NPC front panel will not light up

I’ve been using my NPC exclusively to play vinyl for the past few months and therefore have not needed to change any settings. Now I want to rip some old cassette tapes, so I need to access the settings through the front panel. Touching any button on the panel should cause the display to light up. But this does not happen. There is definitely power to the unit. I tried rebooting and the front panel flashed briefly, so I know that it is not completely fried. But then it went dark and will not respond to the buttons. Suggestions?

One observation: since getting my BHK preamp and DMP transport, I have been using the remote to take the system into standby mode and wake it up. I have noticed that the remote also affects the NPC in some way. The blue logo illuminates when I press ‘on’ on the remote, which I don’t recall seeing previously. I wonder if using the remote may have confused the NPC somehow.

You can turn the NPC display and the blue PSA light off using the DSD/DMP/BHK remotes by holding the remote near the NPC and pressing Off. On my NPC, you can usually undo this by pressing the panel buttons. I just checked to see if toggling the rear power returns the display and PSA button to normal and it does. It sounds like your NPC may be a little grumpy. I’d try unplugging it for at least a few hours (and remove the interconnects, too) and see if a little time off cures it. You might also try reflashing the F/W.

Peanut Butter said You can turn the NPC display and the blue PSA light off using the DSD/DMP/BHK remotes by holding the remote near the NPC and pressing Off.
Thank you, PB. In my system the remote affects the NPC (as well as the DMP/DSD/BHK pre) from my several feel away, even when held at an angle. I find this strange since I didn't think the NPC has an IR sensor, but now at least I know it happens to other people (well, you anyway). I thought the NPC was meant to be left on, with blue logo illuminated, all the time. Turning it off with the remote does not really seem to turn it off, though, since the back half (where the transformer is, I assume) stays warm. Having the light go off when in standby is consistent with the behavior of other PSA components, although it is not what's stated in the manual. Maybe one of the PSA guys can clarify this.
On my NPC, you can usually undo this by pressing the panel buttons.
Useful to know; I never tried pressing a panel button immediately after turning the system off with the remote.
I just checked to see if toggling the rear power returns the display and PSA button to normal and it does.
That's what I would expect, so something is fishy with mine.
It sounds like your NPC may be a little grumpy. I'd try unplugging it for at least a few hours (and remove the interconnects, too) and see if a little time off cures it. You might also try reflashing the F/W.
I will try this.

My experience is similar to Peanut Butter’s. It seemed kind of funny when I first discovered the PWD remote would also turn off the display on the NPC since the latter did not come with a remote. My guess is that it has an IR sensor but no idea why. PB’s suggestions are a good place to start. If that doesn’t work, call PSA.

What’s funny about “turning the NPC off” with the remote is all that happens (or so it appears) is the blue logo goes off. The unit continues to operate normally - just no light.

The phono preamp section on the BHK/DMP remote has four buttons that kind of toggle some of the settings on the NPC. By “kind of,” I mean you’ll probably need to use the front panel buttons to undo whatever you screw up with the remote.

Peanut Butter said What's funny about "turning the NPC off" with the remote is all that happens (or so it appears) is the blue logo goes off. The unit continues to operate normally - just no light.
Actually, I think this is consistent with the way other PSA gear operates. It kind of bothers me that pressing the "off" button does not actually turn the unit off; it turns off the display, the tubes, and the logo. I understand the logic of keeping the innards warmed up for best sound quality. But it's kind of false advertising, since a lot of power is still being consumed – particularly with the power amps. Since the NPC has no display or tubes, just the logo goes off.
The phono preamp section on the BHK/DMP remote has four buttons that kind of toggle some of the settings on the NPC.
It kind of looks as if those buttons were designed for the NPC, since the forthcoming BHK phono stage won't need to toggle between phono and analog inputs.

Bottom line: an hour’s rest and installing the latest firmware did not solve my problem. Still no front panel lights. So I will make a call to Boulder tomorrow.

Sorry to hear this. Let us know how it turns out.

Update: I spoke Wednesday PM with James at PSA support. He tried to help but didn’t have an immediate solution. We agreed that I should try the factory reset button, which didn’t change anything.

Before packing up the unit for a trip to Boulder, I decided to try a longer period of ‘rest’ for the NPC. I unplugged all cables and let it sit for about 20 hours. An hour ago I plugged it back in and all seems well. confused-28_gif I don’t know whether it just needed a break (hey, we all do sometimes) or if the updated firmware helped, or the combination of the two. Hopefully the NPC will remain in a good frame of mind for some time now.