Noise using Schiit Loki between Stellar GCD and Stellar S300

I use a Schiit Loki EQ to adjust for my aging ears. I t works great. I had been using between TV and Pre amp with no problem. I would much prefer to put the Loki between Stellar GCD and S300 amp so I can use the much better DAC and use the EQ for ALL sources, not just TV. When I place the Loki between pre and power I get an annoying hum that is constant in volume (independent of volume control) and the hum is there even if I completely disconnect the Loki from the power supply. I have reached out to the Schiit guys and they think it may be specific to this pre-power combination. I am inclined to think they are correct since I have tried Loki with two other amplifier combinations without a problem. Any ideas would be welcomed.

1 Like

I have a couple of Schiit Loki’s,I have tried Them between my preamp and amps with no success it raise the noise floor however I find They work perfect between the sauce component and preamp combination only? my preamp and amps are PrimaLuna .

1 Like

I just tried some upgraded cables and it did help some. I may try some even better cables with better shielding.

Are all 3 components plugged into the same power/ground?

Is anything else plugged into the same as these 3? Have you tried removing each of them one by one and listen.

All three components are plugged into the same power outlet. But the hum is completely unaffected by plugging the Loki into power or removing the power.There are two stereo pairs of cables used to connect the equalizer.I connected a higher-quality pair of cables on the output side and it seem to help some.I ordered another pair of cables for the input side of the equalizer and hope that reduces the noise further.

Running my Bose Series 1 901’s, I used to have the Series 2 Analog EQ box (rebuilt by me) installed between the Preamp/Amp. But they have become unreliable and finicky lately so I bit the bullet and tried the Balanced 2x4 MiniDSP. Dialed in my own curve based to Frequency Sweeps I measured. Sounds as good if not better than the Original Boxes. It has an I2S output that I plan to use with my SGCD’s I2S input. Working with both PS Audio & MiniDSP folks on a solid solution.

As to the hum. I experienced it only with the Analog EQ’s it was subtle (yet on quiet passages, it was there). Bypassing them, the hum was gone. No hum with the MiniDSP boxes either.

1 Like

Hello,
Did you solve the problem with hum generated by the Loki? I have the Stellar S300 and am using the Loki in a tape loop on my Arcam A18 (used as a preamp) and It works just fine without any noise. I am interested in getting a PS Audio preamp to match the power amp. However, it does not have provisions for a tape loop so I would have to use it between the preamp and amp. Hence the question.
Thanks for any advice,
Harry

I was able to minimize the noise by placing the Loki a foot or so away from PS Audio stack but not completely eliminate. I have since gotten some excellent hearing aids and don’t use the EQ as much any more. There is that disadvantage in having DAC and preamp on the same chassis.
John

John,
A couple of further questions if you don"t mind.
Did you only notice the hum when using the DAC? I mainly listen to vinyl using an separate phono preamp, so would not be using the DAC that much. Or is the hum there even if there is no source selected or connected?
Thanks again,
Harry

Harry,
I don’t think the issue is related to which input you use analog or digital. Is your phono preamp going through the PS Audio pre amp or feeding the power amp directly? If going through the PS Audio the noise would still be there. I will say that if you use good cables and place the Loki far enough away the noise is very minimal.
John

Harry,
It just occurred to me that if you mainly listen to vinyl you could place the Loki between the phono preamp and the Stellar GCD and completely avoid the problem.
John

John,
Thanks for all the advice. I will do some more research before buying the PS preamp. I guess I should ask if you are happy with the PS combination apart from the Loki issue.
Harry

Harry,
I am very happy with the gear. $2800 for the pre and power amps. Hard to beat.
John

1 Like

John,
Thanks,
Harry

John,
Just FYI, I did get the PS Audio Stellar Pre-amp and am very happy with it in combination with the Stellar 300 Amp. I did put the Loki between the pre-amp and the amp and did not get any noise what so ever. However, I am noticing that I am using it less and less and may remove it from the system. Maybe my previous pre-amp accentuated the high frequencies and gave some of my source recordings the edge I did not like.
Take care and stay safe,
Harry

Harry,
I was just thinking about the Loki yesterday. I could use a switch to change from balanced XLR to single ended RCA between pre and power. Then I could put the Loki in the single ended circuit and avoid any noise at all when not using EQ. The only down side is not having EQ for headphone use.
Hunkering down in MN.
John