New PS Audio speakers?

Paul,

What kind of wire will be used between the binding posts and the non amplified drivers?
Are you specifying audiophile grade?
Thanks!

Haven’t yet decided. When we build the prototypes we’ll use our standard in house stranded copper. It’s quite excellent sounding.

The ANs might look nice with a fieldstone foundation. Stands the test of time ; )

1 Like

:joy: Perhaps some MA reclaimed fieldstone?

Nice Paul - More love from Denmark.:heartbeat::sunglasses::kissing_heart:

I hope that the An’s come sooner than later. I was just at the Toronto Audiofest and the Magico’s and Focal’s sounded pretty good to me. I’m getting itchy for a change. I also saw a P20 live, what a beast!!

@watchdog507 - Stereophile (Jim Austin) got the P20 “output impedance” spec wrong in recent review; s/b 5m ohms, not 49m ohms… however, was a really good review and it is a beast; I have it and it is amazing! Just picked up a Roon Nucleus+ w/ Sbooster (LPS), plugged into a P20 and the Sbooster is not even a tiny bit warm after 15hrs playing w/ DSP (parametric equalizer) engaged. The Sbooster is only 36 watts continuous, so I thought it would get a little toasty running that NUC 717 (Nucleus+); not so at all. Therefore, just ordered the “Ultra” active filtering upgrade (additional load) for the output of the Sbooster. It is so nice to have an ultra clean power sub-station next to your audiophile equipment. Also went AC15 power cords for everything. Low impedance, ultra clean power is a must!

I just watched your video about the development of the AC power cables. The idea that different wire geometry carries ranges of frequency better, makes me think you could follow the same strategy for the speaker internals. I’m guessing sub, mid, tweeter are wired in parallel to the binding post. This could support the preferred wire for each frequency/driver section. What do you normally see in high end speakers?

Hey Paul,

I’m really glad to hear, that you will be using room correction for the low end for AN1, AN2 and AN3. Will you use popular solutions like Dirac Live, miniDSP, Anthem’s ARC or Lyngdorf’s RoomPerfect? Or are you going to develop your very own solution?

I heard that you consider using room correction only for the subwoofers and not for the mid bass coupler. The mid bass coupler is supposed to be adjusted by a little dial on the back of the speaker, if I get it right. I think that complicates things again. Can’t the mid bass coupler also be adjusted via the room correction?

By the way: please please please let us use a decent microphone for the calibration. Not one of those 5 dollar crap microphones you sometimes see with cheaper room correction solutions. I don’t trust those :grinning:

We will be developing our own solution and for the woofers only, though on experimentation we may adjust the midbass coupler’s response, but it’s unlikely.

Our intent right now is to use a really crappy microphone, the one in your phone. At these frequenters lies and with EQ it shouldn’t matter. Intentions, however, aren’;t always valid once tried. We shall see. My hope is for convenience.

It was my understanding that even a $50 or $100 measurement mic was really not effective in measuring low frequencies. Just curious how the 20 cent mic in a phone can handle it. There are external mic add ons for iPhone. Wondering if that would be a better solution, or at least an option as well as a way to load a calibration file in case we want to send the mic away to be calibrated. Also iPad option might be good as well.

I have a better mic (150$) and compared it with the iPhone in low frequency.

The iPhone delivers less accurate, smaller levels in low bass. The question is, if it matters.
Fine tuning is done by ear anyway and important deviations can be caught by the iPhone as well. But if you need it exact, you need a different mic.

A 100$ mic wouldn’t add too much to a 20-70k speaker…but if it would experience the same calculation factor as other electronic parts used in manufacture, it could quickly go up to 600-1000$.

I think if PSA supplies a standard mic, this would mean hundreds less calls and postings. I’d do it.

It may or may not be possible. If we restrict it to one type of phone, say an iPhone, then the task is easy. We simply measure the response in the iPhone and EQ it. The trouble comes in when we try and use different phones.

Yes, that’s it. You would have to deal with Android and Apple owners and with different HW per manufacturer.

There are SPL meter apps for phones which take into account which phone they are on. One issue is a phone’s hardware often cannot handle over 90 dB SPL.

There similarly is a correction chart of the venerable RadioShack SPL meter.

It would be a tricky issue. Android phones are most common and they are many flavors. There are enough iPhone types to create a headache as well.

I suggest including an affordable measurement microphone and a program which will run on either a PC or Mac laptop which incorporates correction for the mic.

I think it’s even more important that there’s an iPad and Android Tablet app.

Tablet apps would also be appropriate.

Many have laptops however who do not have a tablet. The opposite may well be true as well.

I do not know the market penetration of laptops v. tablets. I see/know of a lot more people with laptops than tablets, but this is purely anecdotal.

Yes I agree

Great idea!

Paul, why now use the same type of mic that comes with the Denon, Marantz processors ( as an example)? Simple plug in, and press go.