No Covert Art with New PS DirectStream w/Bridge II

Hi There!

Recently re-purchased the DS w/ Bridge II after moving on to a different DAC for over a year. Also Purchased a P5 as well to upgrade from the P3 I was using with the other DAC.

I got everything setup like i had it back in 2015/ Early 2016. SD Card in the back of the unit, the same one that came with the new DS. It’s not on locked.

All my settings are the same I saved in Jriver for Bridge II from before that worked perfect, cover art etc. I have tried resetting the bridge via the settings and also restarting the DS but I just can’t get the cover art to appear.

My music is all properly tagged in Jriver using the standard metadata formats. The music plays fine, with all the information coming in, just no art. Also tried putting the SD card on the computer, its blank, properly formatted in FAT32 no issues. There is no coverart jpeg file on there… could that be it?

On a side note about returning to the DS :

I am very happy to have the DS back in my system, the new Huron firmware certainty sounds like a noticeable upgrade to my ears from what I remembered Torreys and Yale in 2015/2016.

Missed the DLNA Streaming with the Bridge and I2S inputs, which my other DAC did not have. I was able to live with it because of how good the DAC over SPDIF was, it was a better than the DS but not night and day (guess I just wanted to try something else) … but as it burned in more and more over a year plus, the last 4 months in particular, the sound became increasingly digitalish and I just wasn’t enjoying my music anymore. It was time for a change.

And Having heard many DACs over the last 5-6 years, the DS just hits the sweet spot. And PS’s customer support and product philosophy is unparalleled, with you guys not charging major dollars with new products for negligible at best updates. The feature set of the DS, build and that it’s really 2 products in one with Bridge is just unlike anything else in the market.

Just want to get the cover art back!

Thanks for the help in advance!

Hey Emilsejr,

I just installed my DS DAC and Bridge II.

You just need to add an SD card to the back of the unit. Here is the article.

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/album-art-on-the-ds-touchscreen/

It works now!

Enjoy

Hi Veneet,

The SD card is plugged into the back of the unit correctly clicked in to place.

See my post. It’s what makes why it’s not coming on so strange. What else can I do?

Thanks!

I am so sorry, not sure how I missed all that info you put in your message, I was searching for the same issue when I saw your post.

My apologies, that post solved my issue. I think you are going to need more expertise than a guy who has had it for an hour!

Good luck

So I formatted the blank SD card that came with my DS to the standard FAT32 of any chance to see if that made a difference And then inserted a covert art 500x500 jpg called coverart.jpg. As I remember vaguely it’s the file the Bridge II makes on the SD card.

And it’s still not coming up. Short of reloading the firmware, which is Huron from the factory which I’d prefer not touch if possible, is there anything else that I may have missed in the troubleshooting? I’ve also reset the Bridge in settings as well.

Thanks in advance!

I don’t know what the problem is but creating your own covert file won’t help and might well confuse things. The DS/Bridge will create its own file if it is working properly. You said the card is correctly clicked into place so I assume you put it in with the gold contacts facing up. Can you try a different card (also reformatted and blank)?

Can I state a silly thing that happened to me? When I installed the bridge II and did the software update from the provided card with it, it knocked my firmware back to Yale! The video didn’t really say whether or not to do the install if your firmware was the latest or not, I assumed it was bridge specific.

So I am not sure if your Bridge was preinstalled, but if not it might be worth a look if you also used the card that came with the bridge II to update your DAC. Just a thought.

Yep, I know it’s supposed to. Thing is, it’s not even creating one when I pop out the card to view on the computer. So I deleted the file I created, reinserted gold pins up as always unlocked, clicked into place and still nothing unfortunately.

I remember the DS/Bridge being occasionally strange with the cover art but nothing like this where it’s just not even reading it at all.

I’ll have to see if I have another SD card laying around. Doubtful, using the blank 8GB SD Card that came with the unit.

if not I guess I’ll have to buy a new one at the store to try.

Thanks for the help! If you guys have any other suggestions let me know!

Veneet said

Can I state a silly thing that happened to me? When I installed the bridge II and did the software update from the provided card with it, it knocked my firmware back to Yale! The video didn’t really say whether or not to do the install if your firmware was the latest or not, I assumed it was bridge specific.

So I am not sure if your Bridge was preinstalled, but if not it might be worth a look if you also used the card that came with the bridge II to update your DAC. Just a thought.

Hi Veneet,

It is possible that you have an older SD Card with a copy of Yale installed. To get you the best resolution to your firmware issue and to resolve your artwork issue we recommend contacting us at service@psaudio.com.

