NuWave Dac split USB power and data question...

Please see next post… Had to delete this one for being too vague.

sorry_gif

Would only connecting the Data leg of a dual legged USB cable (one for power -one leg for data) have any detrimental effect on the NuWave DAC? Only connecting the Data side?

Look here, please… this is what I mean.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/images/pgusbxl_hand.jpg

thanks… Gene

You’re asking if you can disconnect the 5V bus from the NuWave? I think it can tolerate that, have to check if that’s the question.,

Yes! The power carrying leg of the USB cable can be disconnected. This USB cable has two cable legs leaving the PC. Having two USB plugs that go into the PC and joined in one USB “B” end that goes into the DAC. Its designed that way to keep the noise interference between power and data at a minimum. I must admit this is the best sounding USB cable I have tried.

I was told that DAC’s not implementing the power from the PC’s USB can leave the power leg disconnected. The only leg of the cable needed then would be the Data carrier. But, no specific DACs were mentioned.

Does the NuWave DAC depend on the 5v signal for anything? I have booted up without the Power leg connected, and the source is found by the NWD. Sounds good, too. Just want to know if it needs the 5v run for any reason.

I would just as soon leave it off. But… One never knows unless one seeks the answer from those who know how it was designed. There is always something possibly that I feel I should not assume about.

Thank you, sir!

Paul McGowan said

You’re asking if you can disconnect the 5V bus from the NuWave? I think it can tolerate that, have to check if that’s the question.,

I am thinking of getting the Intona USB isolator.... I will not be able to use my high-end split USB cable, if the NuWave needs to see the 5V bus to handshake with the PC.