NPC mono setting, what does it do exactly?

I am wondering what the NPC is doing when I choose ‘mono’?

I have a mono LP (well, lots of them actually)
I have a mono cartridge (Ortofon Quintet Mono)
If I want to record and capture this, Izotope (and other software packages) allows me to record either stereo or mono.
I realize my resulting file will be one or two channel, half or double the size, depending on this choice.

What I do not know for sure is, when I set the NPC to mono, is it selecting one or the other channel, as there are still 2 connections?
What is being fed down the wire to my capture software, so to speak? If I choose ‘stereo’ to capture, I am getting a recording with two channels, but are they summed, what is my capture software really seeing from the NPC? Or if I set both to mono for that matter?

I just want to figure out the best way to capture and replay these albums, and figure that understanding what the NPC is doing based on that setting my help drive other decisions in the process.

Thanks,

Bill

It is actually combining, properly, the left and right channels into one monaural signal.

I have only a few mono albums and so never invested in a mono cartridge. If I rip these albums using the NPC’s mono setting, is that the same as playing them back with a mono cartridge? Or would having a proper cartridge provide some extra benefit? (Sorry for silly question – I am just old enough that I bought almost entirely stereo records and never got seriously into the earlier stuff.)

Not quite the same but certainly a lot closer. It’s what I would do.

Paul McGowan said It is actually combining, properly, the left and right channels into one monaural signal.
So, is there any point in using it if the LP is already a mono pressing? I am just trying to figure out what is beneficial vs redundant? Thanks!

bh80230 said
Paul McGowan said It is actually combining, properly, the left and right channels into one monaural signal.
So, is there any point in using it if the LP is already a mono pressing? I am just trying to figure out what is beneficial vs redundant? Thanks!
You should hear an overall reduction in noise (the noise will still be there, it will just be a lower level relative to the music).