P20 & P15 Regenerator Performance Tweaks and Digital Stream Enhancements, plus BHK Preamp

I added P15 to the title of this thread to capture your discovery of the optimum placement of AB7050HF eMI and RF absorber so the community members wishing to implement has a resource that eliminates trial and error and can optimize their regenerator quickly.

Good Idea!

So, I decided to cut the 8X3.75 into two and uses the 4.5x3.75. My final layout is laying the 4.5x3.75 on top at the middle with short side against the front edge. The 1.75 piece is on the right front next to the middle piece.

This layout is, in my system, close to optimal for P15, and I do not have bigger piece to try because the original sheet was cut into pieces now, and I would love to know what others think.

3 Likes

Cutting them in rectangles makes sense. Then the tape adhesive is on the correct side should you decide to stick it to the under side of lid otherwise one piece in irregular polygon one would have to cut with peel back cover side up.

When my Dragon is here, it is time to do some exercise to move P15 out of the rack. I need to stick them under so my wife know I am done with this!

1 Like

Oh she already knows you are never done by now and she has likely accepted your hobby as what you need to do to give her peace. Lol

1 Like

Our audiophiles do have that problem…… :joy:

May I ask where one can buy the material needed to try the tweak suggested in this thread? I tried amazon and they are out of stock. If you could also list the approximate price that would be great, too. I have a P3, so I’m also curious if this tweak would work for me.

Thanks!

1 Like

Making sure I have this right. My sheet came in today. Gonna experiment tonight.

8”x1.75” on front panel. directly above the display screen
4.5”x3.75” on top panel. In the center with longest side from front to back.

Right, but 8x1.75 would be too long. But I have not cut it yet. Now you have a virgin sheet, you can try different sizes see if you like it better. I just run out of material.

2 Likes

Digi-Key and Mouser carry it. Given the success with P15 and P20 the P3 is fair game if it has a toroidal power supply. It is about 80 dollars a sheet.

I’d start with a piece rectangle covering the bottom area shown in the photo.

A triangle covering wire inputs and half the torroid might work better with the vertex of 90 degree triangle at the transformer wiring spot. Then With a smaller rectangle above the ribbon cable based on success so far with P20 and P15.

1 Like

Mouser is asking about $20 more than Digi-Key’s $80 per sheet so I ordered mine from Digi-Key…

2 Likes

Can you post the item number, please?

3M7050F-ND‎ Is the Dig-iKey item number I believe.

3M ‎AB7050HF‎ RF ABSORB SHEET 11.693"X8.268" is the product.

1 Like

Thanks, Andy!

The interesting thing of this 3M absorber mod is that it makes Tidal compete with Qobuz sound. I presume it is because of the clarity increased in the HF. Plus the Tidal sloppy bass is more defined. The two services were miles apart but now Tidal has a bit of a romantic rich bass Qobuz is still cleaner but it makes Tidal sound closer to analog source.

Anyone else with the mod notice it?

AB7050, 3M AB7050 in Stock available. Buy AB7050 with best price at Component-Mart.hk
US$27.83 for a single sheet, but one needs to check shipping costs from HK!
Edit: These folks have not responded to my inquiries, so I ordered 3M AB7050 HF from Digi-Key.

2 Likes

Vmax … a bit confusing with all the various trials listed up above, using two pieces of material.
Have I jumped the gun with my single piece of 8 by 3.5 inches tucked underneath in the middle of the front edge of the P20 lid?

@sheridd2
Those are all for different designs of regenerators. I have not altered from the basic swhere you placed in the P20. The P15 has different sized transformer and display. As long as you like the sound and it is better than before. One cannot call it wrong. I have second guessed it many times but keep coming back to positioning you like also. Because different recordings are done in various formats not all music will sound the same. Just ask yourself if it is better than before. Lower noise floor helps one distinguish recording styles and EQs the recording engineer selected. Most are far from perfect but still enjoyable. The best ones are truly superb I have found with the absorber. One still has to adjust preamp volumes for the compression or dynamic ranges some engineers selected, I have found, unless I am low level listening, then nearly all always sounds superb.

Yes, I’m very happy with the sound from the P20 with the absorber in place.
But this is why we’re audiophiles, we’re always searching for something better.

1 Like

It is called the curse of the new normal. You make it awesomely better than before. Then after a few weeks start scratching and searching for just a little more.

That is when you need to not listen and come back to it to feel just how musical or magical it is. Either that put in some ear buds or go to a hifi store to readjust your microscopic paradigm of performance perfection. Then the light comes on as just how much we have perfected.

I had to go to an ultra high end HiFi store to regain perspective of what level I had tweaked my system to and listen to systems costing ten times as much and mostly hearing flaws I had already resolved with my set up. Would I die for a chance to tweak that gear. You bet!

1 Like