Thanks,

-Jeremy

I don’t get any cover art displayed in Bridge II on DS Snr either. It displays fine in BubleUPnP and my Aurender app, and I have both front and back cover art embedded in all tracks. It doesn’t bother me very much, given the small size of the display. I thought it might perhaps work ok when the new update to Bridge eventually appears. There’s just a couple of jpg’s in folders that don’t display either - I generally avoid the use of folder jpg files to ensure the high quality embedded track cover art gets displayed.

panostar said

I don’t get any cover art displayed in Bridge II on DS Snr either. It displays fine in BubleUPnP and my Aurender app, and I have both front and back cover art embedded in all tracks. It doesn’t bother me very much, given the small size of the display. I thought it might perhaps work ok when the new update to Bridge eventually appears. There’s just a couple of jpg’s in folders that don’t display either - I generally avoid the use of folder jpg files to ensure the high quality embedded track cover art gets displayed.

Hello panostar,

Cover art is directly related to the user’s network setup and can be easily corrupted during transfer. Any such corruption will cause the process to abort without a re-transmission. Our advice is to ensure that you are not using a network firewall or anti virus software.

As well, it is a good idea to use an SD card no larger than 2Gb for those units with a Bootloader earlier than 1.13 and an SD card no larger than 32Gb for those DAC’s with a boot loader 1.13 or later. Format as a FAT32 file type and insert the SD card into the DAC pins up and unlocked.

For further assistance please reach out to us directly at service@psaudio.com

Thanks,

• Jeremy

Jeremy, Thanks for your response. I’m not using a firewall or anti virus software. I just have the DAC connected to a router along with the QNAP NAS running MinimServer. I’m not aware of any data corruption problems in the music playing, so corruption of each and every artwork tag in all music files seems unlikely to say the least. Maybe Bridge simply doesn’t support them. I don’t see the relevance of the SD card to any problems with cover art. The SD card is not actually in the DAC slot, having been removed after the system installation, and it’s size is in any case within the limits you quote.

I won’t progress this any further as is pointless when a new Bridge update is expected so soon.

John

The SD card has to be installed to get cover art using the Bridge (I or II). You can erase the card, or move the files on it into a folder, to prevent the DS from trying to load the system files (only should happen if the system on the card is different from the one that is installed).

Stevem2, Thanks. That was very helpful. Loading a blank SD card has resulted in the artwork now being displayed. I removed the SD card when I followed the instructions to do so on Page 7 of the Owner’s Reference manual in the Firmware Upgrade section.

John

Excellent! I seem to recall the manual causing that same confusion in the past. The card is not needed if you’re not using the Bridge but it is needed for cover art for Bridge users.

It still does not work.

I just opened up the brand new 4GB Sandisk SD cards I bought from the Store,

Thinking the 8GB might have been the issue that came with the unit. It’s formatted properly in FAT32, Gold Pins Up, Unlocked all the standard stuff.

The music plays fine, it’s just no cover art that’s bothering me. It can’t be network issues because I pinged the Bridge II’s IP address in my route control panel and here are the results :

Ping host or IP address :
Packets : 4/4 transmitted,4/4 received,0 % loss
Round Trip Time : Minimun = 0.8 ms Maximun = 0.9 ms Average = 0.8 ms

What else can I do?? Anybody from PS Audio have an idea?

Your help is very much appreciated!

emilsejr said

It still does not work.

I just opened up the brand new 4GB Sandisk SD cards I bought from the Store,

Thinking the 8GB might have been the issue that came with the unit. It’s formatted properly in FAT32, Gold Pins Up, Unlocked all the standard stuff.

The music plays fine, it’s just no cover art that’s bothering me. It can’t be network issues because I pinged the Bridge II’s IP address in my route control panel and here are the results :

Ping host or IP address :
Packets : 4/4 transmitted,4/4 received,0 % loss
Round Trip Time : Minimun = 0.8 ms Maximun = 0.9 ms Average = 0.8 ms

What else can I do?? Anybody from PS Audio have an idea?

Your help is very much appreciated!

Hello emilsejr,

We understand that this is frustrating for you and wish to help. It is very likely there is an issue somewhere in your LAN connection. That you can ping the Bridge does not confirm that the connection is stable enough to transmit the Artwork. Pinging an IP address simply sends and receives a set of packets. As aforementioned, the artwork can be easily corrupted while en route to the DAC. If this happens the process is aborted and the artwork is not displayed.

Please tell me your DAC’s boot-loader version. As well the serial number would be very helpful. You can message us at service@psaudio.com with this information.

Thanks in advance,

• Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you very much. Email sent!

FWIW, there are no playback issues including high file size DSD over the Bridge. My network is very stable with no issues with anything else. Hardware setup of my network is the same as 2015/2016 when I had the Bridge II and DS DAC with album art working.

Looking forward to getting the issue resolved, PS Audio’s support is excellent!