Next Component for overall Improvement

Even though a regen does make a difference, I would go with a pre or power amp first, without ANY hesitation.

2 Likes

The P20 is the best upgrade in my system. The BHK 300ā€™s perform the best with the P20 along with all my digital sources. You may want to ask @luca.pelliccioli he has the p20 with the M1200ā€™s which are class D like the M700. But to answer the question IMO the P20 is a rock solid foundation and a must have for those who can afford it!!

5 Likes

I was using 2 P12s {EU models have only 4 outlets each) and the upgrade to 1 P20 feeding all the system has been remarkable. The sound became relaxed, controlled, less fatigue I didnā€™t perceive before to live with.

I bought together at the same time M1200s and BHK Pre, so I cannot answer to your question but I can say I went the regenerator route vs the BHK 300 upgrade a few months ago and Iā€™m very happy. I still enjoy the M1200s experiencing great improvements from different cables, tubes (telefunken/mazda NOS in ampli and gold lion in pre), fuses and so on. I didnā€™t miss them.
Itā€™s a sort of egg and chicken matter probably which one buy before the other, anyhow P20 and M1200s with the BHK Pre is a highly recommended combo IMHO. If you can afford all of three units scheduling steps in future I would suggest:
1 P20
2 BHK Pre
3 M1200s

Otherwise BHK Pre and M1200s together at the same time.

Room treatment, sources, cartridge and most of all speakers upgrades came repeatedly along my journey, this is the reason why I definitely stopped to follow the illusion to be at the end of my system. Itā€™s part of this hobby and Iā€™m afraid is not the cheaper way to relax and find joyful but I love it!

3 Likes

Iā€™d have to agree! The P20 wasnā€™t around when I went for power regeneration about 15 years ago. The concept was then new, to me at least, and I was sceptical until I did the A/B in the dealerā€™s store. The difference it made to the sound on the same system was revelatory.

I have 3 (older generation) P10s. One each for my monoblocks and the third one for DSDAC, X-SPDIF 2 and two subs. (The subs are 1000W D-class and arenā€™t a huge power draw.)

IMHO, next to room considerations, having a clean, prodigious power supply is the best thing you can do for your high-end system. :relaxed:

3 Likes

What type of sound change are you trying to achieve? I went with a 6sn7 tube preamp when I changed to a class A amp that was slightly bright sounding, it made all the difference, still had all the detail without the brightness.

1 Like

Iā€™m am seeking the holy grail that most want. Iā€™d like to see a wider and deeper soundstage aka that holographic feeling of being immersed in the music. Not gonna lie. I think Iā€™m pretty damn close. But you know how these things are. The last 10%ā€¦ā€¦

2 Likes

I used to have the SGCD in my system and traded out for a Holo Audio Serene KTE Pre. The difference is night and day. I have not heard the BHK Pre, so canā€™t comment how it compares.

1 Like

IMO the source is a huge component for that. Going from a LPS powered NUC to a purpose built passive with attention paid to low noise and rf/emi shielding and a quality USB card was pretty big, mind blowing, jaw dropping, etc.

1 Like