NuWave NPC Analog input not working

I’m trying a friend’s phono preamp out and wanted to rip a couple records and compare with the NPC but no matter what I do, I can’t get the analog input to work. I’ve tried using other sources and to no avail. I’ve switched to “analog” and even tried disabling USB and switched back and forth from PCM ot DSD for kicks. I’m getting no output at all using the “analog in” input. I’m very familiar with this unit and don’t think this is user error. I’ve never tried doing this, though. Any suggestions?

Adam

For ripping LPs, you want the Phono input not the Analog input, IIRC.

I know that and use that functionality all the time while ripping LPs using the NPC as phono preamp. Have recorded over 100+ LP that way. I was also trying to use another phono pre and run it through the analog in of the NPC, not only so I could easily connect to an analog in and listen to the other phono preamp (my preamp is hard to get to), but also to rip LPs through the analog in using the ACD on the NPC, which I think should work. I get nothing. Anyone else with this problem?

It is probably something basic being overlooked.

You indicate you have chosen the correct input and also the correct digital output type. I suggest checking to make sure the PCM bit rate and depth matches what the recording equipment expects to see, and make sure the recording unit is set to match the NPC’s output.

Sorry, I didn’t understand that you were plugging a different phono preamp into the NPC.

So after messing with things for a while, it works. Sometimes. Even when the sampling and bits are matched up in my Mac and NPC, it gives squirrely digital hash sounding output on occasion. I’ll reboot the NPC and all is well for a while, until it isn’t. Then reboot. Sometimes switching the USB off and on resets things. It’s also a little strange with my PC. And why is it that the NPC won’t output analog out to the preamp when there is an analog in? It would be nice to be able to monitor what you are recording. A little frustrating, to say the least.

amgradmd said

And why is it that the NPC won’t output analog out to the preamp when there is an analog in? It would be nice to be able to monitor what you are recording.

Someone else asked about this a while back, I recall. It’s a feature, not a bug. Paul said that they didn’t anticipate that people would want the analog out from an ADC (except, of course, when using the phono preamp function).

What software are you using to record? With VInyl Studio, which I use, you can monitor the recording.

Yeah, I use Vinyl Studio and it’s fantastic. To get it to monitor the recording is another couple steps I rather not do every time. That includes setting Mac Mini to HDMI audio out and selecting my preamp in addition to the other things needed to do vinyl rips. A bit of a hassle and I was hoping I wouldn’t have to do all that. I guess I’ll just accept the functionality as it is. Oh well.