P20 & P15 Regenerator Performance Tweaks and Digital Stream Enhancements, plus BHK Preamp

Vmax … another UK P20 user here.
I went with your measurements and installed underneath my P20 lid last Friday, kind of wondering now whether I’m getting the best out of the tweak as, from above, the wiring within US and UK models may be different?

1 Like

I would think the transformer wiring is the same as is the display. The other user used different width. There is also a chance what he is hearing is lower noise floor equating to needing to move speaker positioning where midd bass prior was keyed with a fuller sound based on noise adding that. A lot of Direct Stream DAC firmware changes have caused users to realign speakers.

It is not uncommon to have to do that with tweaks I found my new AQ Dragon Power cable the SR purple fuse that dropped noise floor required me to move speakers . A little tweak and all was back fine. I wouldn’t sweat it if you like your sound. I doubt the UK wiring is the sound change the other user dislikes. It is AC and still alternates. The transformer is feeding DC after all to the P20 which is a AMP. And a DAC.

I installed absorber under the lid yesterday and simply love it even more. I included my photos.

My gift fuse arrived today. Unfortunately I am away for a few days. Hmmmm.

4 Likes

To confirm, it was only the depth, reduced by 0.1” to the value of 3.6” that you posted in a later post from your earlier post of 3.75”

@chris5 I searched all the posts in this topic. None of mine state 3.6. The key is lining up the edge of 3.75 width near center point of the toroidal transformer and longer side centered to P20 display. Then extending forward to forward edge of P20 so it completely covers half of transformer and extends to display. I cut mine at 3.75 width by about 8 inch length. I placed that under lid overlapping cover bonding plate so edge of sheet is at inside edge of P20’s front. That’s what I liked for best sound in my system since it delivers most spatial cues and clarity to my ears and in my system.

I did try varying sheet lengths 8.25 to 7.75 same width, length centered over the display. The longer sounds fatter and narrower length sharper and more focused. Thus going to 3.6 width may change your sound to something sounding different to 3.75 width.

Is there some other location or lengths or widths that sound better or worse in there systems? Most likely. Tenths of inch placement or width or length differences sound different in mine.

1 Like

Fed Ex finally delivered my absorber. By golly, this thing actually works!! My brother is here today and this is what he said. “The sound is muddier without the sheet!!” Not a real huge big difference, but you really can feel a bit more impact on the music with the sheet in place. @Vmax, you really got something going here!!

4 Likes

@waymanchen11 Glad it is working! Your system is pretty tweaked. It is amazing it can get it even clearer. Play with the positioning some more and play some live stuff, piano, or something old vocals you know really well with and without it in the best position.

Also trim it and place under the lid like I did. I am still making discoveries with what it does.

I played an Old Rhino Record Peter Paul and Mary album. So amazing, as is The Beatles, Neal Young Blonde on Blonde, Frank Sinatra you name it those old recordings come alive!

1 Like

I am ready for the permanent move soon. This weekend I will remove the top lid of P15 and install the L absorber underneath. I have not changed the location for a week and I like what I hear. It’s will be great if the sound will improve more.

1 Like

We waited this long, I guess we’ll just have to wait a few days more. It’ll be finally very interesting to hear your thoughts on this one.

4 Likes

I am interested if you think it sounds better under the lid. A week in same place will give you a good auditory memory.

I’ve ordered a sheet for my P10, we’ll see if it makes a difference. My system sounds pretty good at this point.

2 Likes

It will be interesting what position works best to locate it. Should contribute if you account for the half of transformer where wires connect to place absorber

Curious @Vmax: Why is not a “no-brainer” to cover the entire toroidal transformer as well as the point where the wires connect to the transformer?

TIA.

What wrap did you use?

@scotte1 Perhaps that would work. I did that with the analog board output transformers in my DS DAC. That 3M absorber i used for that had a foil shielding layer and was thinner and easier to wrap.

This 3M. AB7050HF has no foil shield layer and is thickest they make. Plus was a leftover from my DS DAC project. This tweak was an exploration to use that up AlsoI found it to be most effective covering only half the toroidal area. More coverage less clarity.researching the physics and the Lenz Law it appears if you affect EMF on one side by drawing it up the where opposite side wants to stay in balance. Perhaps it affects voltage output? I stumbled across it does affect sound. Plus it also absorbs RF noise from P20 display along with toroidal EMF.

1 Like

That’s interesting…

I just used Aluminum foil after hearing that Garth Powell used it for his Dragon Power Cable prototypes. I am letting it drain RF back through power connector shield yes it had a positive effect. Shielding can raise capacitance i may try a better copper foil. It was a quick experiment.

1 Like

I was considering copper foil as well. When I worked in a lab at Hughes the underside of our raised floors were covered in copper foil. Today it would be a crackhead’s dream come true. The room was 10,000 sqft.

1 Like

I ordered 3M7050F-ND one hour ago from Digi-Key and just got the shiped notification.

Now that’s customer service or someone working out of their garage with no life.

Digi-key and mouser are amazingly both fast. Their bread and butter is need it now electronic manufacturers.

2 Likes