Pass Labs XA60.8

Thank you. And believe me, the Pass is good enough I was not sure at first. Like I mentioned, I could stay within the Pass line and be very content. This amp was voiced with my speakers and the two match beautifully and did up the game in many areas, separation and detail are the top features. I had a chance to talk to the president of Dagastino who is a very down to earth guy and was very helpful. However it was kind of a ego check as we were talking his entry level bargain basement stuff (lol). I have found in audio (and in cars) dealing with the entry level offerings of a top/premiere company is many times the best value if you can get there.

The Pass Labs XA25 being a case in point.

1 Like

Excellent example. And maybe like a First Watt J2? Those Avoir speakers look awesome too. I have Wilson. The match is awesome but there are so many great amps and speakers out there… Mind boggling. I’ll miss RMAF

Perhaps to move up the Pass food chain. I’ve owned 5 different Pass amps over the years, and had to “sell” the old ones each time.

2 Likes

Yes, it is rather unfortunate that the Audio Conventions have been cancelled. At one time I had kicked around the idea of Sabrina X and Pass 60.8. Then I went SET, Ha!

2 Likes

The “X” and the 60 would be amazing. However I bet what you have now is too. I have zero experience in the SET realm but it is popular for a reason. I would love to hear your system… Enjoy!

1 Like

I understand the quest to continually improve, but was hoping to find out WHAT those potential improvements would be…(for instance)
I have heard the Martin Logan Neolith speakers driven by good solid state amps (not going to mention the brand) and while was thoroughly impressed with imaging and soundstaging and ability of the amps to properly drive the unpowered woofers, was, at the same time, unimpressed that violins sounded as if they were made of steel and not wood.

Generally speaking…if the system is doing most things right in one instance and not generally right in another instance…the recording is logically the culprit in most cases. In this case it would seem the violins weren’t miked or recorded as well as they could have been…

1 Like

I wouldn’t personally know, as the Pass Labs, and anything that betters them is out of my price range, but here’s a video that touches on that exact topic.

Slowly but surely these are getting within striking range of my wallet:

4 Likes

You must have a hefty wallet…! But one thing it seems to illustrate is nothing holds its value like a Mac! That is a great “discount”. Definitely jump on those vkennedy61. I was kinda looking here:
https://www.dandagostino.com/products/progression-stereo-amplifier

3 Likes

this guy is a goof

2 Likes

His perspective is based on owning some of the best amplifiers made, like the Boulder monoblocks that sell for over 100G. I would think for that kind of money they out perform many highly regarded amps. Moot point for me, as they’re out of my reach.

I’m sure I’m just jaded, cranky, old, but spend what you like, it still doesn’t sound live.
It CAN make you happy, though.

1 Like

I’m perfectly happy with my BHK 250.

4 Likes

It’s the internet and everyone can sometimes be something they’re not. I unsubscribed from his YouTube feed. He suffers from ADD Audio Deficit Disorder. He doesn’t keep equipment long enough to evaluate. That tells me it’s mostly borrowed from people.

I agree, he’s constantly changing his reference system, making it harder to determine any meaningful differences, although he’s probably been exposed to more hi end audio gear than most reviews. Even though I can’t afford anything he reviews, I do find his videos entertaining at times.

He’s a knucklehead.

1 Like

That reference was in relation to my own system, where the violins do not sound so overly steelish at home, but the imaging and impact nowhere near the much superior Neolith.

1 Like

If those do it for you, and within in your means then there is no reason to wait. Easy for me to say as even at that price, it is beyond attainable. Could be worth a trip to Chicago to audition, or ship on condition of approval after 15 day “trial”.

1 Like