NPC Firmware

Has there been an update since original issue ? I see there are a .44 and .46 USB, not sure what they are .

That would depend on when you got your NPC. .46 USB is the latest version and is an update from the earliest version (I think .44 is too but it might be the original version). I believe .46 was to improve/fix double rate DSD recording.

stevem2 said That would depend on when you got your NPC. .46 USB is the latest version and is an update from the earliest version (I think .44 is too but it might be the original version). I believe .46 was to improve/fix double rate DSD recording.
Thks, do you know if I can chk this on the UI ? Since mine was early I prob have .44.

rogerdn said
stevem2 said That would depend on when you got your NPC. .46 USB is the latest version and is an update from the earliest version (I think .44 is too but it might be the original version). I believe .46 was to improve/fix double rate DSD recording.

Thks, do you know if I can chk this on the UI ? Since mine was early I prob have .44.

Press one of the buttons to the left of the display to wake it up, then a press of the bottom left button (or a bunch of presses of the top left button) will get you to the version screen.

Ted, I tried an install of .46 (assuming this is more current than the 0.44) , the display shows ‘Main 0.42’, but it only blinked a few seconds, can you tell me if I have the latest ? Like a dummy I forgot what it was before nospeak_gif.

rogerdn said Ted, I tried an install of .46 (assuming this is more current than the 0.44) , the display shows 'Main 0.42', but it only blinked a few seconds, can you tell me if I have the latest ? Like a dummy I forgot what it was before nospeak_gif.
Sorry I can't be of much help. I got a water damaged NPC for DS testing purposes but I don't really know any more about it than the manual.

Still 0.42 isn’t the latest: are you sure you didn’t see 0.47? I have 0.47 but I don’t know if it’s officially released or not. If it is you may have it…

Alex at PSA sent me the latest, .48 which does not seem to be on the download page.

rogerdn said Ted, I tried an install of .46 (assuming this is more current than the 0.44) , the display shows 'Main 0.42', but it only blinked a few seconds, can you tell me if I have the latest ? Like a dummy I forgot what it was before nospeak_gif.
I have one of the first batch NPCs as well. I won't be home until 5:00 PM PST, but will look and post what I see if no one answers before hand.

I hope a new firmware corrects 2XDSD as I’ve noticed my NPC configured as such and connected to the DS through I2S…the DS always shows it’s receiving DSD64. Same as when the NPC is configured to output single DSD.

Paul, I have been holding off posting on this for a couple weeks now thinking the best place for it. Should the NPC have it’s own forum area for information and discussions?

T

tpauline said

I have one of the first batch NPCs as well. I won’t be home until 5:00 PM PST, but will look and post what I see if no one answers before hand.

I hope a new firmware corrects 2XDSD as I’ve noticed my NPC configured as such and connected to the DS through I2S…the DS always shows it’s receiving DSD64. Same as when the NPC is configured to output single DSD.

Paul, I have been holding off posting on this for a couple weeks now thinking the best place for it. Should the NPC have it’s own forum area for information and discussions?

T

My main use of the NPC is to test the DSD over I2S inputs to the DS. I don’t remember exactly which version but there were problems with earlier software versions of the NPC, and 0.47 does the right things. I.e. I test every output format on the NPC and make sure the DS says the same thing with each release of the DS software.

tpauline said

Should the NPC have it’s own forum area for information and discussions

I was going to make the same suggestion. I have been thinking about updating the NPC firmware too.

I think .46 fixed the double rate DSD problem. My DS shows it as playing when the NPC is set to that.

stevem2 said I think .46 fixed the double rate DSD problem. My DS shows it as playing when the NPC is set to that.
Anyone know what .48 did ?

Sorry, but I got back much later then expected last night.

Here are the versions my NPC came with:

MAIN: 00.42 CPLD: 01.07 USB: 00.15 BOOT:01.09

T

rogerdn said
stevem2 said I think .46 fixed the double rate DSD problem. My DS shows it as playing when the NPC is set to that.

Anyone know what .48 did ?

SPDIF DOP issue fixed.
Fixed sample rate 176.4 when switching between pcm/DSD
CPLD change to CPLD0017.hex - 12-066-06-1-FPL-08.hex Swapped channels on DOP

Fixed bug on PCM screen with USB enabled and not connected, screen blinks between connected and not
Bit depth chanes when cycling through menu – USB enabled and not connected

.46 seems to be the last version posted in the downloads section. Can we please get .48 (and in a form that will work with early NPC’s with the old boot loader)?

Ok, .48 for the NPC is up in Downloads.

Thank you for posting this, Paul. As Steve mentioned – will this one work with very early NPCs, like the one I own?

You bet. They’re all the same.

It worked for me. Used an 8GB FAT 32 stick. There were problems with prior updates with early NPCs due to the boot loader on those units (which Dennis told me was not field upgradeable). Dennis found a workaround. 77_gifhappy-048_gif

Thanks to Dennis – I just upgraded to .48 on my early production NPC.