner: I love Bose!
Mr. ipeverywhere: Good! Keep buying Bose and only Bose. Don’t ever buy anything else. You’ll only ever be happy with Bose.
Bose owner: Why do you say that Mr. ipeverywhere?
Mr. ipeverywhere: Because the only thing that sounds like Bose is Bose. Real instruments don’t even sound like Bose which is why I don’t own Bose. But I’m not going to tell you that whatever is coming out of your Bose isn’t enjoyable to you. So, just keep buying it and listening to it if it makes you happy. But, just know, anything else won’t sound like Bose.

…and this little interaction could be said for just about any of the boutique but “buy anywhere” “audiophile” brands… except at a much less degree since they do strive to sound real and live (and some models within the range do a nice job of achieving this). But, honestly, what sets brands like Focal, B&W, Wilson, and others apart and why are these brands so polarizing? It’s because each has identified a house color which resonates with some and is fingernails on a chalkboard to others. You don’t generate a cult following if your sound isn’t unique. That isn’t bad. But it also means, for all that is holy, no other respectable manufacturer should be trying to duplicate that sound.

I assume PS has identified their own color. It took them far longer than they anticipated and it forced them back to the proverbial drawing board a few times. At one point, this color was to match the IRS. At this point, I suspect there are only little specks of the IRS color with most of the coloring coming from Chris’s own background. But what do I know? I’ve not heard the things. Maybe they have no color and will be the most dull but accurate reproduction tools the world has ever seen. No one knows this beyond a very select few who have yet to comment. My only hope is that they are unique and they offer something new without being so far from “accurate” they land in the Bose category. :open_mouth:

tl/dr: Wishing a new speaker sounds like another manufacturers speaker means you just need to go buy that other manufacturers speaker. It will save you a lot of time and disappointment not to mention getting you back to listening a lot faster which is the whole point of this hobby.

3 Likes