P20 & P15 Regenerator Performance Tweaks and Digital Stream Enhancements, plus BHK Preamp

Thanks for that. But how does it improve the sound quality of the P20 or any device that the sheet is attached to?

Yes it converts radiated energy created inside P20 from digital components into heat stopping it from reflecting or bouncing around and being picked up snd transmitted in the power lines flowing out of P20.

The P20 is a D class amp and DAC with FPGA both can have high frequency emissions as well as the display.

2 Likes

Thanks for the additional information/reply…appreciate you taking the time to get into all of the details with this tweak.

Regards.

1 Like

It is lowering the noise floor inherent in the power lines and allows the low level spatial details, or vocal inflections, string vibration, the extra ring you hear with a bell in your hand, flex of the drum head to come through.

These other unwanted HF get amplified by our equipment chain though not in audible spectrum and cover up what we hear and mask those wanted details in the recording from being heard. Once you hear it with or without the micro microphone details you will be convinced. These small micro-details matter to our brains and should sound better to you. There will always be an audiophile that doesn’t like it. But it’s not a 6K Stealth power cord but imparts a lot of the same effects though much more less costly it even helped Al’s system of 30K plus of cords. Does same for a $300 cord but you will still get better sound if you have 3K cords.

Thinking about laying sheet or two on the outside top of my DMP and DSD, aligned/near their displays, to see if efficacious.

Thoughts…?

Just turned on the system after a week of shut down. I got the 3M sheet and will try it tomorrow night since it takes a day for the system to come back alive. I did find the transformer screw in on the left front side of P15; not at the center. So,it will take some experiments in trying to find the sweet spot (assuming I can hear the differences).

1 Like

Given transformer is left and display is right. I would try t from top first. Using sheet longest length and also 8 inch width. Trying to find which rectangle will cover half the forward and width of semicircle of toroidal transformer and display. You may need two pieces with a square slightly overlaps toroidal diameter and narrow rectangle for display or something of an irregular polygon. I would definitely start with transformer first. It will become apparent fairy quickly what is affecting sound.

I did not have much time to listen tonight but for this Album. It was Sinatra with in the room realism I had never experienced. The absorber really takes Regenerator performance to next level once you find the right position.

2 Likes

You have to tune it. Just a sheet any where doesn’t work as well. When I first tried it it was nothing. Then as I started moving it and heard something much better. So I thought I’d try the AB test with my wife and moving it more inadvertently found a nirvana location. I would work trying to cover half the toroid transformer location first since that has big effect in P20 and a strip near a display if equipment has it. The side of transformer with input and outputs seem to have best affect. The Lenz Law of energy conservation seems to like supercharge transformer when you affect EMF flow one side the other side picks up to match it.

It is really a strange phenomenon that through induction help and absorption of HF it may or may not help. It affects power supplies magnetic fields digital devices and memory locations with lots of switching going on most.

10-4.

Thanks.

Check out the absorber stuck to top of chips in this Phoenix OCXO clock unit. Looks strangely similar to 3M AB7050HF. I am telling you this stuff is the real deal in anything digital.

2 Likes

So, what you’re saying is that the absorber, applied properly to the lid, will improve the sound of the P20? I’m not disagreeing, just trying to understand what is being improved, the P20 or things near it.

I must be too tired from vacation last night. The screw has moved from left side to center when I checked the P15 this morning! So, the transformer is at center, and I will start with 8 x3.75 strip first and will report later.

1 Like

The noise in P20 is being absorbed. Thus power coming out of it improves and the parasitic users of cleaner power from P20 all contribute to better wholistic sound.

The 3M absorber doesn’t care where the emissions come from whether the P20 a DAC next to it, your WiFi or cellphone. It just absorbs anything it encounters and turns it to heat. The sheet being primarily perpendicular to the EMF or RF emissions seems to absorb more. Standing sheet straight up with only edge of sheet perpendicular to lid diminishes any a improvements

Note there is a digital ribbon cable, transformer and LED display all radiating in its flat direction from inside P20. So I surmise that is what is being affected. Placing sheet on bottom of unit similar location helps but not as much as forward center. Sheet on front, back or sides of P20 does nothing to the sound. I am surmising primary benefit is absorbing noise generated by the P20.

Placing sheet above or below my analog amps doesn’t change their sound but their transformer are sealed in metal case. I am betting and Class D Amp with a big transformer like my Lyngdorf will benefit. That I must try. A SMPS might benefit also.

Vmax … the issue with being unable to remove the P20 top threw me and caused me a big delay.
I had to try and get everything done before daylight faded.
I just about managed it.
I think I trimmed the absorber material to allow for the non overlap on the lid.
I still have a large strip left and may go through the process again in the near future to to ensure I make the best out of the tweak.

I also ran into a problem when re-trying my stereo last night, a cable issue that I had to leave until this morning. I’ve got this sorted now and looking forward to some music tonight.

I was able to test out the home cinema last night and watched Ransom on Netflix.
I thought the picture quality was great and the sound even better.
I was aware of the sound of the strings in the soundtrack being very natural, dialogue was crystal clear and effects were natural.
(I may have mentioned previously that I put the absorber into my processor. I used the same size as that of the P20. It may not be the ideal size but should provide some benefits.)

I’m really glad I’ve got the material installed now and can sit back and enjoy the benefits.
Thanks for coming up with this and all your helpful advice along the way.

1 Like

Or use width equivalent to distance from screw center point to forward edge be it whatever that dimension is or simply move sheet to determine what that dimension is then trim.

I am happy it worked out. It might be even better inside the P20 than outside. I hope to get mine internally installed this weekend.

Please let me know how your two channel sounds. Go back to the Beatles1 album. Tell me if it is same or better. Your Home Theater experience mirrors mine. My HT processor, McIntosh MX150 is also my 2 channel preamp and it disables digital circuits not used when switched to analog modes. I could hear no differences sheet above or below the processor. It has no display other than character LEDs. I should note cooling fins on top cover prevent placement of absorber directly above digital cards.

Negative compared to stock P20 gold fuse. For me Orange is a bit thinner and also loss of treble. After a month I was not enjoying the sound, putting back stock fuse made xylophones sound vibrant and correct. Harps sound sweet, delicate and well, Harppish. Purple still mutes the top, but makes thicker, more powerful sound which my system lacks.

This may be a dumb question but did you try the fuse in both directions?

This stuff is fun and effective. I first placed the AB7050 on top at the center with the front against the front panel; I heard better definition, resolution, and soundstage. the music has more energy with cleaner and clearer sound. It is like I just add a $2k cable from stock one.

I put it (8x3 3/4) under the P15, and there is improvement too. But I like it on top a little better. Then, I added a 2" trip right behind the display and the combination of the two improved even more.

The last try was moving the big strip to bottom center with the little strip on top of display. This time I didn’t feel I need to change it, and the combination is the one I like the most.

I do not know if PSA uses the same size of transformer for P15 and P20. If not, there may be some fine tuning needed to find the optimal sizing. But so far it is the best bargain tweak that I have ever known.

2 Likes

Awesome it works for the P15 too! That is what I love about this forum. We all share what works and hear no BS chatter just constructive feed back about what works. Don’t be afraid to play with it. We have enough early adopters that it is not psycho acoustic and anyone with ears can tell a difference in blind comparisons.

2 Likes