P15: Analog or Digital?

For some component grounding, I’m thinking of using something like a Puritan City or Russ Andrews plug-in RF router, with a cable from the router to the open ethernet port on the P15. Since digital and analog circuits are best kept separate, my question is, Which is the P15 considered for this purpose, digital or analog?

Other than Amazon or one of the mass cable companies, anyone know of anyone selling (supposedly) audiophile quality C13 female to NEMA 15-P male AC adapters?

In doing a search, I noticed that the P5 manual said to not mix analog and digital equipment in the same Zone. Does that apply to the P15? The manual doesn’t say anything about it. Thanks,

I can provide a little bit of information most tend to miss regarding Puritan City.

The Puritan grounding “realization” that Puritan keeps in mind when designs their products is that…

Grounding gets a much better effect if the following is done at the same time

• star earth
  • signal grounding (not chassi grounding)
  • connected to the same star earth, but NOT in the power conditioners output….

This means that Puritan says that you shall use the same “out of wall socket” for both grounding and stereo (with power cleaning) but you must be able to connect the grounding device (like Puritan City) between the power conditioner and the wall socket.

Clarification
The grounding effect gets stronger if the City is not placed in the power cleaning unit. It must still be a star earth system

I’ve never heard any other manufacturers saying the same as clearly stated but the message have been delivered indirectly if you analyze the testing of different ways of connecting grounding devices

Using grounding sticks such as Chord GroundAray or a grounding-box such as Entreq will of cause change things as they are not connected to safty earth.

So how does one use Puritan City for chassi grounding?

1 Like

Best to separate them as well, though the bigger the Power Plant the less it matters. This is because the impedance goes down dramatically with each bigger model.

Thanks. What I’m really aiming to find out here is whether to consider the P15 as digital or analog, so I know what my options will be along the way.

I’ve been messaging in detail for the past several days with someone on WBF who has three Puritan City units and we’ve covered much of what you’ve raised, and a lot more. I have not decided whether to go with Puritan or Russ Andrews plug-in units, but will go with the latter’s better grounding cables, which my advisor says are a bit better than the Puritan’s.

If you mean by “star earth” an outside buried rod, that’s not in the cards. If you mean Puritan’s Routemaster, which has star wiring, since digital and analog should be separate, it’s much less costly and perhaps easier to use plug-ins.

He was told that the plug-in units should not go into the same electrical circuit as the audio unit. For this reason, he’s used long ground cables to reach an outlet 8’ away, while I’m going to use a grounded power strip that has a long cord, so the ground cables can be short.

My collaborator said to use signal grounds which is part of why I asked here about the P15, which has an open ethernet port (I’ll be using RCA connectors elsewhere). He found little or no sonic benefit from chassis grounds (chassis grounds work the same with the City; one just uses a spade under the chassis screw, scraping off the paint underneath if needed).

A good resource on the whole subject is Russ Andrews’ guide at System Grounding | Power | Russ Andrews Accessories Ltd The only caveat is that his examples of possible hook-up patterns don’t include the presence of analog/tube gear.

Thanks. I hadn’t paid attention to that. So for the purpose of grounding (using the ethernet port) and for my knowledge, is the P15 considered digital or analog?

Analog and very much so.

The P15 is 100% (well, 99%) analog in every way. In fact, the only thing “digital” is that we generate the perfect output sinewave reference digitally in a high performance D/A converter, but that’s kind of irrelevant. No, the amps inside and the power supply is very much Class AB analog.

2 Likes

Thanks!